2013 Contract - Wage Issues - What Do You Want to See?

k946

Thnks 104, I understand that one contract would not surfice. But as long as the language stated you could not cross bid between Pak and Freight, the seniority issue would not come in to play. As far as being better now. The wages are with in pennies of the same, equipment is the same, benefits are the same and the BS, not even close to the same.

k946

I am the same way menotyou, I was talking about in uniform. Both have good and bad, professional and unprofessional but to judge the whole group by the actions of some.

brown_trousers

Im not sure what revenue looks like over in UPSF. But is it even a possibility to bring those drivers up to our wages and benefits without putting UPS freight in the red?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Im not sure what revenue looks like over in UPSF. But is it even a possibility to bring those drivers up to our wages and benefits without putting UPS freight in the red?

Nope. Since we r all "brothers" we should share. Lol As I said before the freight business model just does not allow for our type of wages.

k946

Not really sure, but again i think it could obtained over the next 2 contracts. At least point it in that direction. Not even sure freight can strike. My opinion is, and this is just my opinion. The closer the contracts come together the more strength we would have. Its just to divided right now. I think the wages between the drivers (other then the package guys) isn't really that different. So its more about the benefits. I do know they are not doing the volume they did compared to when it was overnight.

brown_trousers

Nope. Since we r all "brothers" we should share. Lol As I said before the freight business model just does not allow for our type of wages.

I'm usually pro-union. But I think it very irresponsible to negotiate wages that push a businesses' bottom line into the red. There has to be a compromise, so that both the business and the employees can show a positive cash flow.

k946

But at what point does management take responsibily for no profits? You can't put all the blame on the drivers for lack of freight. Freight received alot of small pak management, you just can't run them the same way. When the benefits and the wages eventually go up it will put more pressure on mangement to figure out how to make money. It is a double egded sword.

brown_trousers

But at what point does management take responsibily for no profits? You can't put all the blame on the drivers for lack of freight. Freight received alot of small pak management, you just can't run them the same way. When the benefits and the wages eventually go up it will put more pressure on mangement to figure out how to make money. It is a double egded sword.

there still needs to be a balance, and UPSF will need a little wiggle room with their bottom line if they want to grow. On the small package side, I think that even in our most aggressive contracts, we were always responsible enough to leave UPS with a decent profit margin. We never pushed UPS into the red

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
As I start year 5 as a part timer now, I'd like to see more performance based ways to make more money or be fastracked to promotions based on performance. I know these Unions seem absolutely against rewarding anyone but the lazy to the detriment of the union and the company, but if they were serious about staying strong, they should change their way of thinking. I work very hard every day because thats the way I am wired, but every day I am intimidated by fellow employees who want me to slow down...The common attitude in my hub is do as little as they can get away with and management doesn't even seem to care...some of them are as lazy as the employees. I'd like to see the people who actually seem to care about doing a good job be rewarded somehow. At the same time, motivate the rest.

Your attitude says you need to put your letter in and enter management.

Dracula

There is more to being a UPSer than a logo on the side of the truck or above the left pocket on the uniform shirt. There is a level of professionalism that I have yet to see from any of the Freight guys I have run in to.

A lot of people seem to forget that the Overnite drivers had a chance to join the union, but voted no. Hey, why should they get the same pay and benefits as us? You have to fight for it. They never went on strike, they never put their jobs on the line, like we did.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
There is more to being a UPSer than a logo on the side of the truck or above the left pocket on the uniform shirt. There is a level of professionalism that I have yet to see from any of the Freight guys I have run in to.

A lot of people seem to forget that the Overnite drivers had a chance to join the union, but voted no. Hey, why should they get the same pay and benefits as us? You have to fight for it. They never went on strike, they never put their jobs on the line, like we did.
Does that mean a driver that started after 1997 don't deserve their compensation either?

Dracula

I didn't say they didn't deserve it, but they didn't earn it, either. They jumped on the winning float, that's all. They filled out the right application.

k946

I think what you seem to forget Drac. is that the older overnight guys who voted against the union way back when were treated well by overnight. In todays age alot of those drivers with that mind set have retired or are ready to retire in just a few years. I am not sure what the percentage would be, but freight is made up of alot of former teamsters from CF, Yellow and other various union shops. I would think some of those guys helped base what you are receiving, so I think they earned it. You do understand the theory of the more you buy the cheaper the cost? This pertains to the benefits. Everbody wants to earn more money you as well as me. The wages aren't the biggest issue here. Its the benefits. The freight guys had no say in ups buying out overnight. I've stated many times, the men and woman who do 150+ stops aday earn what they get and deserve it. But you cannot base the profitability of the 2 seperately because the freight side will never be as profitable as the pak side. The pak side has what, maybe a handful of major competitors, the freight side has hundreds. Regular customers will not ship today over a nickel, tommorrow the price may change and we the shipment. You just cannot compare the 2 on equal terms.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
I thought we represented around 20% back in 1999 and they struck for 2 years to try and get full representation. Kind of moot now, I'd say lets move forward and show them that we're all Teamsters & we take care of our own.

brown_trousers

Does that mean a driver that started after 1997 don't deserve their compensation either?
This is the real world, not fairy tale land. American business has NEVER been about what people deserve to get. In the real business world you fight for your share of income, while your business fights for their share of the market, and so on and so on....

This would be a completely different world if it was based on what people deserved to get!

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I think what you seem to forget Drac. is that the older overnight guys who voted against the union way back when were treated well by overnight. In todays age alot of those drivers with that mind set have retired or are ready to retire in just a few years. I am not sure what the percentage would be, but freight is made up of alot of former teamsters from CF, Yellow and other various union shops. I would think some of those guys helped base what you are receiving, so I think they earned it. You do understand the theory of the more you buy the cheaper the cost? This pertains to the benefits. Everbody wants to earn more money you as well as me. The wages aren't the biggest issue here. Its the benefits. The freight guys had no say in ups buying out overnight. I've stated many times, the men and woman who do 150+ stops aday earn what they get and deserve it. But you cannot base the profitability of the 2 seperately because the freight side will never be as profitable as the pak side. The pak side has what, maybe a handful of major competitors, the freight side has hundreds. Regular customers will not ship today over a nickel, tommorrow the price may change and we the shipment. You just cannot compare the 2 on equal terms.

Then why do u keep trying to compare us?!?!?!?!? Listen I don't know anything about your pay or benefits but you should be comparing your compensation to other companies in your line of work. You said so yourself we can't be compared.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I thought we represented around 20% back in 1999 and they struck for 2 years to try and get full representation. Kind of moot now, I'd say lets move forward and show them that we're all Teamsters & we take care of our own.

Does this mean that you would be willing to walk if the Freight drivers decided to strike, even if it meant doing so could cost you your job?

k946

I'm not comparing company to company. I am comparing job to job which is same thing everyone on here is doing. All you hear is 150+ stops, thats the comparison. Very few of our competitors are not under the master freight agreement who are unionized. At this rate UPS will not have to divide and conquer, we will do it to ourselves.