2013 Contract - Wage Issues - What Do You Want to See?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Upstate, that point is useless, freight cannot strike.

The point is valid----if Freight were allowed to strike, would other UPS union hourlies honor that strike, even if their operations were not locked out and if doing so meant they could lose their jobs?

(I did not know that Freight could not strike)

k946

OK, now that you know, if you read back in my posts. And just on the strike issue. What happens if the shoe goes on the other foot. You strike and we can't. You know what the company is going to do. You don't think they will play one against the other?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The point is valid----if Freight were allowed to strike, would other UPS union hourlies honor that strike, even if their operations were not locked out and if doing so meant they could lose their jobs?

(I did not know that Freight could not strike)

How would that mean losing our job?

Next time try quoting my entire post, not just the part that fit your answer. The part you left out asked "would other UPS union hourlies honor that strike, even if their operations were not locked out...?" Wouldn't that be job abandonment?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

OK, now that you know, if you read back in my posts. And just on the strike issue. What happens if the shoe goes on the other foot. You strike and we can't. You know what the company is going to do. You don't think they will play one against the other?

I'm sure they would, much like they tried to play the pilots against us in 1997.

k946

So they only real support they could give each other in that situation is moral support. Ups knew exactly what they were doing when they bought out overnight. That deal in my opinion was cut and dried and hashed out completely before we ever got wind of it. Did you also know that freight still doesn't have a set of work rules? That just keeps getting postponed. Imagine that! It is alot more in depth then just wages and benefits

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
Here in AZ we had our Feeder work rules rushed in 2001 and had some good language but a lot of contradictory stuff that led to confusion and discontent. Just last year we had the rules "clarified" and fixed a lot of problems & put in Letters of Understanding that solved most of that. Of course, some fixes caused unforeseen problems, or not depending on your perspective. So don't feel too bad about not having work rules quite yet as I would suggest spending a lot of time trying to get it right.

k946

I have to agree. I think it was all hashed out before they bought ovnt. I also think alot of the older teamsters trying to get to retirement voted to go union quickly knowing in a few short years they were done (just my opinion). Can't really blame them for wanting to increase their pensions. But I think in the long run it hurt more then it helped.

brown_trousers

That was negotiated by teamsters. You tell me? And no, I didn't vote to accept that either.

As you will find out here on this forum. Alot of the people here like to hate on fellow groups of Teamsters, a.k.a. Part-timers, because they dont raise enough votes to get good contra t language for themselves.

sounds like you may be in the same situation as part-timers.

k946

I hope your right about leaving out of the next contract, but I would bet that doesn't happen. If it does, I can only imagine what other concessions they will want. In all honesty BT when I didn't expect much sympathy. And this isn't meant personally, but the half brother comments and the not being as great as the small pak is what we have been hearing from day one. And thats fine, I just hope through all this you guys understand what UPS will try if given just half a chance. Due to my injury I will be kicked to curb shortly anyway. My father was a union steward for 20+ years. I lived thru the strikes and am very well aware of how it affects people/ families. I am also well aware how slimy and underhanded BIG business is.

brown_trousers

I hope your right about leaving out of the next contract, but I would bet that doesn't happen. If it does, I can only imagine what other concessions they will want. In all honesty BT when I didn't expect much sympathy. And this isn't meant personally, but the half brother comments and the not being as great as the small pak is what we have been hearing from day one. And thats fine, I just hope through all this you guys understand what UPS will try if given just half a chance. Due to my injury I will be kicked to curb shortly anyway. My father was a union steward for 20+ years. I lived thru the strikes and am very well aware of how it affects people/ families. I am also well aware how slimy and underhanded BIG business is.

I think freight will find support from small package Teamsters, just not welfare support like some are talking about. It really doesn't sound like freight can support $31/hr wages. Whatever wages that are negotiated need to be within the profit boundaries of UPS freight.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I think freight will find support from small package Teamsters, just not welfare support like some are talking about. It really doesn't sound like freight can support $31/hr wages. Whatever wages that are negotiated need to be within the profit boundaries of UPS freight.

Based on that logic, Air Drivers would make twice what the "primarily Ground UPS driver" makes per hour.
Furthermore, Feeder drivers would be making the least of any driver.