2014 full time drivers

Discussion in 'UPS Union Issues' started by jw1929, Sep 25, 2015.

1. jw1929

jw1929 New Member

Does anyone know if 2014 new full time driver hires count against the ratio that a center is supposed to abide by, whether they be inside or outside hires?

2. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

The ratio is 6:1 regardless of the year they were hired.

3. jw1929

jw1929 New Member

Ok I was told that in our center because of the new contract that 2014 outside hires didn't count against the ratio. Reason I am concerned is because I was told I won a bid to be a full time driver but then a month later was bumped from the list because they said they had to hire an outside hand because of the ratio. Well 6 possibly 7 hires previous to me were in fact all inside but previous to that in 2014 (which 3 of those 7 came from) they hired on 5 or 6 off the street all in a row so I feel like I'm getting jipped big time here.

4. UpstateNYUPSer

5. jw1929

jw1929 New Member

What's not true? That they don't count against the ratio? Do I have a case to file a grievance in your opinion?

6. UpstateNYUPSer

All new hires, regardless of the year, count against the ratio.

7. Rainman

Rainman Its all good.

You need to ask someone who actually knows, not just think he knows it all.

8. jw1929

jw1929 New Member

Seems I get different answers from everyone shop stewards, hr, center manager all with different claims.... Who would be the person to ask? I've downloaded pdfs of our master, regional and local union contracts yet still can't find the definitive answer I'm looking for so thats why I posted in here, hoping someone could help me.

9. Inthegame

Inthegame Well-Known Member

The only way "that in our center because of the new contract that 2014 outside hires didn't count against the ratio" would be the result of a grievance settlement, otherwise you were lied to. The 6:1 ratio is the rule throughout the terms of this agreement, 2013-2018. If the company hired more outside in 2014 than 6:1 it was most likely from a lack of interested pt's at that time. If any pt had been skipped, they should have filed, at that time. If "6 possibly 7 hires previous to me were in fact all inside" it appears the rotation would be for an outside hire.
    That said, for an accurate answer, this issue needs to be addressed by your BA.

10. UpstateNYUPSer

Seems like we have the one Rainman who doesn't have a clue.

11. Rainman

Rainman Its all good.

I know that I don't know everything about everything.
    That's something you haven't figured out yet.

12. But at least you something!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List