2018 contract Teamcare for retirees

Elvis

Forty and out
In the West before 65 retiree insurance is $300 for the member $995 for the spouse. Guarantee it will go up in January. If the contract gives us some relief there will be a flood of 7 week vacationer retirements. UPS should like that.

In the West before 65 retiree insurance is $300 for the member $995 for the spouse. Guarantee it will go up in January. If the contract gives us some relief there will be a flood of 7 week vacationer retirements. UPS should like that.
$200 single and $400 for a couple. Before this last contract it was $50 & $100

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
You can get the union insurance you had when you were an active employee after you retire and are on medicare with a supplement?

EDIT: you can use your old, active teamster insurance as a supplement to medicare?
Here we can. Just got a letter in the mail the other day. Basically said you and your wife will covered forever under our insurance

ski or die

Ski or Die
Here we can. Just got a letter in the mail the other day. Basically said you and your wife will covered forever under our insurance
Hang onto that letter. When I turned 65, went on Medicare and purchased a supplemental policy. 5 months later, UPS contacted me and told me I wasn't allowed to have supplemental policy and had to cancel it. 2 months later, UPS contacted me and said my insurance was supposed to end on the first of the month of turning 65, so they were retroactively cancelling the last 7 months. In order to purchase a Supplemental policy, you must have insurance in effect within the last 6 months or you will have to go through underwriting to purchase. So if you have any pre-existing conditions you will be denied. Had to end up contacting a Federal Agency to get it all corrected. UPS ending up providing insurance for the 7 months and a letter stating that, and I was able to purchase a Supplement.

The Milkman

$200 single and $400 for a couple. Before this last contract it was $50 & $100

The door was opened when the last contract was ratified and current members allowed retiree health insurance to go up. Now it can and will continue to creep up, eating away at your take home pension check each month and those who voted yes will be paying for their vote when they retire. These will seem like the good old days somewhere down the road

The door was opened when the last contract was ratified and current members allowed retiree health insurance to go up. Now it can and will continue to creep up, eating away at your take home pension check each month and those who voted yes will be paying for their vote when they retire. These will seem like the good old days somewhere down the road
It's a damn shame. I'm not happy about it and I'm still working.

Ms.PacMan

The new contract should have all regions with an age of 52 as the minimum age for retiree health plan eligibility instead of the 55 in certain regions with all the different exceptions.

That would be nice but I'm bracing for 52 being raised to 55 not the other way around.

ski or die

Ski or Die
I was lucky enough to hit 65 before new contract was enforce. Medicare and good Supplement is a lot better insurance. My spouse will be close to 65 before they can hurt us with new increases. Employees nearing retirement are not realizing how much they will be hurting there own retirement by allowing the company to continually increase their share of the cost. Many just look at what they can currently receive in wage increases and not concern themselves with the future when they retire. While working, I was a steward, and each contract I would push for additional pension contributions. Looking at the different premiums such as the West which is extremely high, consideration for their future should be in the picture.

twoweeled

The retirees really got their healthcare slashed this contract. Plus having to pay $400 a month, for a family in premiums. If the retirees are paying $400 a month now, how much will retirees be paying in 5 years? 10 years?

plus the benefits are not as good as the active workers. Does anyone have any idea how the retiree healthcare plan should be changed ? I would like to hear them. Maybe some people just wants to keep working until they are 65, but your body has to make it, mine did not. I know it was my fault for not following the methods.
Being as retirees can't vote them out of office, the retirees will not be getting anything good. Retirees are kids who have been thrown out of the house. Don't look for positive changes.

twoweeled

Our retiree insurance has a $210,000 a year cap...that's ridiculous. If someone retires and then gets cancer, they are screwed both physically and financially.
Active employees should really concern themselves more with retiree benefits. It will affect active employees sooner than you think.

twoweeled

I was lucky enough to hit 65 before new contract was enforce. Medicare and good Supplement is a lot better insurance. My spouse will be close to 65 before they can hurt us with new increases. Employees nearing retirement are not realizing how much they will be hurting there own retirement by allowing the company to continually increase their share of the cost. Many just look at what they can currently receive in wage increases and not concern themselves with the future when they retire. While working, I was a steward, and each contract I would push for additional pension contributions. Looking at the different premiums such as the West which is extremely high, consideration for their future should be in the picture.
You are correct. It will affect those nearing retirement, but I think it will affect employees retiring in the far future even more! The trend is bad for retirees and will become a lot worse for those retiring in the far future. I'm guessing we have to work and additional 2 years till retirement to make up for that $300 health plan. Our retirement increases aprox $150 a year. Who knows how many years you'll have to work to compensate for the increases in the health plan? Maybe 4-5 years more work till retirement? Unless the pension plan does extraordinarily well? I think we all know that isn't going to happen, if our past is any indication of what's coming. We're cutting our own throats again.

twoweeled

Wow.. more than double ours.. what you're calling ridiculous would be great here... Cancer ?... get a hang nail and a week stay in the hospital and you're screwed
A heart attack and one or two days in the hospital will take almost $40-$50K. Twice in the same year and you are screwed!!

Pismo Bill

I don't know about other plans but mine also kicks you off when you become eligible for Medicare.
retired on the the southern california contract. Before last contract $150 premiums for single and $300 for couples when medicare kicks in it becomes secondary last lifetime even if employee dies spouse gets it for their lifetime

Ms.PacMan

57 is my worst nightmare.

When they got rid of the Obamacare subsidies it lowered the premiums of a bronze plan to zero in my state with a $6,000 max out of pocket and I dont think there's a ceiling on coverage. It might be my plan B.

You can defer insurance once, right?