2021 Buyout?

DaveA

Sharpen about resume because they are chipping supervisors
I hope you enjoy it

Thanks for the kind words. No need to sharpen it just yet. I think I would take a year off if I were to be offered a buyout or even just be laid off. I'm a 20 year sup and while I have 10 years to go until retirement, I likely would take a buyout if it gave me a small nest egg while I relocate and look for other employment. Not sure I'm in the target group if there is an ops buyout. Maybe I'll find out soon enough!

Thanks for the kind words. No need to sharpen it just yet. I think I would take a year off if I were to be offered a buyout or even just be laid off. I'm a 20 year sup and while I have 10 years to go until retirement, I likely would take a buyout if it gave me a small nest egg while I relocate and look for other employment. Not sure I'm in the target group if there is an ops buyout. Maybe I'll find out soon enough!
We have no supervisor left. Everyone is on special assignment whatever that means

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier

Hate to say it..With 20 in and 10 to go and still a supervisor...you are in the (target) group.

Expect a buy out before 2023, they will be thinning out the herd before eliminating further funding to your pension plan. Their final goal is to lessen the number of active participants before that date, saving additional paperwork and cost.

Your twenty will be there if you decide to stay, you have rights under ERISA, you will have three options:

A Stay and stick it out..stuff that 401k match to the max and get out at 65 when you become eligible for that vested time and also Medicare.

B. Take the buy out, which will not include any retirees’ health and welfare coverages and go to greener pastures. You will not be eligible for any future pension benefits also, study the history of previous buyouts and choose wisely.

C. Stay till you drop, if you make it to age 70 1/2 you will be required to collect your pension benefits under the UPS Retirement Plan, you can triple dip .. SS at 67 ... pension at 70 1/2... and your salary without any penalties except the standard income tax...Only the brave and sturdy or stupid takes that option...

I would choose option C if you are vindictive or mad enough to get back at the company on how they are treating you for your loyal years of service. 👹

DaveA

Hate to say it..With 20 in and 10 to go and still a supervisor...you are in the (target) group.

Expect a buy out before 2023, they will be thinning out the herd before eliminating further funding to your pension plan. Their final goal is to lessen the number of active participants before that date, saving additional paperwork and cost.

Your twenty will be there if you decide to stay, you have rights under ERISA, you will have three options:

A Stay and stick it out..stuff that 401k match to the max and get out at 65 when you become eligible for that vested time and also Medicare.

B. Take the buy out, which will not include any retirees’ health and welfare coverages and go to greener pastures. You will not be eligible for any future pension benefits also, study the history of previous buyouts and choose wisely.

C. Stay till you drop, if you make it to age 70 1/2 you will be required to collect your pension benefits under the UPS Retirement Plan, you can triple dip .. SS at 67 ... pension at 70 1/2... and your salary without any penalties except the standard income tax...Only the brave and sturdy or stupid takes that option...

I would choose option C if you are vindictive or mad enough to get back at the company on how they are treating you for your loyal years of service. 👹

Hope you are right. 55 is going to be a challenge for me. 70...not a chance.

I would very likely take a buyout. Pension is frozen for all management effective January 1, 2023. I will still receive a very healthy pension from having 20+ years in. If I stay I can take early retirement at 55. Reality is I would likely still have to work part time to bridge the gap to 65. Not just for healthcare, but also income. Also, once the pension is frozen, they start putting some serious money into my 401k as a makeup contribution. I'm at the higher end of these 'extra' 401k makeup contributions because of my years of service. So I do think that likely get me in the targeted group if there is an ops buyout. Time will tell...

Last edited:

gamecock65

Agreed re: job entitlement. The nice thing about being in management is that I have experience and a college degree to put on my resume. I'm quite confident in my ability to obtain another job.
I was forced out in February, after 15 years. It took me all of two weeks to find another job making a little more salary than I was making at UPS (no MIP though). So for a little less total annual comp, I went from being tethered to my work cell 24/7 to no work cell, I went from working throughout a vacation to total relaxation on vacation, I went from taking calls all throughout the weekend to having no weekend interruptions whatsoever, and come December I'll be spending lots of time with my family and doing holiday things I never had time for in the past. UPS is just an ok employer, they pay you just enough to keep you from looking elsewhere but monopolize your time and mental health in return. The grass is greener on the other side.

DaveA

I was forced out in February, after 15 years. It took me all of two weeks to find another job making a little more salary than I was making at UPS (no MIP though). So for a little less total annual comp, I went from being tethered to my work cell 24/7 to no work cell, I went from working throughout a vacation to total relaxation on vacation, I went from taking calls all throughout the weekend to having no weekend interruptions whatsoever, and come December I'll be spending lots of time with my family and doing holiday things I never had time for in the past. UPS is just an ok employer, they pay you just enough to keep you from looking elsewhere but monopolize your time and mental health in return. The grass is greener on the other side.

Sorry to hear of the tough times with UPS. I know supervisors with similar stories. I am in a center with a seasoned manager and we run pretty well, though we have more onroads than most buildings and that certainly helps. My manager retires in less than three years, which concerns me for the future.

I have positioned myself to be able to take a substantial cut in pay. No issues there. My biggest dilemma is walking away from the substantial amount of money they will start to put in my 401k in 2023. I am a big believer that money isn't everything, however, so we shall see how things shake out over the next few years.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
I am also surprised that HR, I.E, LP, P/E etc have yet to be outsourced
IE can't be outsourced, the fact that you think it can be shows you know 0 about the department

IE could be better organized, but no one in charge thinks organization or a functional (not large) bureaucracy means anything, then they wonder why nothing is executed properly and no one knows anything

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
Btw yes ops will be offered VSAP, there is a :censored2:load of redundancy and waste in the ops, especially in the on-road, hub, and preload functions