Do you believe the 22.4 hybrid will pass on this contract

• YES

Votes: 23 37.7%
  • NO

Votes: 38 62.3%

• Total voters

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
That's what I was thinking. I mean if you were only out driving for 4 hours it wouldn't be bad. I can't imagine peak where you have to be at work around 2 AM and they have you out running routes til who knows what time at night.
The 14 hour rule still exists
But starting work at 2AM, ending at 2-4PM and trying to get sleep at 5PM might be hell, especially in the summer season.
Prime day?

1989NW

The language says that up to half the number of drivers can be 22.4. So 100 hybrid positions could be created in your building. The language also states that hybrid drivers can work their entire shift as drivers. It will be very easy to cut OT now.

It will be a very long time before UPS hires another ft driver.
So if 100 hybrid positions could be created in a building wouldn't that mean that they would need 100 new trucks and 100 spots to park the trucks to load them? That would be a big chore

dogs.bite.me

Absoulutly. Preloading is extremely physically demanding. The preloaders are exhausted at the end of.their shift as it is. And then they are going to be put behind the wheel. Yikes. Let's hope this hybrid $ saving scheme does not lead to more injuries and accidents.

Please it's not that bad. I preloaded then TCD for years.

Most of these guys and girls are going to another job afterwards already.

F

Frankie's Friend

So if 100 hybrid positions could be created in a building wouldn't that mean that they would need 100 new trucks and 100 spots to park the trucks to load them? That would be a big chore
Not really.
Got an hour and a half to dock the truck inside after the PC drivers have left for the day.

Load the second start time (hybrid) routes and send them out.

It can be done with uniform but staggered start times.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
every new driver is now hired for t-s. it says that if a top rate tues-sat driver moves to a mon-fri job his old t-s job is eliminated and filled with a hybird driver. after 5 years your center will hit the 50% threshold and have 100 hybrid drivers.

dogs.bite.me

I used to do exception air EAM, then TCD. 14 hour days in package really are "that" bad.... They're accidents waiting to happen.

So what you're saying is these hybrids, if implemented, will need the 9.5 protections we have.

If they are exempt from 9.5 protections, that works probably swing me to a no vote.

dogs.bite.me

Second class drivers are a no vote for me period the end.
So if they are limited to 4 hours a day driving, unless an act of God, you would still vote no.

A provision should be written that if they drive for more than, say 5 hours, in any 24 hours they get bumped to top rate driver pay. How about them?

OrionsBitch

Not...
So if they are limited to 4 hours a day driving, unless an act of God, you would still vote no.

A provision should be written that if they drive for more than, say 5 hours, in any 24 hours they get bumped to top rate driver pay. How about them?
Yeah that way the can cut normals routes, and build new ones for hybrid drivers so they get labor at half price for most of the day.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right

If they pay them the same rate as a current FT driver for all hours worked I'll vote Yes. Explain to me why they should make less....

dogs.bite.me

If they pay them the same rate as a current FT driver for all hours worked I'll vote Yes. Explain to me why they should make less....
Because they are loading a truck for half their shift.

I agree with you. If they do a full day driving, pay them our rate.

If they do a split, 4 hr loading/ delivering bulk or resis.

I am just throwing things out there because we don't know what the language is yet.

But I'm just curious if there is any way they could squeeze this hybrid in and it be acceptable?

dogs.bite.me

Yeah that way the can cut normals routes, and build new ones for hybrid drivers so they get labor at half price for most of the day.

You do realize the seniority language hasn't left the contract?

The only time I see that being an issue, and yes it concerns me, is them loading up the weekends.
Then Monday we come in and 1/2 the routes are cut.

dogs.bite.me

No.
Adding another second class driver position is a no vote.
Period.
Fair enough.
I'm open to it if say it's only 10% the number of top rate drivers.
100 top rate drivers + 10 hybrids.

Ratio must stay at 10%

If they can't do the work with that, then they hire more top rate drivers.

There also must be stern language as to how they can be used.

And IF this contract goes through, we need to file and hold the company accountable for any misuse. We, the union, (yes we the membership have the power) have to grow some balls.

PizzaToUps

Will 22.4 drivers only work 8 hours? I’m currently a cover driver making 27 an hour and I’m beyond tired of being forced to work 12 hours each day.... I just want an 8 hour workday...

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
The language says that up to half the number of drivers can be 22.4. So 100 hybrid positions could be created in your building. The language also states that hybrid drivers can work their entire shift as drivers. It will be very easy to cut OT now.

It will be a very long time before UPS hires another ft driver.

I thought I had read 25% somewhere, which is still too high of a percentage for me. The only way I would vote Yes with the hybrid drivers in the contract would be for everything else to be positive and the cap for hybrid at 15% of total routes or less.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Also, working in the hub for 4 hours and only driving for 4 hours sounds like easy money.
No way. Very likely they'll load you up even more: 2 and 8, 5 and 8 , or 2.5 and 11.

Pay FT inside for inside, FT driver for driving, this is what could make the position tolerable. A consistant driver wage will naturally cut out the abuse of using a hybrid over a regular.