3 day ride and my experience

SuperSup

DAY 1:

Well, today was the first day of the so called "3 day ride" ..everything went well (was going well) until I had this situation. Around 4:30 pm

I was going to make a right in an intersection and I saw the green light (stale) as I approach the intersection, it then became yellow then red so I have to stop right in the corner. The supervisor then told me that it was green and why am I slowing down? "it was green and its green right there, why did you slow down?" so I then said "It is yellow (stale green) and it turned red" then he said, "no its green" and then all of a sudden he lost it!

He said:
"You know what, ALL DAY you have been driving slow UNDER speed limit" "we have to change that" etc.etc.... I told him that I am not really that slow and that I am not comfortable driving at speed limit at the residential where I am delivering at for obvious reasons = Kids, cars, and more kids popping up everywhere. He said you will have to change that and that is what I want you to do (drive at speed limit). I told him no I wont do that because i dont feel comfortable/safe doing that. He then kept going and I told him that I wont do it (speed up and go on speed limit) and he told me that "then you should not be working here"...

In closing, NO I did not do 5-15 mph on a 25mph street. Otherwise I wont ever finish my route. My day was great and I heard no comment from him regarding my habits etc...etc... before that incident happened. I think he cant find anything wrong and he is trying to find something to report. its 4:30 for crying out loud, my shift/route is almost over. And whats with the "you shouldnt even be working here" when I said I dont think I can drive like that?

Yeah, I am not rookie too. just sayin...

So, you run over allowed, your sup rides with you, tells you that you are driving too slow, and you refuse to listen. Where I'm at, you're gone, failure to follow methods plus failure to work as directed. You are not paid to think, you are paid to give a fair days work for a fair days pay, and it's obvious on this methods ride you decided to try to find ways to slow down to justify you piss poor performance. Guess what? We pay you the high wages to perform at a high rate of speed. Don't like it? Be a man and quit, instead of stealing a paycheck from the company.

NI1

So, you run over allowed, your sup rides with you, tells you that you are driving too slow, and you refuse to listen. Where I'm at, you're gone, failure to follow methods plus failure to work as directed. You are not paid to think, you are paid to give a fair days work for a fair days pay, and it's obvious on this methods ride you decided to try to find ways to slow down to justify you piss poor performance. Guess what? We pay you the high wages to perform at a high rate of speed. Don't like it? Be a man and quit, instead of stealing a paycheck from the company.

LOL.... why would I quit. I am man enough to last 15 years without having a '3 day ride' I dont have any record of 'slowing down'. In fact the route I was in before this one I was running 20 over (up to 35). I never complained because I can go home at a decent time. And now all of a sudden my methods are not good?

Also, what in the world are you talking about? 'purposely' slowing down? are you kidding me? if you are really a supervisor you should resign now and quit! you lack comprehension! this happend at 4:30 pm and I am about done with the route! He told me 2 hours before that mh 'phase' and everything is great. Then the 'stale green light' incident happen.

You crack me up with your comment. That is how all you sups do it. stupidity101 is really your specialty.:clubbing:

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"
Are you for real? I bet half of your time is spent preaching safety and then you have the nerve to post this? How in the world can you sleep at night? I've been wondering, when they promote you to supervisor do they tell you you have to give up all morals and common sense? Some of the things that I have seen the management do to people who are trying their best to comply with all the crap that is required is appalling. If anything it is unethical if not immoral. You should read your own post and really think about what you just said to a person that is considering safety above all. How would you feel if you had to be the supe that had to write the report about this driver running over a child because he wasn't "working as directed"? Your response to this was just short of nauseating.

brownrodster

"if it is not safe then do not do it."

You do not have to follow any direction that is unsafe, dishonest or illegal.

supersup and all his lackeys can shove their unsafe, dishonest and illegal directions where the sun don't shine.

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"
they could probably find 8 on the tractor pretrip alone. :happy-very:
I've not been in feeders since January 5th. Haven't pre-tripped anything except my pick-up and my tractors I use around here. I would invite you to come and watch my pre-trip when I go back to feeders next week. I'll bet you lunch you can't find 8 gigs on my pre-trip.

UnconTROLLed

perfection

This person makes Tieguy seem union-friendly.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member

Most supervisors DRINK THE KOOL-AID !

You, on the otherhand, are swimming in it. With that kind of attitude, you won't be in the same place for too long.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I'm sorry UPS, you can't preach safety on me and then tell me to hurry up in dangerous situations.

What they preach and what they really expect will never meet.

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
I was told many times that driving the speed limit on area isn't that big of deal. The methods on car such as park close, secure, selection, proper use of carry aid, customer contact affect a drivers day a lot more!

My supervisor at home always has been a lot tougher than anyone at Big Brown, at least that what I let her think.

tieguy

Banned
LOL.... why would I quit. I am man enough to last 15 years without having a '3 day ride' I dont have any record of 'slowing down'. In fact the route I was in before this one I was running 20 over (up to 35). I never complained because I can go home at a decent time. And now all of a sudden my methods are not good?

Also, what in the world are you talking about? 'purposely' slowing down? are you kidding me? if you are really a supervisor you should resign now and quit! you lack comprehension! this happend at 4:30 pm and I am about done with the route! He told me 2 hours before that mh 'phase' and everything is great. Then the 'stale green light' incident happen.

You crack me up with your comment. That is how all you sups do it. stupidity101 is really your specialty.:clubbing:

While it may feel good to yell at the sup who is being honest in his opinion here you dodged the real question. Why are you suddenly getting all this attention from your management team.

helenofcalifornia

Supersup is back from his Brown Cafe-imposed timeout! And he apparently thinks the over/under numbers are accurate. I see a 20 year old pimply PT wannabe-Tie supe that couldn't supervise himself out of a brown paper bag. Can it be too long before the offensive name calling comes?

tieguy

Banned
I've not been in feeders since January 5th. Haven't pre-tripped anything except my pick-up and my tractors I use around here. I would invite you to come and watch my pre-trip when I go back to feeders next week. I'll bet you lunch you can't find 8 gigs on my pre-trip.

tell me what necessary documents you need to carry on the tractor without looking it up.

tieguy

Banned

I am union friendly I'm not friendly to those who use the union to do a crappy job.

The words that supersup uses are words I have seen many drivers use in reference to those who slack off.

Its definitely not a phrasing unique to management.

NI1

I am union friendly I'm not friendly to those who use the union to do a crappy job.

The words that supersup uses are words I have seen many drivers use in reference to those who slack off.

Its definitely not a phrasing unique to management.

So answer me this 'Sir'

If you are a supe or whatever your title is. What are you doing in a forum this early? you called in? arent you suppose to be dispatching or managing your center?

When you say 'slack off' what does that mean? does that mean drivers who 'you think' doesnt come up with the numbers according to UPS?

How are you going to tell me, a 15 year driver, who has never been in the office EVER (besides representing other drivers on occasion), had 2 routes in the center this center in the last 5 years, and did those routes effectively to the point that I was being over dispatched by 20-30 everyday.+++Before I continue YES I was allowing them to overdispatch me because the stops the route has is so tight and easy that I can pull it off and go home to my family in a decent time.+++ .... Showed up to work everyday! Then I got a new route that started NICE and gradually became a nightmare.

I opted "in" in January. In constant communication with my center manager who is aware of my problems in the route, kept doing my job under the trust to what the boss has said "I will fix it" 5 months later the route has become worst! so that leave me without a choice but to file 9.5... Are you telling me that "I" wasnt doing anything right that is why I am getting this attention? and all of a sudden my 'methods' is not right? be honest tie guy, whats the deal here?

oh btw...why does it keep showing up that I am under time while I punched out at 8:30? great system right?

raceanoncr

tell me what necessary documents you need to carry on the tractor without looking it up.

The latest issue of Playboy(I usually read it with one hand anyway). A list of female truck stop "friends". A running itemization of what alcohol I need to pick up after run is over.

UPSBOI

You don't want to know!
If he is sitting in a jump seat how can he possible tell what speed you are going? I mean from that angle it would be pretty hard to see the speedo.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
The first thing that that popped into my mind, is why you were given a 3 day ride?
Why did you leave that part of the story out?
As far as the stale green light at an intersection , I agree.
In a neighborhood situation, I always drive slow. More than once, this has prevented me from injuring, or God forbid, killing a child.
I use a very simple rule driving, no matter if it is highway, or the bumpy back roads.
I never drive faster than I can see.
Sat, it's the flavor of the year. Let's lock em in at our unreasonable numbers. This to shall pass!

As you can see, you've spoken all the colors of the rainbow. Too many things to comment on, so I'll just say, Hardy, Hardy, Har. Thanks for the laugh.

btw.. you sound like a PT rookie sup that just got done getting yelled at by your boss. lol
There, take that!

"if it is not safe then do not do it."

You do not have to follow any direction that is unsafe, dishonest or illegal.

supersup and all his lackeys can shove their unsafe, dishonest and illegal directions where the sun don't shine.
Ouch!

:surprised: