401k, how is yours allocated?

kingOFchester

Mine:
S&P 500 Equity index fund 20%
S&P 400 Midcap index fund 20%
Russell 2000 index fund 20%
Bright Horizon 2030 fund 20%
International index fund 20%

I just added the international fund. Previously, I was at 25% with the first 4 funds.

Year to date down 6%, Last quarter up 11%

Roth IRA:
Fedex stock
Spy (S&P 500)
A few stocks that I trade on and off again.

Just thought we could discuss what our retirement planning looks like,

MODERATORS, thought it would be good to post in this forum as a lot of posters don't venture over to the retirement forum.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

KOC, thank you for posting this. Previous to this I had my 401K solely in the S&P 500. I diversified following your advice this morning--the only change was I chose the Bright Horizon 2020 as I retire in 2019.

I think this thread should be moved to the retirement forum.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
KOC, thank you for posting this. Previous to this I had my 401K solely in the S&P 500. I diversified following your advice this morning--the only change was I chose the Bright Horizon 2020 as I retire in 2019.

Good move Dave since you are approaching retirement age.
Another move you might consider is a bond based fund or a higher percent than KoC in the BH 2020 since it has a bond mix within it.

I think this is a good thread for people who are still in the long-term phase of their investing for retirement.

KoC might consider moving the BH 2030 into S&P 500 along with 5% on IAFE into Russell. Age range 25 - 40. Bright Horizon funds have a higher cost structure than the Index funds which means less of your money growing your nest egg.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Bright Horizon funds are designed to give you the correct asset allocation for your particular time horizon. It would seem one would be doubling up on the same investments by mixing it in. I'm 25% each S&P, Mid-Cap, Russel and Intl. I'm the same age and will retire the same year as Dave.

BrownBlue

New Jack
Really, no one else in the REIT. It pissed itself when it first came on but has by far out performed all the others lately. There is only so much land to go around, they can always make more stock pie in the sky.

ups1990

Upstate, can you please explain the rationale of the BH 2020 move? You and Hoaxter along with others are way more savvy in these sorts of matter than me.
thanks.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Upstate, can you please explain the rationale of the BH 2020 move? You and Hoaxter along with others are way more savvy in these sorts of matter than me.
thanks.
When you go to the zoo, they post signs saying 'Don't feed the animals'. We need a sign on Upstate's avatar, "Don't feed the ego."

Dizzee!!!! Help!!

iowa boy

Really, no one else in the REIT. It pissed itself when it first came on but has by far out performed all the others lately. There is only so much land to go around, they can always make more stock pie in the sky.

I'm in this fund also. Can't believe how good its done since I got into it. This will be the last fund I come out of as it has outpreformed everything I have.

EDIT:

In looking at my financials online, my S&P 400 did better in the last 3 months than my REIT did.

over9five

Staff member
Semi- related:

Anyone ever try to set up beneficiaries for your UPS stock? It is very easy to do it for your 401k, but I can't find a way to do it on the Mellon site for UPS stock.

trickpony1

Wait a minute.......
I thought one of your more infamous quotes was "...money isn't everything....

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Wait a minute.......
I thought one of your more infamous quotes was "...money isn't everything....

Money isn't everything---some of the nicest people I have ever met didn't have a pot to piss in. BUT, I plan on enjoying my retirement and in order to do so I am fully funding (35%) my 401k. We all work hard and make good money---I am finally in a position (thanks, Dave Ramsey) where I can put some money away for old Dave.

If you notice its people with money who say money isnt everything.

When the Beatles wrote all you need is love, they were already rich.

If money was everything don't you think I would slow down and get some OT?

kingOFchester

I have got so much to learn.

Hoax, I am 39....can you go into a little more detail. I do see that the BH has higher fee's.

Upstate, Got to love Dave Ramsey.

texan

Mine:
S&P 500 Equity index fund 20%
S&P 400 Midcap index fund 20%
Russell 2000 index fund 20%
Bright Horizon 2030 fund 20%
International index fund 20%

I just added the international fund. Previously, I was at 25% with the first 4 funds.

Year to date down 6%, Last quarter up 11%

Roth IRA:
Fedex stock
Spy (S&P 500)
A few stocks that I trade on and off again.

Just thought we could discuss what our retirement planning looks like,

MODERATORS, thought it would be good to post in this forum as a lot of posters don't venture over to the retirement forum.

Great post.

This should be talked about in detail by all that participate in the 401k.