50 year old female promoted to full time on road pkg Sup.?

Cementups

Box Monkey
I had thought about doing the management thing but a few factors kept me from doing. 1) I'm not much of a "yes man" and that surely isn't a positive in their eyes. 2) I don't want stress in my life and that's all I see with those guys and 3) I've ruffled some feathers along the way and me going into management would be a fast track to unemployment.

oldupsman

I'll bet most of the fulltime union people who participate on this site have been offered management positions
sometime in their career. I'll also bet most us have had some education on the college level. I don't know how to say this without it
sounding a bit conceited though it's not meant to be. I never worked for a sup,center manager, DM, up to including a district manager that
was any smarter than me. They just decided to put up with the things management requires. Like moving 10 times in a 30 year career.
Or the daily stress that comes from above.

That's why I've never been angry about the money some of those guys ended up with. And quite a few ended up multi-millionaires.
Good for them. They've earned it. I had my shot. Decided that wasn't for me. No hard feelings.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I'll bet most of the fulltime union people who participate on this site have been offered management positions
sometime in their career. I'll also bet most us have had some education on the college level. I don't know how to say this without it
sounding a bit conceited though it's not meant to be. I never worked for a sup,center manager, DM, up to including a district manager that
was any smarter than me. They just decided to put up with the things management requires. Like moving 10 times in a 30 year career.
Or the daily stress that comes from above.

That's why I've never been angry about the money some of those guys ended up with. And quite a few ended up multimillionaires.
Good for them. They've earned it. I had my shot. Decided that wasn't for me. No hard feelings.

This is pretty much the way I looked at it too.
Advancement at UPS is more about good judgment than being intelligent or book-smart.
A good management person learns to make the "optimal" decision not the "right" decision.
It's about making a decision or taking an order and doggedly pursuing it to completion.
That means not letting any emerging "facts" deter you from your goal.

barnyard

KTM rider
It is not an intelligence test ... it is a compatibility and aptitude measurement tool.

I know what it is.

I failed 3 of 5 sections or 2 of 4. I don't remember. I do remember the one section I failed and the internal debate I had answering the questions. I told my center manager about it and he laughed and said, "You waaaaaaaaay over-thought it."

W

want to retire

This is pretty much the way I looked at it too.
Advancement at UPS is more about good judgment than being intelligent or book-smart.
A good management person learns to make the "optimal" decision not the "right" decision.
It's about making a decision or taking an order and doggedly pursuing it to completion.
That means not letting any emerging "facts" deter you from your goal.

My observation differs some. I don't know about other than operations, but most(not all) sups looked(look) frightened and could be fired at any second. And would do anything(literally) to make those numbers. Managers, not so much but watch your back and have seen some make horrifically poor decisions along the way with poor judgement. Most Div. mgrs are really type AAA and are wound way too tight. There are exceptions but not alot.

I have also thought that I would last about a day in mgt. before I spoke my mind about a policy or decision or some such and like has been said, and be fast tracked for termination. I am not shy nor complacement. Example: I was nearly hit by a falling package(50 lbs.) from 20ft. above on the belts. I conveyed my unhappiness to the div. mgr, ft sup, pt time sup....quite loudly and with passion.

In the end, staying hourly probably allowed me to complete 32 years.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
with all the 'enhancements' made to the management incentive pkg,, i wonder why ANYONE still puts there letter in............

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
In the end, going into management allowed me to complete almost 40 years.
I was going to get 40 years in before retiring but I decided 39 years 9 months and 26 days was close enough.

well played sir,, get it while you can

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I have also thought that I would last about a day in mgt. before I spoke my mind about a policy or decision or some such and like has been said, and be fast tracked for termination. I am not shy nor complacent. Example: I was nearly hit by a falling package(50 lbs.) from 20ft. above on the belts. I conveyed my unhappiness to the div. mgr, ft sup, pt time sup....quite loudly and with passion.

Sounds like you made the right decision ... and per my previous post, management is not a place for people who cannot control their emotions and use judgment.

W

want to retire

In the end, going into management allowed me to complete almost 40 years.
I was going to get 40 years in before retiring but I decided 39 years 9 months and 26 days was close enough.

I thought I would eventually get promoted(early on). Again, I always thought being in mgt. would be better in longevity, earnings etc. Now that I see how much it's going to cost for my daughters college........with my wife's job threatened by cutbacks at her public school......I could see working until 70(really) at UPS. Sad and scary.

W

want to retire

Sounds like you made the right decision ... and per my previous post, management is not a place for people who cannot control their emotions and use judgment.

Really? I've seen PLENTY of mgt. people who cannot "control their emotions and use judgement" Come on! If you were around operations for any length of time.......the yelling, cussing, abuse......this is BS.

W

want to retire

Yes, they were so composed they didn't give a crap about nearly killing someone! Just production. And saw and heard plenty of cussing and yelling. BS.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Really? I've seen PLENTY of mgt. people who cannot "control their emotions and use judgement" Come on! If you were around operations for any length of time.......the yelling, cussing, abuse......this is BS.

Yes, they were so composed they didn't give a crap about nearly killing someone! Just production. And saw and heard plenty of cussing and yelling. BS.

I was just messing with but your replies do give some insight.

I think the 'token' factor might weigh in here. You are a white hetero male, right?
No way it's looooooooooogggggggggggiiiiiiiiiiissssssssssttttttttttttiiiiiiiiiiiiiccccccccccsssssssssssss. Release yourself and become one with it.

We are a logistics company so in essence we are logistics.

Its not that hard if you just release it and become one.

beentheredonethat

She got promoted to fill a quota. Period.

It's sad that this could be the case. I know of many female mgmt people, mostly manager level, who do a great job and would be at the level they are regardless of being a woman or man, they earned their job. However, I also know of some female managers who are there due to filling a quota. I asked some of the better woman how they feel with UPS promoting certain females when they obviously haven't earned it. Most are as frustrated with it as are the men. When they see people promoted only because of gender then they feel they always have to prove they aren't part of the females who are promoted solely for being a woman.

I think the HR department at UPS does a horrible job with regard to minorities and females. I have no doubt that on average a woman is just as good as a man, and a minority is just as good as a caucasion. UPS was built on promote from within. Hiring people first at a PT hourly position who then go into PT supv or FT driving, and those groups go eventually to FT management. We should endeavor to hire in direct proportion to the local population (ie if the local population is 10% African American, we should have 10% African American PT hourlies, which will eventually mean 10% African American drivers and 10% African American PT Supvs and eventually 10% African American FT supvs. Similarly for women there should be 50% women in PT hourly jobs. How can you expect to be "fair" if you only have 10% women in PT hourly ranks but still try to get to 50% women in FT management.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

Quotas are a common and ubiquitous aspect of USA American Corporate culture.
I don't understand why UPS and other corporations don't admit it.
Just another reason not to believe any of the propaganda of the government and corporations.