50 year old female promoted to full time on road pkg Sup.?

feeder05

why after 32 years is she going into mngt? the more i talk to center manager's and on road they regret it. hours long and miss out on family time along with not knowing they have a job day in and day out.

W

want to retire

why after 32 years is she going into mngt? the more i talk to center manager's and on road they regret it. hours long and miss out on family time along with not knowing they have a job day in and day out.

No man, I have 32 years.....she has about 10.

Limper

Out For Delivery
Simply put.....the most talented and able UPSers are NOT management anymore. My last two sups were not able to
drive stick. Was does that tell you? Be happy, stay where you are, and make 20K more than your sup.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Simply put.....the most talented and able UPSers are NOT management anymore. My last two sups were not able to
drive stick. Was does that tell you? Be happy, stay where you are, and make 20K more than your sup.

Which brings up a good point ... the best supervisor candidate most likely is not the best driver regardless whether he/she can drive a stick-shift.

That was true 40 years ago, 30 years ago, 20 years ago, 10 years ago and now.

It is also true that the best supervisor does not necessarily make the best manager.

It is also very true that the best manager does not necessarily make the best Division/Staff manager. This promotion is very true and I have seen this happen many times.

Each higher level of management requires more ability in ensuring others are doing their job with less and less direct information and making decisions with less and less understanding and greater uncertainty.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
And you! I've heard this all of my career also........"they keep asking me"........

In the end, I have to accept that I didn't have whatever it takes........and what might have been. But, All those years of experience and qualifications will help when the time comes to leave.

Honestly, you DONT have what it takes. Your first failure is your lack of understanding what value this woman adds to the company. Qualified? She outranks you in being able to judge people. Not all persons go into management because they "want" the job. Some want to remain a contributing member of the UPS family and physically cant do the job anymore.

At 32 years, you are short timing, and that translates into short tempered. This is your greatest hinderance.

Why make this woman a concern in your life? Just do your job, and count the days until you can do something else with your time other than complaining. This woman probably extended her career with UPS by getting out of the pkg car.

Sure, it isnt the greatest job in the world, and by todays UPS standards, its a job where you dont have to think or make decisions. All they have to do is say yes and apply ridiculous plans to the business day. ( thanks HOAX )

Its some other "genious" in IE that sends down the business plan that will ultimately fail, and then this woman will have to follow instructions to "write up" the drivers for not executing it. Eventually, she on her own will see that the job wasnt worth it.

I say, get off her back and mind your own business.

Peace

TOS

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
This is pretty much the way I looked at it too.
Advancement at UPS is more about good judgment than being intelligent or book-smart.
A good management person learns to make the "optimal" decision not the "right" decision.
It's about making a decision or taking an order and doggedly pursuing it to completion.
That means not letting any emerging "facts" deter you from your goal.

Optimal decision?? Oh wait, your an IE person, so that makes sense. The right decision and the optimal decision at UPS are different planets. UPS IE thinkers have made every WRONG decision in a business.

This year, we drive MORE miles, work MORE hours, deliver MORE stops, make MORE money, have MORE accidents and have MORE injuries than anytime in UPS history, and yet you believe UPS management makes "OPTIMAL" decisions?

Thats a joke and shows just how removed you are from the "real" operation.

You are correct is saying that "they" make the WRONG decisions, but the only thing that separates "wrong" from "optimal" is the word DISASTROUS.

As someone who has spent 22 years on the front lines, let me assist you in determining the descriptive chain from which you can describe the decision making ability of UPS management.

1) Disastrous
2) Ridiculous
3) Stupendous
4) Moronic
5) Chitty
6) Crappy
7) Lame
8) Dumb
9) Stupid
10) Wierd
11) Ok
12) Better
13) Good
14) A little Better
15) Acceptable
16) Excellent
17) Optimal

There is a huge separation between disastrous and Optimal. If you polled every driver on this board, how many OPTIMALS do you think would be chosen for the daily decision making ability of UPS management?

Every decision that has come out of IE has COST this company MORE money. The PAS system is a failure, the EDD system is a failure and these two "plans" have extended the work day an average of 1 hour. They were suppose to "CUT" hours but has had the opposite effect.

Your along way from OPTIMAL, just wish you could actually see it.

Peace

TOS

Limper

Out For Delivery
Which brings up a good point ... the best supervisor candidate most likely is not the best driver regardless whether he/she can drive a stick-shift.

That was true 40 years ago, 30 years ago, 20 years ago, 10 years ago and now.

It is also true that the best supervisor does not necessarily make the best manager.

It is also very true that the best manager does not necessarily make the best Division/Staff manager. This promotion is very true exland I have seen this happen many times.

Each higher level of management requires more ability in ensuring others are doing their job with less and less direct information and making decisions with less and less understanding and greater uncertainty.

I can agree with your points, but you totally exclude the value of experience. The generals in the US Army were
once Second Lieutentants leading their platoons on patrols. In the trenches experience.

As less and less drivers go in to Management, the talent and experience diminishes. Weak-skilled sups are plucked
out and put in to Package. Reliance on reports the order of the day. Corporate talking points instead of real
solutions. Managers chasing numbers on a piece of paper, not listening to driver feedback on long-term solutions.
Is this Logistics?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Optimal decision?? Oh wait, 1) your an IE person, so that makes sense.

2) The right decision and the optimal decision at UPS are different planets.

3) UPS IE thinkers have made every WRONG decision in a business.

4) This year, we drive MORE miles, work MORE hours, deliver MORE stops, make MORE money, have MORE accidents and have MORE injuries than anytime in UPS history, and yet you believe UPS management makes "OPTIMAL" decisions?

5) If you polled every driver on this board, how many OPTIMALS do you think would be chosen for the daily decision making ability of UPS management?

6) Every decision that has come out of IE has COST this company MORE money. The PAS system is a failure, the EDD system is a failure and these two "plans" have extended the work day an average of 1 hour. They were suppose to "CUT" hours but has had the opposite effect.

7) Your along way from OPTIMAL, just wish you could actually see it.

Peace

TOS
I've never known you to get things right in over three years of reading your posts ... I still think you make shizz up as you go along.
Furthermore, you didn't even understand the context in which the question was asked and to which I answered ... par for teh course. You are so wrapped up in what you want to say, you rarely see beyond your immediate world and beliefs.

1) I am not in IE - I was in IE over 20 years ago for the normal operational rotation.
2) I said that in my post you responded to.
3) IE, in my experience and observation, makes very few operations decisions. They analyze and recommend infrastructure solutions ... especially in the Operations technology and they execute the field implementation of those technologies.

4) This year,
we drive MORE miles - as a group, that is incorrect. Total driver miles are lower - as individuals, the average may be higher.
work MORE hours, deliver MORE stops - similarly, as a group, that is incorrect. Total driver hours are lower - as individuals, the average may be higher.
make MORE money, have MORE accidents and have MORE injuries - that one I do not know but then neither do you (that much I do know).

5) What Union employees (or management employees for that matter) think or feel is irrelevant if it is not a violation of the contract. I know you don't understand that and it goes against your genuine belief that everything you think and have an opinion about is important ... trust me, it is not.

6) Industry analyst and Harvard Review and Wharton Business disagrees with you. But like I said, I'm not in IE so this "Stick and Stone" would be ineffective even if it were true.

7) I think you meant "You're a long way from OPTIMAL, just wish you could actually see it." which, even if you did, is a bit nonsensical.
I am glad you don't understand how businesses are run and what "optimal decisions" means as if you did, you would probably be more effective as a Union rep.

You should really stick to left wing politics where everything is about opinions and not about facts.
Every time you try and "opinonate" about real world stuff, you look like a fool.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I can agree with your points, but you totally exclude the value of experience. The generals in the US Army were
once Second Lieutentants leading their platoons on patrols. In the trenches experience.

I certainly agree with this at the District level and my not including it was by omission.
It is a problem and one lamented by Upper Management.

rod

Retired 22 years
In the end, going into management allowed me to complete almost 40 years.
I was going to get 40 years in before retiring but I decided 39 years 9 months and 26 days was close enough.

So you are done with the Ivory Tower now? I must have been on one of my trips and didn't see this mentioned. Congradulations. Welcome to the "you no longer work at UPS so you don't belong on the Brown Cafe" club. Our only requirement is---well you know.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I've never known you to get things right in over three years of reading your posts ... I still think you make shizz up as you go along.
Furthermore, you didn't even understand the context in which the question was asked and to which I answered ... par for teh course. You are so wrapped up in what you want to say, you rarely see beyond your immediate world and beliefs.

1) I am not in IE - I was in IE over 20 years ago for the normal operational rotation.
2) I said that in my post you responded to.
3) IE, in my experience and observation, makes very few operations decisions. They analyze and recommend infrastructure solutions ... especially in the Operations technology and they execute the field implementation of those technologies.

4) This year,
we drive MORE miles - as a group, that is incorrect. Total driver miles are lower - as individuals, the average may be higher.
work MORE hours, deliver MORE stops - similarly, as a group, that is incorrect. Total driver hours are lower - as individuals, the average may be higher.
make MORE money, have MORE accidents and have MORE injuries - that one I do not know but then neither do you (that much I do know).

5) What Union employees (or management employees for that matter) think or feel is irrelevant if it is not a violation of the contract. I know you don't understand that and it goes against your genuine belief that everything you think and have an opinion about is important ... trust me, it is not.

6) Industry analyst and Harvard Review and Wharton Business disagrees with you. But like I said, I'm not in IE so this "Stick and Stone" would be ineffective even if it were true.

7) I think you meant "You're a long way from OPTIMAL, just wish you could actually see it." which, even if you did, is a bit nonsensical.
I am glad you don't understand how businesses are run and what "optimal decisions" means as if you did, you would probably be more effective as a Union rep.

You should really stick to left wing politics where everything is about opinions and not about facts.
Every time you try and "opinonate" about real world stuff, you look like a fool.

Like i said, you are so far removed from the operations you dont have the first clue what YOURE talking about. In our district, WLA, hours are UP over last year, despite cutting cars, which is the number UPS wants to use a a gauge of effectiveness.

Lets see if you can understand a simple process, cut cars, EXTEND WORK DAYS. Extend workdays, then change to time and one half hours.

This does not add up to fewer hours or fewer dollars spent. Currently, depending on the loop, it can cost about $177 dollars an hour to complete ONE PACKAGE CARS day, when you add in the 2 additional drivers that have to be sent to split up the work. Then multiply that by 3 hours each day for 5 days and you have a CHITTLOAD of money wasted in non productive excessive overtime.

Now, Im not talking about midwest nowheresville of course and if you are going to compare a metropolis to that, then your way off base.

Your name calling is useless as Ive gauged your experience with UPS to the point where most of what you say is irrelevant to any current discussion of the business.

Peace

TOS

W

want to retire

Honestly, you DONT have what it takes. Your first failure is your lack of understanding what value this woman adds to the company. Qualified? She outranks you in being able to judge people. Not all persons go into management because they "want" the job. Some want to remain a contributing member of the UPS family and physically cant do the job anymore.

At 32 years, you are short timing, and that translates into short tempered. This is your greatest hinderance.

Why make this woman a concern in your life? Just do your job, and count the days until you can do something else with your time other than complaining. This woman probably extended her career with UPS by getting out of the pkg car.

Sure, it isnt the greatest job in the world, and by todays UPS standards, its a job where you dont have to think or make decisions. All they have to do is say yes and apply ridiculous plans to the business day. ( thanks HOAX )

Its some other "genious" in IE that sends down the business plan that will ultimately fail, and then this woman will have to follow instructions to "write up" the drivers for not executing it. Eventually, she on her own will see that the job wasnt worth it.

I say, get off her back and mind your own business.

Peace

TOS

Well, I would start out saying your an arrogant a-hole.....but that's a given....so..........

Oh, I'm way more than qualified.....way, way more. And it's incredidible how(with a tiny amount of general info) you have judged this woman to the best choice for the job.....from whatever metropolis you are from.

And, so if I have say 10 more years experience than you....that makes me short tempered? Really? BTW-how do you know how long I'm staying? You're guessing.

How is she able to "judge" people?

Would UPS really want to promote a person(m/friend) because they "can't do the job anymore"

It is my business because I work there/UPS. Her decisions/judgement/not being able to do the job anymore(your's words) will directly impact my career.