9.5 language got worst for cover drivers!!!!!

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
More like a few dozens beers at a golf game. But you need to keep reading. If what you describe happens, the new language gives the union a fighting chance AWAY from panels and puts cit in an arbitrators lap. Awards, including progression advancement and back pay, can then go to prospective employees not offered driving opportunities. Never before has the union had an avenue to attack understaffing. This is huge.

Your explanation shows just HOW uninformed you are with respect to the grievance process. Southern comfort is exactly right. If you get violated, you file a grievance, you go to a local panel, it gets deadlocked. Panels are quarterly, so theres three months wasted, then you are rescheduled to the next panel three months later, it deadlocks there, then you get sent to the 9.5 committee and the laugh about it 6 months later. By then , who cares? Its SIX MONTHS LATER. Then, for kicks, the labor managers and the 9.5 committee meet with the center manager and he says, "OK, i wont do it again"... then, no need for arbitration, case settled. Then, and its a big "then", you want penalty pay, you go for it and push for arbitration. The language says "the arbitrator "MAY" award backpay. It doesnt offer a GUARANTEE of backpay just an out for the ARB.

He may tell you to go back to work and STFU.

This arbitration would be held approximately 1 year after the violation. By then, its old news.

This process is BULL CRAP from the jump. Its a complete waste of time for the employee, company and union. Why not have the language cut to the chase and keep it out of panels (or commonly called DEADLOCK COMMITTEES) and have the 9.5 committee and the labor manager meet on all cases IMMEDIATELY and remedy the problems?

Ill tell you why, the TEAMSTERS caved into the companys demands for delays. In 7 months, you WONT care about it anymore and are more likely to let it go.

This process BENEFITS the company, not the employees.

INTHEGAME, you better do a little more research before you come onto this board and defend horrible language as if was gospel.

Peace

TOS

SouthernComfort

We have those. In our supplement your time driving will come off your progression. As for 9.5, you have to meet the language qualification.
So even though I technically work more hours, deliver more packages, have less vacation, have no 8 hour day requests, am forced to work the day after Thanksgiving annually, and collecting less points towards my pension... after 8 years of driving..... I have zero 9.5 rights. My body is already beat...the human body was not made to endure this type of labor for these strenuous amounts of hours. NO NO NO driver that has been driving since pre-2006 has been dispatched with stop counts of 200 non-peak... 209 stops today... its 7:50 and I just STARTED my lunch break!!!!!

stink219

Shame on you for taking your lunch at 7:50. Why not 1:30? You get 8 hour requests, most of us work the day after thanksgiving. Your a part time driver? I still don't understand your position? Are you a part timer or full timer?

SouthernComfort

Shame on you for taking your lunch at 7:50. Why not 1:30? You get 8 hour requests, most of us work the day after thanksgiving. Your a part time driver? I still don't understand your position? Are you a part timer or full timer?
I am part time Stink. 20% of our drivers here are part time "cover drivers". I started driving after 4 yrs of being hired because no one else wanted to do it, and the ones that did got disqualified because they were idiots. Since then I have been stuck in a stagnant holding pattern. We get over looked in contract decisions..... we are the waterboys, but without the NFL pay and benefits, at least as PT I had better insurance than full timers, but that looks like its going down the drain too.
I take my lunch late because I dont like working in the dark(I eat throughout the day) and I dont want to get SHOT for knocking on someones door in the MIDDLE of their dinner with their family.

SouthernComfort

We do not get 8hr requests... we can "defer" work that day to a less senior driver and take the day off without pay RLO:request lay off. 2 things blow on this deal #1 I take a $200 pay cut that week if I defer work and take the day off, and #2 if there are no available drivers with less seniority you are forced to work. I dont need the whole day off to catch my nephews baseball game @ 7pm, but it would be nice to be off @ 6 to be able to make it across town. Ive never seen my supervisors/managers miss one of their kid's recitals or football game, and hell, one of my on-road's son is a heck of a ball player, he will go Division 1 NCAA next year and plays where I went to high school.... Id love to see a 7:00 high school football game.

Omega man

So even though I technically work more hours, deliver more packages, have less vacation, have no 8 hour day requests, am forced to work the day after Thanksgiving annually, and collecting less points towards my pension... after 8 years of driving..... I have zero 9.5 rights. My body is already beat...the human body was not made to endure this type of labor for these strenuous amounts of hours. NO NO NO driver that has been driving since pre-2006 has been dispatched with stop counts of 200 non-peak... 209 stops today... its 7:50 and I just STARTED my lunch break!!!!!

You are most likely violating the lunch provisions in your supplement and are doing more work than UPS could normally put on you if you simply followed your contract. You think that you are accommodating yourself by taking a late lunch but you are also accommodating UPS. Taking a midday lunch is one of your protections from over-dispatch.
Sorry, but you are bringing on your own misery. I hope one day you wake up.

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
4 years full time package seniority...Stink, I am a PART TIME cover driver, we have those in the Southern Region. Even though I have been driving for 8 years, its 8 years part time. The 18-20 days a year I dont drive(low volume/no vacations) I return to my part time building job, I get no 8 hour guarantee on those days.

I am pretty sure he told you specifically and said it more than once in general.

He said he's grieved an 8 hour request violation and lost as he is PT and was told PTmers get zero 8 hour request.

Pleaser pay attention if you are going to participate.

Inthegame

I dont need the whole day off to catch my nephews baseball game @ 7pm, but it would be nice to be off @ 6 to be able to make it across town. Ive never seen my supervisors/managers miss one of their kid's recitals or football game, and hell, one of my on-road's son is a heck of a ball player, he will go Division 1 NCAA next year and plays where I went to high school.... Id love to see a 7:00 high school football game.
I missed a boatload of my kids games, then I went into Feeders and missed a boatload of sleep. I chose the job knowing the game. Plenty of my onroads missed games too.

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
Maybe you can be less of a dik.

Not to ignorant ranting lunatics who like to stir the pot. Tell them how great this contract is some more and tell them how much you like how Hoffa's butt looks so great with UPS corporates hand in its back pocket. Aren't they cute together? So snuggly.

stink219

Maybe you can be less of a dik.

Not to ignorant ranting lunatics who like to stir the pot. Tell them how great this contract is some more and tell them how much you like how Hoffa's butt looks so great with UPS corporates hand in its back pocket. Aren't they cute together? So snuggly.
Stir the pot? How do I stir the pot? I post what I dig about the contract. If your too much of a little girl that is scared to enforce your contract, I can't help you. Nobody can. As for Hoffa, for the 7589 time, I'm not a fan. I'm for Hall/O'Brien!! Let me guess about you, TDU Garbage Pale Kid? Nailed it!!!!!!!!

SouthernComfort

I have over 50 paycheck stubs from 2005-2007 where I didnt work a week over 43hrs. We used to have a strict 9.5 policy.. NO 9.5s, if you were on property at 9hrs20mins you were instructed to punch out and a "truck parker" would come get your truck and park it for you. No gas, no car wash, skip air recovery and get off the clock! So by saying you chose the job knowing the game is on you... when I chose this job, they wanted me in bed by 11pm so I could be a fresh, spunky, healthy driver the next morning.

Buck Fifty

More like a few dozens beers at a golf game. But you need to keep reading. If what you describe happens, the new language gives the union a fighting chance AWAY from panels and puts it in an arbitrators lap. Awards, including progression advancement and back pay, can then go to prospective employees not offered driving opportunities. Never before has the union had an avenue to attack understaffing. This is huge.

Not so huge, when the company can and will play the 10 % bench card. 3rd quarter route averages are intentionally kept low for this very reason. Can you say Road Block.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
The last time I put in for an 8hr request it was "approved"... I showed up to a 10hr dispatch and was not sent any relief, grievance filed and lost at local panel, no 8hr requests for cover drivers...at all... ever. It was for my Mom's 50th birthday dinner on a Tuesday night... I missed the dinner, "if UPS cared about your family they would have assigned you on with your brown uniform"
Guess you learned how to call out next time. Some make think it's overkill to do that for an important event, miss one because of what happened to this guy and you'll think otherwise.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Inthegame, I do not have 4 years of full time pkg seniority... just 8 years of part time pkg seniority...#1 and #2 are out of the question... In 8 years Ive maybe been on the same route a whole week straight 4 or 5 times, this includes peak season. I have ZERO years as a full time package driver. If someone was full time 22.3 for a decade, then went to package he would have 0 years as a full time package driver also...

How the hell do you drive for 8 years and not gain seniority?

Inthegame

Your explanation shows just HOW uninformed you are with respect to the grievance process. Southern comfort is exactly right. If you get violated, you file a grievance, you go to a local panel, it gets deadlocked. Panels are quarterly, so theres three months wasted, then you are rescheduled to the next panel three months later, it deadlocks there, then you get sent to the 9.5 committee and the laugh about it 6 months later. By then , who cares? Its SIX MONTHS LATER. Then, for kicks, the labor managers and the 9.5 committee meet with the center manager and he says, "OK, i wont do it again"... then, no need for arbitration, case settled. Then, and its a big "then", you want penalty pay, you go for it and push for arbitration. The language says "the arbitrator "MAY" award backpay. It doesnt offer a GUARANTEE of backpay just an out for the ARB.

He may tell you to go back to work and STFU.

This arbitration would be held approximately 1 year after the violation. By then, its old news.

This process is BULL CRAP from the jump. Its a complete waste of time for the employee, company and union. Why not have the language cut to the chase and keep it out of panels (or commonly called DEADLOCK COMMITTEES) and have the 9.5 committee and the labor manager meet on all cases IMMEDIATELY and remedy the problems?

Ill tell you why, the TEAMSTERS caved into the companys demands for delays. In 7 months, you WONT care about it anymore and are more likely to let it go.

This process BENEFITS the company, not the employees.

INTHEGAME, you better do a little more research before you come onto this board and defend horrible language as if was gospel.

Peace

TOS
More non stop insults for a difference of factual opinion. We move a little faster in the Central and usually stop the violation ASAP. Arbitrators give decent decisions if a case is well prepared and presented. Our local wins at a better rate with arbitrators than at panels. I'd support your plan but apparently the negotiators didn't feel the same. It's still stronger language than before even if you can't see it.

Thanks for the tip on how to post but I've been writing, filing, and prosecuting winning grievances longer than you've been a Teamster. By the way, I heard even TDU Marty supported the TA.

Omega man

I have over 50 paycheck stubs from 2005-2007 where I didnt work a week over 43hrs. We used to have a strict 9.5 policy.. NO 9.5s, if you were on property at 9hrs20mins you were instructed to punch out and a "truck parker" would come get your truck and park it for you. No gas, no car wash, skip air recovery and get off the clock! So by saying you chose the job knowing the game is on you... when I chose this job, they wanted me in bed by 11pm so I could be a fresh, spunky, healthy driver the next morning.

Allowing someone else to "park" your truck without you doing a proper post-trip on it is a violation of D.O.T.
You are required by law to post-trip any commercial vehicle you drive and sign off on its condition. You are subject to fines if you don't and an unsafe condition causes the vehicle to be involved in a serious accident.
If you simply follow the Law and your Contract your life will be much easier at UPS. They both exist to protect you. Get with your Steward if you are unsure as to what you need to be doing.

SouthernComfort

Why can't you post trip, hand the keys to the next guy and he can perform his pretrip?
This was years ago when we had extremely firm NO drivers out over 9.5 rules. I keep a log of daily stops, miles, packages on car, packages picked up, and on calls.
This weeks average was 108 miles, 341 pieces, 163 stops, 112 picked up pieces(10 pickups), and 9 on calls this week, this week average was a 10 hour and 17 minute day. Notice the word "was"....yes its Friday, and I just called in for today,"not gonna make it". 41 hours in 4 days!!! Go back and look at the same #'s from 5 years ago..... never would of seen routes with numbers like this. Fair days work for a fair days pay, nothing fair about being at work for almost 12 hours a day and not given the option to opt out of excessive OT is not fair.

Leadfarmer153

Surepost and 11-12 hour days.....is the reason why at my center we have part timers that have been waiting 6-7 years to go fulltime. The stops and volume are there, its just we give it away and run the drivers like dogs.

I bet the average wait to go fulltime went from 4 years to 6.