A new cold war?

bbsam

Staff member
The new Russia is learning that being an economic power may be threatened by military adventurism. A lesson in unintended consequences.

island1fox

Time will tell how all that works out---Pick an economic fight and make it painful enough ---sounds a lot like a plot out of Pearl Harbor !

island1fox

bbsam,

I think you are miss reading something.

Russia at this present time is not backing down to the West.

We shall see how long Europe goes along with "Russian Financial Sanctions" --as they also will feel the pain --through energy.

My point about Pearl Harbor ---I am not in Putin's mind nor can I look into his eyes and see he is a good man ---but in only MY opinion --Putin looks like a man capable of ANYTHING. Back a Rat into a Corner --the Rat will attack.

If he has "Hitler" designs on Eastern Europe and beyond as Hillary vocalized--A War weary and economic stressed United States does not scare him --and certainly he is not scared of France or Germany.

If Economic sanctions were "choking" Russia ---foolish for people to believe --Putin will "just fold" --rather than quickly launching a Military Blitzkreig the free world -at this point does not have the stomach to address and would not know how to handle.

China is surely watching --If I were in Taiwan or the Japanese Islands --I would be prepared for ANYTHING.

A major two front war for the U.S. today ---I do not think so --and Russia and China know it. We do not hold all the aces !!

Throw in a few Radical Islamic nut cases and an angry South America and Cuba --Wow !!

We can go back to Probability --yes --but also go back to ANYTHING is possible.

History -in this case --has yet to be written !!

Lest we not forget --to all experts on Military spending --I agree money can be spent much more wisely --610 + Military bases around the world -ridiculous --BUT- Obama has not changed the world.
He has not "reset" Russian Relations --the world does not bow down and love us --there is real evil that exists --No probability about that---Cut new technology and modern defense spending such as cyber defense --at our own PERIL !!

Last edited:

bbsam

Staff member
island

Do you realize who profited the most from the US incursion in Iraq? Chinese oil companies. Europe obviously doesn't mind doing capitalism with communist governments so imagine the possibility that negotiations have begun to find other oil supplies. Iraq needs the business. Russia has some serious choices to make. Obama may not have reset relations with Russia, but that doesn't mean the world hasn't changed and Russia needs to find it's new role in it.

island1fox

bbsam,

We can go round and round --I am not attacking Obama --just plainly speaking --Europe depends on doing business with Russia --the U.S. is war weary ---Putin at this moment will do what is in the bests interests of Russia ---Does not fear the U.S. nor Europe --If anyone believes China is not re-thinking Taiwan --well what can I say !!

People like Hitler and possibly Putin ---do not look at where their Countries fit in ---but rather how they will make the world fit in !

wkmac

Heard today that Putin is threatening to dump the dollar as reserve currency which could have interesting reverberations across the economic world.

Let the New Great Game continue.

island1fox

Wkmac,

I have not researched it recently -but just a few years back Russia,China and OPEC were reported to have had many meetings on that very subject.

Some people have claimed if the Dollar was replaced -- we could see a drop of about 50 percent of its value -- one of the reasons people have been buying gold and silver

bbsam

Staff member
bbsam,

We can go round and round --I am not attacking Obama --just plainly speaking --Europe depends on doing business with Russia --the U.S. is war weary ---Putin at this moment will do what is in the bests interests of Russia ---Does not fear the U.S. nor Europe --If anyone believes China is not re-thinking Taiwan --well what can I say !!

People like Hitler and possibly Putin ---do not look at where their Countries fit in ---but rather how they will make the world fit in !
You say people like Hitler and Putin but has the United States acted differently? We do what we do based on our own perceived self interest at any given point in time. Russia is no different. Russia has had military incursions that the US has disagreed with and condemned since the 1950's. Our influence with them has never been great. Personally, I just find it ironic that Russia's biggest pressures to rethink it's actions are the damage its doing to it's image in the world -- the very thing it was attempting to bolster in the first place.

moreluck

golden ticket member
wj6y35.jpg

island1fox

You say people like Hitler and Putin but has the United States acted differently? We do what we do based on our own perceived self interest at any given point in time. Russia is no different. Russia has had military incursions that the US has disagreed with and condemned since the 1950's. Our influence with them has never been great. Personally, I just find it ironic that Russia's biggest pressures to rethink it's actions are the damage its doing to it's image in the world -- the very thing it was attempting to bolster in the first place.

bbsam,

Soviet Union vs the U.S. ????

Our Interests -Yes . Big Difference --If the U.S was like Russia --Today there would be No Germany -No France etc etc.
We would own all of the Middle east as U.S. possessions --and are National debt would be at ZERO.

wkmac

bbsam,

Our Interests -Yes . Big Difference --If the U.S was like Russia --Today there would be No Germany -No France etc etc.
We would own all of the Middle east as U.S. possessions --and are National debt would be at ZERO.

Using purely linear thinking, that is correct.

bbsam

Staff member
bbsam,

wrong. That's not linear thinking. That's fantasy.

island1fox

bbsam

?? Oh that's right we own all the Oil fields in the Middle East --there is no OPEC --and the price of gas is 25 cents a Gallon--is that your reality ??