A way to beat the 9.5 problem

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
You will always have some group complain, no matter what you do.

We have a driver that is paying three different women child support for his kids. If he did not work close to 50 hours a week or more, he would not have any money for himself.

On the other hand, there are a lot of drivers that would love it if their hours would be cut some.

Or even better, start earlier. Not getting to even start till after 9 on most days means that your 8.5-10 hour days is cutting off prime time with family.

Starting at 7-7:30 would make the situation much more bearable.

JMO

d

paidover95

I dont know about where some of you work in the country,but here in new england.You cant just work 2 min in 1 day and get 8 hours health/welfare,pension credits.You have work,sick/optional,or vacation pay to qualify for the 8 hour credit.If you dont do that then ups does not contribute.So you could eventualy end up short on pension hours or have no health care in you doont have the correct hours.So my point was they if they paid these payments on top of the overtime It would end up being a number I dont think ups wants to pay its employees.thus making them cut the overtime.just think how much more money would be in the funds if they paid an extra 7/8 hours a week into them.we might still have 25 and out/30 years at any age.

Dustyroads

Trust me, in the Central States, one only needs to work one hour during the week to have a full contribution made to the health and welfare funds. I've taken a day or two off each week for the last three years.

Just_another_day_at_work

When I filed it I was ready for rides, I also asked them if they have a few days for me, but nothing yet. BUT they DID reduce my hours, average about 9 hours per day. Can't complain. If they want me to work over 9.5 that's fine, but the triple time will come too. :D

M

Mike23

It's not the teamsters, UPS OR the government that drags out the hearings (in this newbs humble opinion), it's ALL the politics involved in it.

UPS wants to drag it out hoping the teamsters will get frustrated and go away.

Teamsters want to drag it out so they can get all their sheep in a row to pile it on UPS.

The government (although I don't know how they drag their feet or how they even come into this) drags it out because the more it's dragged out the more money they get from UPS having to pay the employees over the grievances.

I could be wrong of course, but that's just my guess.

I'd say, to fix the grievance problem is to be able to go past the union and file in small claims court. If you win, have the court garnish the wages of UPS management if they won't pay (heh, dreaming, I know). If you win, then any legality you sought for the trial (lawyer) is paid for by the union. Suddenly things might get fixed a heck of a lot sooner?

If both teamsters AND UPS lose money, you're looking at two organizations that would like to solve the problem ASAP so that their own bottoms don't get to red from the loss of money.

So, lets say, if it's not solved in a month, the driver has the option to use this path?

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
If you win, then any legality you sought for the trial (lawyer) is paid for by the union. Suddenly things might get fixed a heck of a lot sooner?
UPS would love that. After lengthy legal delays, they would let us win. OK, we will pay you the 127.32 we owe you, and the teamsters get left holding the bag on 12 grand in legal fees.

Government involvement??????? I thought you said you wanted to actually fix the problem? Tell me one thing that our Gooberment has fixed in the last 40 years? They cant even fix the interstates as they break down. Or bridges. Or budgets, or the economy.

UPS will fix the issue when they are either forced to do so, or someone from the top remembers that integrity does not stop at the cover of the contract.

d

klein

Für Meno :)
UPS would love that. After lengthy legal delays, they would let us win. OK, we will pay you the 127.32 we owe you, and the teamsters get left holding the bag on 12 grand in legal fees.

Government involvement??????? I thought you said you wanted to actually fix the problem? Tell me one thing that our Gooberment has fixed in the last 40 years? They cant even fix the interstates as they break down. Or bridges. Or budgets, or the economy.

UPS will fix the issue when they are either forced to do so, or someone from the top remembers that integrity does not stop at the cover of the contract.

d

Well, to collect your teamsters pension at UPS, we would have to put in 70 yrs of service. Start at age 18, end at age 88 to get $3500 canadian dollars... so add another 5 years,, drive until 95.

We get a darn bad deal. It's a joke.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
The teamsters thank you. With your public healthcare system, their costs are lower as well, so the Canadian UPSers will actually make the teamsters retirement programs money.

Retirement "adjustments" are coming here too. Just wait and see.

d

klein

The teamsters thank you. With your public healthcare system, their costs are lower as well, so the Canadian UPSers will actually make the teamsters retirement programs money.

Retirement "adjustments" are coming here too. Just wait and see.

d

Problem is, we don't have that loyalty to UPS as you US counterparts do.
They offer a lousy pension, not the best pay, unless you make it for 30months. We don't get tripple time here, no matter what (it doesn't exist) only time and a half. Ane we don't get home until 8pm or later each day. Sometimes I got lucky, got home by 7 or 7:30pm.
And even at top rate, we have other easier driving jobs that pay more.
I don't know anyone at our center with more then 15yrs seniority, that includes sups, and center manager. Turnover is huge.
I think I was number 6 or 7 to leave or let go, in the first 6 months of this year. Now they are advertising for 3 more drivers for hire, 2 preloaders, and a mechanic.
With winter and the darkness and the cold, plus xmas just around the corner, I wonder how many will stick around for $14.00 US/hr with no holidays, no medicine or dental coverage.
But, again it's a number game (they lowerd costs, by getting rid of higher paid drivers, and hiring back at lowest rate, with no bennies.)
Makes the books look good.
And Teamsters is happy too, another $500 per each initial fee. And don't need to pay pension until after 2 years, and then just a lousy $50.00 cdn, if they complete year #2.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Here you are not vested until year 10.

I remember delivering to a retired teamster that was a real diehard union guy. Worked for Mason Dixon, a very large carrier that went broke, for several reasons.

After taxes and insurance, he was drawing 128 and change a month. For just over 30 years.

No wonder he has to work at walmart as a greeter.

d

klein

I remember delivering to a retired teamster that was a real diehard union guy. Worked for Mason Dixon, a very large carrier that went broke, for several reasons.

After taxes and insurance, he was drawing 128 and change a month. For just over 30 years.

d

nevertheless, we are thankful for every dollar we get extra out of a union pension. I agree to that.
I listed our Canada Pension Plan. It's only $1400.00 after 40 yrs.
We do have people "starving" on that alone.
But, it's thier own fault, they could have set a few dollars away into a 401K every week or month.
We get told to do so. We can't reley on Goverment to take full care of us into retirement. That will never happen.
It's very generous as it is (max payment $1000 per year) x 40 years =$40K. Now divide that by $1400 = 28.5 months. Less then 2 and a half years, you got all you money back, and it still keeps comming.

Just out of curiosity, you do get SSI on top of that, too right ?

Paid-over-in-Maine

15 more years of this!
Had to spend at least 20-25 minutes on my own time, to re-arrange my sort.
So, does everybody else.
While re-arranging your load, I hope you don't twist an ankle!

NOT on the clock
NOT a workplace injury
NOT a DART Injury (UPS will love you for that!)

Good luck my friend!! DON'T WORK OFF THE CLOCK

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS

d
This must be a difference in regions again. I am vested at 5 years.

klein

While re-arranging your load, I hope you don't twist an ankle!

NOT on the clock
NOT a workplace injury
NOT a DART Injury (UPS will love you for that!)

Good luck my friend!! DON'T WORK OFF THE CLOCK

You guys must have it easy. We are suckers or something, but we need to work off the clock, to get our run in the order we need it to be.
Our PCM starts right at "normal clock" starting time. After pcm, your instructed to start your run. No time allowance whatsoever. Not for pre-trip, not for checking your load. They want you out the door ! Period.

Paid-over-in-Maine

15 more years of this!
You guys must have it easy. We are suckers or something, but we need to work off the clock, to get our run in the order we need it to be.
Our PCM starts right at "normal clock" starting time. After pcm, your instructed to start your run. No time allowance whatsoever. Not for pre-trip, not for checking your load. They want you out the door ! Period.
In that case you leave the building and sort your load at the earliest convenience. I won't risk an injury off the clock while doing work I can get paid for doing. Write up your preloader for a bad load. do whatever you need to to get it across to your Sup. and get the problem fixed. They hold you accountable for the work you do, why not your loader? Thats always my argument.JMHO

klein

In that case you leave the building and sort your load at the earliest convenience. I won't risk an injury off the clock while doing work I can get paid for doing. Write up your preloader for a bad load. do whatever you need to to get it across to your Sup. and get the problem fixed. They hold you accountable for the work you do, why not your loader? Thats always my argument.JMHO

It might work in the states, our preloaders come and go... who wants to start at 3 am and work 4 hrs ?
Remember, health bennies are not an issue here.
And loaders get **** pay.

But, I did find that diad menu... was load ok ? > no ! and did that at end of day... Sup just told me to keep doing it... but nothing really changed.
And then you get a loader that is halfway decent, eventhough load is by no means perfect.... but , wanna keep him myself... so I just enter > yes.

Honestly, I was one of the last ones comming in for my shift, and I started half an hr before my shift. Figured thats enough... all others were more 45min or an hr.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Klein

You think your load stinks in Canada, try visiting the states and see what it looks like here.

There are those loaders that will pretty much have it loaded stop for stop, perfect every day. I was lucky to have one like that for quite a while, maybe one misload every 6 months or so. But everything else in perfect order. And that was way before pas or ed got their hands on it.

But then there were other areas that were not so good. What you do is go to the PCM like everybody else, then do your pretrip, load what ever packages are left behind your truck and hit the road.

Then you can do it one of two ways. You can either run straight air if you are covered up, and then sort your car, or quickly sort your car first.

When ever I had to take 10 to get a look, I would pull into a gas station and quickly take a look at what I had. Never ever get on the car before start time. Ever.

You are not so special that there are things that only happen to you, and one of the first issues when doing something wrong is admitting it. Something you have problems doing.

So repeat after me. Working off the clock is wrong, no matter what.
Working off the clock is wrong, no matter what. Working off the clock is wrong, no matter what. Working off the clock is wrong, no matter what. Working off the clock is wrong, no matter what.

Wait, that is all wasted on you. I will not drink alcohol on the clock. I will not drink alcohol on the clock......:wink2:

d

klein

Well, Danny, thats what started Mikes bad day yesterday.. to work only on the clock. Just not enough time to get prepared.
He will tell you that.
Even his sup (he mentioned), gave him a bad look for comming in at the last minute.

I'm just trying to help MIke out.. and wondering if he has gotten in trouble today.. but if I had to bet... he sure did.

Anyways, if I didn't do that one mistake, I would still be working there, figured , another 5-7 years (depending on my 401K investments)... that would have done it for me.
Thought it was my last job in my life, but wrong.

OH well, everyone has a bad turn in life, or a few. This was one of mine.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Just not enough time to get prepared. He will tell you that.
Anybody can tell you anything.

You punch on the clock at 8:45, and that is when you start your workday. Not before. You do your pretrip while on company property before you hit left building. It is built into your planned day.

After 33 years, I will tell you that there is ample time for a proper pretrip. The management team at times dont think so, but I an living proof that there is enough time.

Do it right, do it every day. No exceptions period.

d

klein

Anybody can tell you anything.

You punch on the clock at 8:45, and that is when you start your workday. Not before. You do your pretrip while on company property before you hit left building. It is built into your planned day.

After 33 years, I will tell you that there is ample time for a proper pretrip. The management team at times dont think so, but I an living proof that there is enough time.

Do it right, do it every day. No exceptions period.

d

I actually noticed that, either trucks pulling off at a gas station, some did pre recording. Others stopped and had coffee... it seems, the clock really starts ticking once you completed your first stop.
I should have caught on to that.