Advice For A New Courier

luke

I started a new pick up route ranging from 50-60 stops regularly. Advice? I've never done any work like this before.

!Retired!

I started a new pick up route ranging from 50-60 stops regularly. Advice? I've never done any work like this before.
What sort of advice are you asking for if you've already started the route? Did you get enough training? Have you been able to do 50-60?

hypo hanna

Learn to CYA and never ever stick your neck out trying to be the hero. If it goes well you can expect zero thanks. If it goes bad, you can expect to be written up for it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

50-60 pickups in a 5 hour window is tight----any delays along the way could cause you to be late bringing your freight back for processing. Run the route as is for a week or so and then see if there are any ways that you can "fine tune" it to make it more efficient. If any stops are not quite ready or want you to come back you should tell them that you will make every effort to do so but that you can't promise anything.

dezguy

Just take your time and be safe. Move at a pace you're comfortable with. If you're getting to pups late, just means you have too much work and your manager needs to adjust your route.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Just be safe. Just tell dispatch your not gonna be able to make these xxxxx pickups on time and do it whenever you need to. After a awhile dispatch will have to have a talk with your manager about your workload. Your manager is more likely to listen to them. Managers for the most part are programmed by Memphis not to listen to couriers.

luke

Yeah, this route does blow shaft. However, if I train customers to pull CI's my life would be so much easier. A boat load of obligation that they trust a rookie with. I'll be messaging dispatch often...Lol.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Slick silver

Good luck with that one I do a route thats pretty much all international stops, a lot of CI to pull. It took almost a year to get the people to to use the right international pouch, just to make it easier to pull and put paper work back.

Sent using BrownCafe App

SmithBarney

Just train them to use the computer for Powership or internet labels...
tell them it saves them time and money.
I had a heavy pup route once, when I started it, about 1/2 were still using airbills.
when I was done, only 2 wouldn't use the computer, mostly because they didn't have reliable
connections at their "home offices"

Also another tip if you have dropboxes(you may know this already) you can open the box early
and start scanning, just don't scan that last package before the ready time. then you are good to go. Also don't scan a ground package at an early opened dropbox it'll nail you.(yes we can scan them under exceptions, but I don't think the scan actually does anything)

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
I ended up going back to being a handler...Lol.
wait wait wait just a darned moment here!...after all that, you're just going to tell us 'I ended up going back to being a handler' and just walk away??? Ohh no no no, after all we've been through together, I think you OWE us all here a little more 'splanation than that!

So, just what the hell happened anyway???

wait wait wait just a darned moment here!...after all that, you're just going to tell us 'I ended up going back to being a handler' and just walk away??? Ohh no no no, after all we've been through together, I think you OWE us all here a little more 'splanation than that!

So, just what the hell happened anyway???
He seen you naked,In the locker room...lol