aetna long term disability transition. (on topic)

AllOnTheHorses

Trying again for info.. so I am a bit more than halfway through my 26 weeks of Short Term Disability. The doctor says I may never get out from under lifting restrictions. Since my injury happened off the job (I was honest enough to declare that officially), I understand that I will not return to UPS in any capacity unless given a 100% no restriction note from the doctor.. (according to HRSC)
[Had I lied, I could have Temporary Work$ right now, under my restrictions]

Anyway, I am trying to find out about the transition to Long Term Disability.
If I cannot get out from under the lifting restrictions, UPS policy dictates that I am essentially out of a job. However if my "disability" is only a lifting restriction, would I qualify for LTD?

In my mind there is a big difference between a lift restriction and someone who is Disabled.
I am curious about experiences here.. I will find some way to word my questions to Aetna, however I don't want to have them pull my eligibility based on something stupid that I may or may not say.
Anyone get LTD based on a not-so-disabling event? Thoughts?

I know I will most likely need to find other work. However it would be helpful to have the time to do so after the holidays when more business are looking ahead.

Last edited:
Trying again for info.. so I am a bit more than halfway through my 26 weeks of Short Term Disability. The doctor says I may never get out from under lifting restrictions. Since my injury happened off the job (I was honest enough to declare that officially), I understand (from HRSC) that I may not return to UPS in any capacity unless given a 100% no restriction note from the doctor.
[Had I lied, I could have Temporary Work right now, under my restrictions]

If I cannot get out from under the lifting restrictions, UPS policy dictates that I am essentially out of a job. However if my "disability" is only a lifting restriction, would I qualify for LTD?

In my mind there is a big difference between a lift restriction and someone who is Disabled.
I am curious about experiences here.. I will find some way to word my questions to Aetna, however I don't want to have them pull my eligibility based on something stupid that I may or may not say.

I know I will most likely need to find other work. However it would be nice to have the time to do so after the holidays when more business are looking ahead.
This is a little off your topic but in some states you can file for unemployment and receive it because an off the job injury with restrictions is considered laid off for lack of work as in light duty. In my state Ohio you can collect the unemployment as well as the union disibility.

8000Shelf

Disability for UPS employees only means not being able to perform all the duties and functions of the job.

Aetna (LTD) can take up to 45 days (usually 30 days however) to approve or deny your claim. Be

cautious, Aetna is not like Teamcare (STD). They will try to deny your claim for any reason. If and when

they do, UPS will stop paying your health benefits, meaning you will loose Teamcare coverage.

As far as loosing your job, even if LTD isn't approved, continue FMLA and your job will be

maintained.

You can file for unemployment but approval is tricky and it will take a while to

get paid.

I just went through it and the above was my experience. Let me know if you have anymore

questions I didn't answer.

8000Shelf

No problem.

Also, don't wait for Aetna to send you a application packet. I had to call them myself to start

the process. The application is about 30 pages long (not kidding). Some of it is in depth

so if you are going to possibly be out more than 26 weeks, start the claim 45 days prior to

that date.

AllOnTheHorses

Yes I called them, they said there is nothing I can do until November (one month ahead of 26 weeks' end.)
I definitely get the feeling that they give enough rope to hang one's self.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Trying again for info.. so I am a bit more than halfway through my 26 weeks of Short Term Disability. The doctor says I may never get out from under lifting restrictions. Since my injury happened off the job (I was honest enough to declare that officially), I understand that I will not return to UPS in any capacity unless given a 100% no restriction note from the doctor.. (according to HRSC)
[Had I lied, I could have Temporary Work$ right now, under my restrictions]

I know I will most likely need to find other work. However it would be helpful to have the time to do so after the holidays when more business are looking ahead.

Not aware of your situation/restrictions (and you definitely don't need to be posting specifics on a public forum) but you should consider an Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) accommodation. If it's affecting a core part of your job (lifting/lowering) then it might not be plausible, but I'm also not a lawyer. There have also been instances where the company allowed an employee to draw on their accrued pension without penalties as a result of becoming permanently disabled.

Anything that prevents you from working and providing for yourself and your family is NOT a "not-so-disabling event." It's a serious and disabling event, no matter the circumstances. I hope you're in touch with your local union -- best of luck to you.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Never tell the truth!!
Maybe cage the truth but getting caught in a lie will probably get you disqualified.
Then it goes to the courts.
UPS does not work with dishonest people in these situations.
Furthermore, it casts a shadow on the truthfulness of your entire claim.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Maybe cage the truth but getting caught in a lie will probably get you disqualified.
Then it goes to the courts.
UPS does not work with dishonest people in these situations.
Furthermore, it casts a shadow on the truthfulness of your entire claim.

I hate to agree with a former UPS corporate guy, but right is right.

Do not lie about disability or workman's compensation claims. Not only is it the "wrong thing to do" but one of the hardest things to do in life is lie continuously. It's hard to keep a complex lie going and trained investigators/judges see it every day.

Also, the first time they can prove (on the record) that you were inconsistent or dishonest, winning any type of court battle is going to be like running uphill backwards.

AllOnTheHorses

Piedmont- I am in touch with my union in as much as they are a go between for Teamcare Short Term Disability. I do plan this week to meet and discuss my situation since a few months off has not cured my problem.
I WAS surprised to learn (from HRSC) that there is NO going back without a 100% all clear from my doctor AND the company contracted doctor, since this happened off the job. (On the job injuries are accomodated with temporary lite duty work.)
However your point is taken, I will look into how ADA might cover some of my issues.. and the pension availability question.
Thank you ! : )

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Piedmont- I am in touch with my union in as much as they are a go between for Teamcare Short Term Disability. I do plan this week to meet and discuss my situation since a few months off has not cured my problem.
I WAS surprised to learn (from HRSC) that there is NO going back without a 100% all clear from my doctor AND the company contracted doctor, since this happened off the job. (On the job injuries are accomodated with temporary lite duty work.)
However your point is taken, I will look into how ADA might cover some of my issues.. and the pension availability question.
Thank you ! : )

Get all of the information possible from your BA and insist on a sit down meeting in his/her office.

Plan for the worst but hope for the best. I'm hope you're able to go back to work at full ability once you've recovered. Good luck.

8000Shelf

It's absolutely not the norm and almost always requires an ADA accommodation, requiring an outside attorney working on behalf of the affected member. Union has to agree with it.

Can you give a theoretical example of why the union might disagree with the hired attorney concerning an accommodation?

Also, doesn't the Teamster's provide members with legal council as part of membership?

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Can you give me a theoretical example of why the union might disagree with the hired attorney?

Also, doesn't the Teamster's provide members with legal council as part of membership?

Highly unlikely. Any BA with a sense of decency would almost never NOT sign off on it. It wouldn't be a disagreement with a personal attorney's assessment but the company's offer.

Not every local provides free legal assistance. My local provides more bennies than probably any other in the SE US but we probably couldn't provide open-ended no-cost legal council; we provide an extended consultation with one of the best workman's comp attorneys in the state at no cost to members. ADA accommodations and comp cases are exhaustive and expensive.

That being said, its potentially altering a permanent (single) FT job via accommodations and/or assignments (FT driver being reassigned to being a hub clerk for example) and the union needs to be involved.