AL GORE'S MASSIVE ENERGY USE!

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Exactly, doesn't make sense.

When you purchase an offset, do you just get the warm fuzzies, or something else? Whatever you get, don't use them. Maybe it is a 1%er problem, but I've never seen them to even buy them, so they must be either totally irrelevant, or something an environmental guy shouldn't need.
My power company sells them, my credit cards try to get me to use my rewards points for them, and I've seen advertisements for them in other places.

I said from the start I'm not a fan of carbon offsets, and that I thought it was an idea for rich out of touch elitists. What I was addressing was the claim that he's a hypocrite. If he's a proponent of carbon offsets, and buys carbon offsets, he's not a hypocrite. We can dislike the system he's pushing all we want but he's not a hypocrite just because he doesn't agree with us.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
I guess you have problems dealing with inconvenient truths.
giphy.gif

upschuck

My power company sells them, my credit cards try to get me to use my rewards points for them, and I've seen advertisements for them in other places.

I said from the start I'm not a fan of carbon offsets, and that I thought it was an idea for rich out of touch elitists. What I was addressing was the claim that he's a hypocrite. If he's a proponent of carbon offsets, and buys carbon offsets, he's not a hypocrite. We can dislike the system he's pushing all we want but he's not a hypocrite just because he doesn't agree with us.
Must be California thing.

So then why has he railed against all this pollution, yet doesn't want to do his share? Good enough for others, not for me. Sounds hypocritical to me.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Must be California thing.

So then why has he railed against all this pollution, yet doesn't want to do his share? Good enough for others, not for me. Sounds hypocritical to me.
I'm in the South.
Dude, it's the entire idea behind carbon offsets, you OFFSET pollution output by investing money to reduce it some place else. I'm seriously shocked this is the first you're hearing of this.

upschuck

I'm in the South.
Dude, it's the entire idea behind carbon offsets, you OFFSET pollution output by investing money to reduce it some place else. I'm seriously shocked this is the first you're hearing of this.
Why not just not pollute in the first place? Seems a whole lot more eco-friendly to me.

rickyb

al gore only briefly mentions teh animal agriculture industry in his sequel. al gore did very little about climate change as vice president.