Alcohol Discharge

Bald1der

4-5 years back I self-referred into UPS's alcohol counseling program. I completed it and was approved to work under the condition that I undergo mandatory random testing. This past week I met up with college buddy to have some beers. Lo and behold the next morning I receive a call to report to the testing center. I blew a .034 and a .040, obviously over the .020 threshold. I have a hearing on Monday and I expect to be discharged and go to panel. I have no DUIs or any other alcohol related arrests or citations. Has anyone ever been able to come back from this?

Integrity

Binge Poster
4-5 years back I self-referred into UPS's alcohol counseling program. I completed it and was approved to work under the condition that I undergo mandatory random testing. This past week I met up with college buddy to have some beers. Lo and behold the next morning I receive a call to report to the testing center. I blew a .034 and a .040, obviously over the .020 threshold. I have a hearing on Monday and I expect to be discharged and go to panel. I have no DUIs or any other alcohol related arrests or citations. Has anyone ever been able to come back from this?
Are you an alcoholic?

In not comfortable answering here in open forum you an PM me?

Integrity is an alcoholic who has not had a drink of alcohol in a long, long time.

Sincerely,
I

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
Are you an alcoholic?

In not comfortable answering here in open forum you an PM me?

Integrity is an alcoholic who has not had a drink of alcohol in a long, long time.

Sincerely,
I
BaldMasterFlex, please take Integrity's advice and PM him.

Integrity, thank you for reaching out.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less

According to the NMA, you can be terminated under Article 35 if you blow over a .02 as part of "post-care" testing and/or you fail to follow the "after-care treatment plan."

Now here's the kicker: Random testing is supposed to consist of at least 6 tests in a 12 month period after you've been cleared to work. Did the Substance Abuse Professional (SAP) extend your testing period, in writing? 4-5 years sounds like a long time.

Bald1der

Yes, unfortunately every year the ASAP company has had me sign an extension. But, I have a fellow driver who had a DUI and after 3 years has never been tested. Under the new tentative agreement it adds that a driver may reenter the program every 5 years (up to 3 times) instead of once, and article 35 section 4.11 it says the driver will have "opportunities (more than one)" for rehabilitation.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
But here's the problem: You committed the infraction under the current 2008-2013 agreement -- the language in the TA won't apply to your case. Even if it did, you can't try to take the rehabilitation option if you're caught on a positive test.

Your BA will probably deadlock at local level and your case will be decided by an arbitrator. I wish you the best.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
We had a similar incident this past summer. He went to a bachelor party and had his first drink in "quite awhile" then called in the next day. I don't know the specifics, but it centered around UPS "forcing" him to show-up for random testing (probably from a tip he'd been drinking the night before), he did and was subsequently discharged. I know his argument was that he should not have been made to come in given that he tried to call in, but UPS stood by that it was voluntarily. He did not get his job back. His route's currently up for bid.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

It takes a lot of courage.... to admit, you have a problem.

You asked for help.... And were given it.

You were a part, of the "return to work" agreement. You should have a copy.

Or.... at least remember, what you signed.

According to the NMA, you can be terminated under Article 35 if you blow over a .02 as part of "post-care" testing and/or you fail to follow the "after-care treatment plan."

Now here's the kicker: Random testing is supposed to consist of at least 6 tests in a 12 month period after you've been cleared to work. Did the Substance Abuse Professional (SAP) extend your testing period, in writing? 4-5 years sounds like a long time.

Yes, unfortunately every year the company SAP has had me sign an extension. Under the new tentative agreement it adds that a driver may reenter the program every 5 years (up to 3 times) instead of once, and article 35 section 4.11 it says the driver will have "opportunities (more than one)" for rehabilitation.

Good luck.

-Bug-

UPSGUY72

You didn't self reffer

You didn't just self-refer yourself into UPS's Alcohol program for no reason apparently it was affecting you showing up to work or showing up not fit to work and when they threatened to terminate you then you self-refereed yourself to save your job. Why would they make you sign an extension every year ??? Better yet why did you ???? That was just setting yourself up for failure....

To start sounds like one of your coworker (sup or union) saw your out or heard you were going out drinking.

Your problem is that you signed off on being tested and the consequences of failing a test...

When I was young and thought I new everything I got in trouble drinking more than once. I don't drink very often anymore and if I do it's one or two drinks. My wife says I'm no fun I tell her I drive for a living and without a license I'm out of a job.

Hopefully things will turn out for the best for you but don't count on it.... What ever happens let this be a learning experience don't sign anything that make you a target for getting fired....

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
If there is something to be learned here , ups 's" help "program just puts you at a greater risk of being fired for your " problem" Also, never sign anything unless you absolutely have to.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
When I was young and thought I new everything I got in trouble drinking more than once. I don't drink very often anymore and if I do it's one or two drinks. My wife says I'm no fun I tell her I drive for a living and without a license I'm out of a job.

I'm in the same boat as you, except I'm trying to drive for a living. My friends will talk :censored2: and bitch when I cash out after drink #2 or refuse to go to the bar at all but :censored2: getting popped (again) and losing a shot at a $60k-$100k/year gig.

Bald1der

I honestly did self-refer through the company's 1-800 number. But once they have your admission you have to comply or lose your job. If I knew it would jeopardize my career i wouldn't have taken that route.

UPSGUY72

I honestly did self-refer through the company's 1-800 number. But once they have your admission you have to comply or lose your job. If I knew it would jeopardize my career i wouldn't have taken that route.

What did you thin was going to happen ? You told someone you had alcohol problem that becomes a safety issue for both you and the rest of the people you work around or if you drive.

I wasn't signing an agreement. It's an acknowledgement.

Acknowledgement that they could test you when ever they would like to and you had to get tested or your get fired. That's called a agreement if you signed it.

Integrity

Binge Poster
To all the real issue is alcoholism,

If a person has it. Then it needs to be treated.

Alcoholism is an incurable condition that can only be arrested by not drinking.

It is often leads to prisons, insanity or death.

Having a job is irrelevant to the treatment of this disease.

It is my hope that all who have a problem like this and work for UPS get the help they need.

Sincerely,
I

Alexcross774

Spinning my wheels.
I wish you luck with your job. A good job is hard to find, but focus on what got you here. Find a sponsor, go to meetings, take care of yourself. What ever happens with UPS don't let it derail any efforts to stay sober.

brown_trousers

To all the real issue is alcoholism,

If a person has it. Then it needs to be treated.

Alcoholism is an incurable condition that can only be arrested by not drinking.

It is often leads to prisons, insanity or death.

Having a job is irrelevant to the treatment of this disease.

It is my hope that all who have a problem like this and work for UPS get the help they need.

Sincerely,
I

I agree completely.

Although losing his job at UPS could be very unfortunate, the bigger picture is the devestation of losing your wife, kids, health, and even your life.

i worked with a guy at UPS who was an alcoholic (but acted perfectly sober and respectable at work) he eventually seeked help to quit drinking, but by that time the damage was already done, and he died from withdrawl symptoms.

You can always find a new job, you can buy a new house, or get new car, but alcoholism will take what can't be replaced

Squint

No more work for me!
Once an alcoholic, always an alcoholic. It doesn't go away even if you quit drinking. It takes a certain kind of awareness to hold oneself in check over this disease. It always tugs on you, everyday of your life. I've been clean and sober since January 6, 1988 but still consider myself an alcoholic.

Don't ever give up your fight. It will get better. Find new friends, look ahead to the next day and always remember if you do slip up and have a drink, you will have lost all that time and effort that got you to that point. Give yourself a goal and try like heck to stick to it.