Am I reading this correctly?

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by Just Numbers, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Just Numbers

Just Numbers Retired

In a recent news article on bc the question was "Can ups and fedex replace the usps?" I read he UPS 25.5 Billion dollars in debt?
  2. Anonymous 10

Anonymous 10 Guest

It wouldn't surprise me at all.
  3. ajblakejr

ajblakejr Age quod agis

Yes, FedEx and UPS could replace the USPS.

We scan and sort USPS at SDF/Worldport.

And from what I understand, the USPS is one of the reasons Emery Worldwide started to failed. Emery had a huge contract to move the Priority Mail - the Post Office breached the contract.
  4. Just Numbers

Just Numbers Retired

Tie, if UPS is over 25 BILLION DOLLARS IN is still over 25 BILLION DOLLARS in debt!!!!! No matter how cheap the money is it still has to be paid back. I hope my teamster brothers understand how this can affect the next contract.
  5. packageguy

packageguy Well-Known Member

Wow 25 billion that sounds very high. If that's the case, poor managment.
    How could they get it that high Quarter after Quarter profit, profit and more profit
  6. 1000RR

1000RR Member

Are you sure you didn't misread something? Maybe the USPS is in debt that much.
  7. Just Numbers

Just Numbers Retired

Go to UPS NEWS FOR UPSERS on the home page of BROWN CAFE. The article is on page 2.
  8. Just Numbers

Just Numbers Retired

I just re-read this article....table 1 DEBT: USPS=12.0 BILLION DOLLARS, UPS=25.5 BILLION DOLLARS, FEDEX=11.0 BILLION DOLLARS!
  9. clueless

clueless New Member

Total Debt of UPS is $10.846B

From the balance sheet in the last 10-K filed:

Current Portion of L-T Debt is $.349B
    L-T Debt is $10.491B
    So, Total Debt is $10.846B

The author of the article apparently is using 'total liabilities' as debt. In financial analysis, debt is regarded as those obligations which are interest-bearing. Items such as 'deferred income tax liabilities' or 'accounts payable' do not incur interest charges, so while they are obligations, they are not considered 'debt' in terms of capitalization.