For those financially concerned about a strike…. How to cover your self

DOK

The price of these options always went up pretty drastically this morning. If you had an order at 2.22 it probably will not fill
You have to actually own 100 shares of ups in your brokerage account to actual do this, or be prepared to purchase that amount to be able to sell them under the put contract agreement on august 4th, am I correct in this?

I own company stick through payroll deduction, but none in my personal brokerage account.

I GOT ONE MORE

You have to actually own 100 shares of ups in your brokerage account to actual do this, or be prepared to purchase that amount to be able to sell them under the put contract agreement on august 4th, am I correct in this?

I own company stick through payroll deduction, but none in my personal brokerage account.
One can trade options without ever being assigned.

Just close your position before expiration.

What you are referring to is selling covered calls, the most conservative way to trade options.

I GOT ONE MORE

I understand much more than you think I do , 30 plus years of understanding at ups . This contract is something that happens every few years . I have planned for it the same as getting gas in my car to get to work every week . I know it’s coming so I just get gas . I don’t search for ways to buy the gas I just save enough to buy it . If you believe you have a fresh new idea you just came up with it means someone else came up with the same idea a long long time before you. But good luck I hope you survive the month ( if even that long strike ) . Some advice , 2028 is fast approaching so throw a couple bucks into a savings account.
Trading options is just like trading stocks, but with subtle differences.
It has nothing to do with UPS, it’s a strategy.
Options can be traded on every stock.

I GOT ONE MORE

That’s called time value.
It degrades the option value as expiration approaches, and will expire worthless at close of markets on expire date, if it’s out of the money.

Trading options almost always implies you will close your position at some point prior to expire or assignment.

However, one must watch the stock price, as it’s movement has a large influence of option price movements.

Last edited:

I GOT ONE MORE

How can you buy a put contract if you don’t own the shares? I’m afraid to pull the trigger on this purchase, anywhere you could suggest to find more info on how to do this?
Well first, your account must be approved for trading options.
In a company 401k, forget about it.
You have your selections and perhaps a self managed account where you can buy and sell individual stocks and bonds.

You need a IRA.
There, with proper options approval, you can trade options.
Puts and calls. You can sell them or buy them.
It’s confusing, but if your clouds clear, you get it.

To start, remember…..if you sell a call and don’t close it out before expiration, you must provide the shares at the strike price.
If you buy a call and don’t close it out, you are receiving the shares at the strike price.

Reverse for the put.
So I bought an Aug 4 put with strike price of 180 2.22 today.
Stock closed today at about $185.

If the stock drops 20$ before Aug 4, example, those $2.22 shares are worth about 15$.
So I sell, close out.

Bottom line, it’s a gamble just like buying a stock.
But there is a strike looming.
We will all know how it works out.

Like Faceplanted said, one can purchase an option (put or call) and sell it for a profit or loss depending on the underlying stock price movement.

Best advice, use you tube or investopedia to learn.
I’m still learning.
There are a lot of strategies with options, some are dangerous.

Pretty sure, you are referring to a covered call, which requires you to have the shares in account to give up if assignment is exercised.

Last edited:

I GOT ONE MORE

With puts you sell them immediately and hope the price goes down to buy them back at a lower price and pocket the difference, no?

I seriously never mess with it so don’t take my word for it. I’d do some research before diving in.
Actually, you buy them and sell them back, in this case.
You sell them and buy them back if the price goes up.

Commercial Inside Release

Just buy some shares at the first available moment, after there is an agreement. Otherwise, if there is a strike, watch the price take a nose dive, then buy in when you think it has bottomed.

The put described above, is a gamble... It will only pay if there is a strike. Right now, the stock is going up, when it really should be going down. So, I would only bet what you are willing to lose, 'cause something may be going on... Like an agreement that hasn't been finalized, yet.

If the stock starts going down soon, then your put might be okay. It might be going up due to insider info (illegal) about an agreement or the earnings report, dumb speculators, or big investors pumping the price to screw the options traders. (One firm will screw another's position, if it costs them little. They are competitors.)

*This is not financial or trading advice. It is just a transcript of the voices in my head.

I GOT ONE MORE

Just buy some shares at the first available moment, after there is an agreement. Otherwise, if there is a strike, watch the price take a nose dive, then buy in when you think it has bottomed.

The put described above, is a gamble... It will only pay if there is a strike. Right now, the stock is going up, when it really should be going down. So, I would only bet what you are willing to lose, 'cause something may be going on... Like an agreement that hasn't been finalized, yet.

If the stock starts going down soon, then your put might be okay. It might be going up due to insider info (illegal) about an agreement or the earnings report, dumb speculators, or big investors pumping the price to screw the options traders. (One firm will screw another's position, if it costs them little. They are competitors.)

*This is not financial or trading advice. It is just a transcript of the voices in my head.
Nothing wrong with your thoughts, BUT either way is a gamble.
One must make a decision, whether options or a long/ short position BEFORE a strike or agreement.

The stock will respond appropriately long before you or I has a chance to participate in the gap up or down.

Faceplanted

Do you think wall-st and investors will be happy to hear labor cost just drastically went up if and when we agree to a contract.

I have no clue, but people seem to be sure that if we get a contract agreement the stock is going to pump. I’m personally not sure.