Amazon Prime Now

HardknocksUPSer

You miss the point. They WERE big companies that everyone knew about. Not any more. You not knowing them just proves it.
How long were they well known? This company has survived depressions a very very large competitor as well as the biggest killer, time. Everything is tested over time. We as employees make this company great more so than anything.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Some examples of big companies that went down the tubes:

Wards (soon Sears) Interestingly, we got a Montgomery-Ward catalog in the mail the
other day.

friend.W. Woolworths Still alive as Foot Locker. (!)
RCA Bought by GE, and broken up.
TWA Carl Icahn and deregulation killed them.
Pan Am Fuel prices and deregulation.
EF Hutton After kiting checks, and laundering mob money, people stopped listening.
Paine Webber Damned Swiss took over.
General Foods Kraft Inc.

rod

Retired 22 years
Never heard of any of them[/B]. I would like to think of myself as somewhat of a educated individual. However their not big company's if the majority of folks have no idea who they are. Toddlers know the "UPS" man, Just sayin.

Just shows the sorry state of our educational system if this is a real post----otherwise this is a 10 year old kid.

HardknocksUPSer

Just shows the sorry state of our educational system if this is a real post----otherwise this is a 10 year old kid.
You don't like what I say so you in turn try to put me down? I'm not saying that UPS, A mega giant cannot fail, I'm simply saying it's unlikely. Both fedex and UPS have a large scale monopoly going worldwide. If you want something shipped you have two main options and no one who can compete with them.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
How is it free if you are asked to pay $5?
Amazon should be paying their Drivers a decent wage so they don't have rely on tips!
Imagine how our Drivers would hustle if they got $5 from each Customer they delivered to!
Im back in the truck and leaving by the time the customer gets to the door so they would have to chase me down in order to tip me.

QKRSTKR

Ups isn't to big to fail. Yes we are huge. It's not easy to start up doing what we do. Look at DHL. They didn't make it. But people at UPS use to laugh at a start up company delivering packages using contractors. Said it would never work. We all know RPS became our now competitor and biggest besides post office. Fed-ex ground.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Ask a Uber driver how they feel about the cut they get vs the insurance and mandatory model year car they must driver in. The only people thinking this is a good idea is corporate America praying on the desperate people with decent credit. No one who could pay cash for a modern vehicle would run it into the ground for the peanuts Uber pays, never mind Amazon.

BlackCoffee

Amazon just launched their 1 hour delivery service in my delivery area.. Cost $7.99 for 1 hr delivery and 2hr delivery is free (although they suggest your tip $5 to the driver). Have to have an Amazon prime membership and it's only on select items. Anyone on here have PrimeNow in their delivery radius and noticed a decline in Amazon packages on their route? Can't see how Amazon can be making money on this

We're starting to lost a lot of Amazon work and that is wonderful news for us!

underworked1

I had a good friend who was working at Railway Express Agency when I first started UPS. In fact his father-in-law ran the local REA office. He told me his FIL used to laugh when he told him that UPS was gaining momentum in the area. About a year later my friend was out of a job and his FIL was forced into retirement.
the same with our comfortability in automation and self driving vehicles. 20 years ago in Detroit there were people putting cars together by hand, laughing at the idea that automation could put all those little pieces together. They are now all unemployed.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
the same with our comfortability in automation and self driving vehicles. 20 years ago in Detroit there were people putting cars together by hand, laughing at the idea that automation could put all those little pieces together. They are now all unemployed.
This is what I have long said will be the end of us as delivery drivers more so than competition.

And not really the end more so as we will essentially be drivers helpers with the computer being the driver. So we won't be compensated as well.