Amazon will eventually take over UPS , question is how long

margaritaville

Amazon is definately a hype train for share holders to buy stuff. The drone idea is TERRIBLE. And if they do a delivery service i think it will fail from poor service. They will underpay people who will in turn do a bad job. I thought of a much better idea with upcoming technology but would not post it. I wish i could sell it but im too lazy on how to get it to an important person and get compensation for it.

Anyways, I don't think amazon is very intimidating, especially with the terrible drone idea already shows they are clueless and will fail. But at the same time i can accept that a "new idea" can completely wipe out of huge company fairly fast. Example: Blockbuster.

Last edited:

rod

Retired 22 years
We use to do a lot of stuff for JC Penney.
I wrote a program to interface with PPRS and we would FTP a file of their deliveries to them after the preload and they would have a printout before the driver arrived.
When I was in Corporate, one of my first projects was the old suitcases with a printer that interfaced with the DIAD via a DOI.
Later, a project was to eliminate the hardware of the Print at Stop suitcase which we replaced with Delivery Link.
All these were in direct demands by JC Penney.

BTW, the name Delivery Link was thought up by me ... Corporate Communications stalled around and did not come up with another name so I went with Delivery Link.
They bitched at me for years for publishing and copywriting Deliver Link without their input and approval.

Can I have your autograph?

Kicked Your Dog

25 Year UPSer/SoCal Feeder
Really? Sounds like denial. HEre are FACTS

-Amazon is building their own infrastructure of sort centers to run directly to USPS. This is pushing Fedex and UPS out of the picture more and more by the day.
-Amazon has leased a few thousand trailers
-Amazon has their own small trucking company in operation now
And jets
And is moving into international transportation
-Amazon's freight spend this year will increase 75%.
-Amazon is opening 46 new buildings Q1
Yeah, I can totally see the USPS delivering massive amounts of pkgs from their little safari wagons. More tin foil for your helmet?

moldsporh

Coldfeer........don't fear. Are you, and the rest of the ones buying into the amazon hype, aware of how large UPS really is as a company? There are people within UPS that go to great lengths to grow this company. Also, how many companies have been around for over 100 years....mainly surviving the Great Depression?

UPS' infrastructure is colossal, their seed has been planted long ago. What's gonna happen when Amazon employees want to get more of their fair share of the profits?

That...is what's only a matter of time.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Amazon is definately a hype train for share holders to buy stuff. The drone idea is TERRIBLE. And if they do a delivery service i think it will fail from poor service. They will underpay people who will in turn do a bad job. I thought of a much better idea with upcoming technology but would not post it. I wish i could sell it but im too lazy on how to get it to an important person and get compensation for it.

Anyways, I don't think amazon is very intimidating, especially with the terrible drone idea already shows they are clueless and will fail. But at the same time i can accept that a "new idea" can completely wipe out of huge company fairly fast. Example: Blockbuster.

Amazon was never serious about using drones for delivery but the fact that we are still talking about it today tells you just how successful this was for marketing purposes.

Blockbuster failed to recognize and react accordingly to the trend toward video streaming and video on demand.

Borders failed to recognize and react accordingly to the trend toward e-readers.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Coldfeer........don't fear. Are you, and the rest of the ones buying into the amazon hype, aware of how large UPS really is as a company? There are people within UPS that go to great lengths to grow this company. Also, how many companies have been around for over 100 years....mainly surviving the Great Depression?

UPS' infrastructure is colossal, their seed has been planted long ago. What's gonna happen when Amazon employees want to get more of their fair share of the profits?

That...is what's only a matter of time.

While I do agree that he is over reacting, I also agree with him in that the delivery side of our operations will slowly become just another division within UPS Inc.