Amazon's delicate packing tape

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

They get taped by a machine.

I used one of those machines when I worked in the shipping department at a Christmas bulb factory during summer break from college. The machine has a row of numbers and you pressed the one closest to the length that you would need. The paper tape had water applied to it before it was cut to length.

GillEagan

I always look 10 years younger than I am.
I used one of those machines when I worked in the shipping department at a Christmas bulb factory during summer break from college. The machine has a row of numbers and you pressed the one closest to the length that you would need. The paper tape had water applied to it before it was cut to length.

I have used a couple of different versions of these tape machines over the years. The push button is the easiest. The other version had a lever you pulled to the number and when you pushed the lever back the tape was cut. Also remember having to take the water reservoir to a water fountain to fill it up every now and then.

GillEagan

The driver I worked with last year had a tow hitch go through Amazon's crappy tape job and land on his toes. He was quite pissed. I couldn't say I blamed him.

rod

Retired 22 years
My experience with the 3 inch wide brown tape that needed to be wet to stick was that if its 20 below ----- it don't stick.

oldngray

nowhere special
My experience with the 3 inch wide brown tape that needed to be wet to stick was that if its 20 below ----- it don't stick.

Or when they try to use it over plastic packing tape it won't stick. They shouldn't even try but I saw it happen.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Where are these mythical things called "tape guns". I've only heard their names spoken in hushed tones amongst the preload employees, as if one had spotted a Sasquatch once.

W

What The Hawk?

Our tape is flimsy. Gotta tape something 10 times and MAYBE It won't open again.

landrick

Don't worry, they slapped the label right over the crease to help hold the box together. The inability to scan the barcode is just an added bonus.

Ha. What's funny is that Amazon knows that full well, which they gripe about to their vendors. "If the shipping label is placed over the seam of the box, it can be easily damaged in transit." Guess they don't care once they become the shipper. (I'd hate to be that guy in the red shirt…he must really be hating life.)

opey

a week or so ago I had a pkg from walmart which had one single piece of tape on each end, and 6 1-gallon jugs of motor oil inside, with no additional packing materials at all... you can take a guess on how i know what WAS inside...

Nike

The driver I worked with last year had a tow hitch go through Amazon's crappy tape job and land on his toes. He was quite :censored2:. I couldn't say I blamed him.
I'd sue, if what you say is true that's negligence on their part not just being cheap.

GillEagan

I'd sue, if what you say is true that's negligence on their part not just being cheap.

My impression of the situation was that tow hitches probably shouldn't be shipped in a cardboard box in the first place. They're just too heavy for the box to handle. As for the suing, I don't know what the driver did beyond what I saw.