An Even More Pointless Loading Policy

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
A few months ago, our DM decided that instead of peeling PAL labels...we need to write the HIN # on packages. Work as directed..I still peeled labels and scribbled the HINs to shut my sups up. Now, DM decided as of today, we are to write the bay #, route # and HIN on every package. Are you kidding me? Why stop there...just have us copy the tracking # for every package...or write each customer a personalized message?

The drivers barely look at PAL labels...let alone what we scribble in crayon...I could write "Screw you" on every box...they wouldn't notice...lol. Small sort is looking more appealing everyday...lol
:nobrainzombis:
I

bumped

I look at the HIN number when sorting the car or looking for the 4th of 4 packages.

They don't peel the PAL labels here. They use a crayon to write the HIN number on the side of the box. That is not for the driver. Its for the preloader to see what the HIN of said box is when loading around it.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Another pointless effort to stop a problem that cant be stopped. Loaders not being trained right and those idiots slamming everything down the loaders throats in an effort to finish a job that takes an hour or hour and a half longer than what they expect to realistically get done. And they wonder why the loads suck so bad everyday. Doesn't matter though because the drivers get the blame for everything anyway.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
It amazes me (not really) when preload has a truly "light" day and yet so many routes are cut that by 8:30, the whole place is bombed with stacks and 9am there's missed packages everywhere.

OT I guess, derail!

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Another pointless effort to stop a problem that cant be stopped. Loaders not being trained right and those idiots slamming everything down the loaders throats in an effort to finish a job that takes an hour or hour and a half longer than what they expect to realistically get done. And they wonder why the loads suck so bad everyday. Doesn't matter though because the drivers get the blame for everything anyway.
Yup...hour and 20 OT today..lol

Last edited:

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I look at the HIN number when sorting the car or looking for the 4th of 4 packages.

They don't peel the PAL labels here. They use a crayon to write the HIN number on the side of the box. That is not for the driver. Its for the preloader to see what the HIN of said box is when loading around it.
I can read the HIN off a PAL label much better than my own handwriting.

J

jibbs

When I help pull add-cuts I can't help but notice how barely anyone in my center marks their boxes up in any way. A few circle labels, even fewer write on the boxes, and I'm one of like 3 people that I know of that pulls and replaces PAL labels.

Seriously. It's ridiculous. I don't know how drivers are able to find :censored2: throughout the day when we can't find all of a 7 piece add-cut, lol. It seems like magic to me when I know what most of the loads that drivers are sent out with look like.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
When I help pull add-cuts I can't help but notice how barely anyone in my center marks their boxes up in any way. A few circle labels, even fewer write on the boxes, and I'm one of like 3 people that I know of that pulls and replaces PAL labels.

Seriously. It's ridiculous. I don't know how drivers are able to find :censored2: throughout the day when we can't find all of a 7 piece add-cut, lol. It seems like magic to me when I know what most of the loads that drivers are sent out with look like.
Agreed...management should focus more on load quality but who cares?? Just jam it in anywhere...the drivers will find it eventually. It's not right, but i do what i can to make my drivers' days easier.

oldngray

nowhere special
Drivers don't care about the HIN because the sequence number for an address changes every day. When there were actual load charts the drivers would know the sequence numbers and pay attention. Now its pretty pointless except for giving the driver a general idea where to look for a package.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Drivers don't care about the HIN because the sequence number for an address changes every day. When there were actual load charts the drivers would know the sequence numbers and pay attention. Now its pretty pointless except for giving the driver a general idea where to look for a package.
I get it...for certain stops on certain routes i load by address. Or by store. One truck...half of it is a strip mall...15 stores...say 250 pieces..all PAL'd to 3500. Where i load them in the PC depends on which store they go to.....HIN # doesn't help me there...lol

Fedex Guy

A few months ago, our DM decided that instead of peeling PAL labels...we need to write the HIN # on packages. Work as directed..I still peeled labels and scribbled the HINs to shut my sups up. Now, DM decided as of today, we are to write the bay #, route # and HIN on every package. Are you kidding me? Why stop there...just have us copy the tracking # for every package...or write each customer a personalized message?

The drivers barely look at PAL labels...let alone what we scribble in crayon...I could write "Screw you" on every box...they wouldn't notice...lol. Small sort is looking more appealing everyday...lol
I

I have never once looked at anything that somebody from preload has written on a box, never.

Just to be clear, I don't work for FedEx. Crazy I know.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
It really is amazing. Give the preload an extra half hour to get the job done and each loader one less car. Watch preload hours go up at $10-$15 an hour. So that drivers hours can go down at $30-$50 an hour. Seems like simple math to me but I'm just a dumb truck driver.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
What's annoying is when a section is cut to me from a neighboring route and my route# and hin are written in big black marker, then I bring it back as a send again (ghetto) and the next day the package is supposed to be back on the neighboring route but lands in my truck due to the previous day's marker all over it, but I'm nowhere near that area that day so its missed then the next day it finds its way back to the right truck but is last minute cut to me again but now there are so many marker scribbles you can't read anything on the package. The customer must be like wtf, why are they scribbling all over my nice white macys bag.

Sent from Droid 4 using Brown Cafe mobile app

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian

Enjoy the writer's cramp.

laffter

The driver of one of the routes I load never looks at PALs. The moment he picks up a box, he looks directly at the shipping label. Every time I see him sorting anything, he does this. I driver helped him last peak and he did the same exact thing- each and every time he picked up any box that he needed to look at.

I asked one of my other drivers if he cared about sequence numbers and he said he did not... as long as stuff is loaded together and bulk stops are not scattered around.

If you load your crap accurately enough in sequence, the PAL numbers don't REALLY need to be visible, facing out.

Unfortunately, DPS loves pulling splits off my routes. I make it extremely easy for them. That's probably not a good thing...