An old question about IE, numbers and other things that dont matter.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
And I know they dont matter, but.
How come last yr, I was forced to take a jumper with 123, but today, 122 is not 8 hrs. Just sayin. But it still takes me 10 hrs.
Now I am not 29 anymore, but Im so sick of the crap. Every since I threatened to file an over 9.5, they cant stuff enough in my truck to make it 8 hrs, on the comic papers.
I was the last one in at 8pm, guy got fired for damage on his truck, which he reported, and said he didnt do. I think they are trying to make me blow it. I wont of course, the more they abuse me the longer I will stay. But I need some reinforcement for the beatings Monday morning. Im not real good at quick comebacks, so I need a few. I should mention I had no walkway til like 2. I could post a pic, but we know that isnt a good idea, use your imagination. Also had like 20 more miles. Than normal so no I did not make my sporh.

Cementups

Box Monkey
How about instead of threatening to file 9.5 grievances, actually file them. If they won't fix it then you may as well get paid for it. Don't let them intimidate you. They pushed so you shove.......paperwork down their throats!!!

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Well said
They will use my overallow against me, but its more than it should be. They changed the bar somehow.

barnyard

KTM rider
Well said
They will use my overallow against me, but its more than it should be. They changed the bar somehow.

They raise the bar everytime we get a raise.

Every 'enhancement' that has been done, changes the standard. Nothing is done to get us home earlier, every single 'improvement' has been about getting more stops on car.

Does not matter that it is harder for us to get in and out of a package car 150 times a day, that is up to us to suck it up.

Can't help you with Monday.....

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
How about instead of threatening to file 9.5 grievances, actually file them. If they won't fix it then you may as well get paid for it. Don't let them intimidate you. They pushed so you shove.......paperwork down their throats!!!

damn this no like stuff

I brownslave688 approve of this post.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Well said

But remember, the union doesn't recognized their numbers. 9.5 hours is just that.....9.5 hours. That means off the clock in 9.5 hours, no matter what their papers say.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Bring a copy of the contract in to the meeting and politely ask them to show you where it says you have to run according to their "standard". When they are unable to do so, then politely suggest that they share their concerns about your "overallowed" with someone who gives a :censored2:. Just be polite. :happy-very:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

How about an EEOC complaint.

What would be the basis of your complaint?

The only recourse that we have available to us is to work within the methods and to file 9.5 grievances as needed. Filing the grievances will result in increased scrutiny which may include 3 day rides. Hopefully after your on-car rides with you for 3 days he/she will figure out that you have legitimate complaints about your workload and will adjust it accordingly.

CharleyHustle

I need some reinforcement for the beatings Monday morning. Im not real good at quick comebacks, so I need a few.

Just remember, its your SPORH, not theirs. Always be responsive and encourage them to go with you to show you how to improve. They think everyone is scared poopless to have a sup ride along. With the contract book you got from soberups, ask them where it says you have to pee in a bucket? Just before you leave the office say "by the way, your mouthwash ain't cutting it".

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
But remember, the union doesn't recognized their numbers. 9.5 hours is just that.....9.5 hours. That means off the clock in 9.5 hours, no matter what their papers say.

Like above States. The union doesn't say they are your numbers. It is your managers numbers on you. That is how they get payed. If your "payed under " you give them extra credit. At the end of January they go to a meeting and get a big fat bonus. This is why they love the "runners ", lunch skippers, the guys who take lunch out of the 3rd to 5th hour. Maybe when you follow the rules. You will win in the game

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I am none of the above. I take my 1st break after air, my 2nd when I am done, my lunch between the 3rd and fifth, except occasionally, I will only take ten, if I NEED to get off early. But I only put in 10.
I can never be accused of being a runner, gunner, lunch skipper, etc.
Upstate, I had a 3 day. Now he thinks I need to do 15, and harrasses me daily, which is why I think I am being force to file a harrassement grievance. My ride was 13.9 to 14.2, which I do, except when extended, or bulked out. I have tried without success to politely say Its math, I cant fix it, you cant magically say I need to do 15, when my best demonstrated was 13.9 to 14.2.
They scrutinize me daily anyway. So it cant be any worse.
The difference now is I care little, I used to care. I just want the quippy comebacks, and info I need, like the contract. To make my golden years at UPS, more golden!
Thanks all

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Just remember, its your SPORH, not theirs. Always be responsive and encourage them to go with you to show you how to improve. They think everyone is scared poopless to have a sup ride along. With the contract book you got from soberups, ask them where it says you have to pee in a bucket? Just before you leave the office say "by the way, your mouthwash ain't cutting it".

Since I'm not a driver, how does this sporh thing work? Is it like your average speed to deliver x amount of boxes in x amount of time? Say that you were a new driver and you scratch everyday up to your 30 days (not taking any breaks and coming in early to go through your truck and make sure everything is ready before you hit the road). What if you stop doing all of that after you make book and then started working safely and taking all your breaks, wouldn't your prior scratching days overshadowed that and significantly mess up your sporh? Couldn't they fire you for that?

Cementups

Box Monkey
Anytime they bring up that they want you to go faster, let them know you don't feel safe going faster. Bring up the word safety as much as possible and they usually back down. Anytime they say something to me about faster I say to them, "Do you want me to work faster or safer cause you're not getting both." They usually walk away from me.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
Work Safely, Work By the Methods. Drive the posted speed limit , Stay out of Yards walking only on Driveways and Designated Walkways, Zero out on the telematics report , use 3 points of Contact getting in and out of the truck. DONT BACK unless you just have to( saving time dosent count) Make all of your deliveries and pick ups within the commit times, no late air, no missed pkgs doing this will give the Company a Fair Days Work for a Fair Days Pay. They can do Fark All against you if you do this,regardless of the how you look on their made up fantasy numbers(and they KNOW it)

The ONLY reason they are harassing you about production is because you allow them to. File a grievance for harassment and this will stop,and next January get on the 9.5 list and file every week you are forced to work excessive OT ( I made $3,000 so fay this year from these grievances) One has to stand up for oneself in this job

This job is a Marathon not a Sprint. Work at a good pace that can sustain you for 30 years and understand no matter how good you do it aint NEVER gonna be good enough

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
Work Safely, Work By the Methods. Drive the posted speed limit , Stay out of Yards walking only on Driveways and Designated Walkways, Zero out on the telematics report , use 3 points of Contact getting in and out of the truck. DONT BACK unless you just have to( saving time dosent count) Make all of your deliveries and pick ups within the commit times, no late air, no missed pkgs doing this will give the Company a Fair Days Work for a Fair Days Pay. They can do Fark All against you if you do this,regardless of the how you look on their made up fantasy numbers(and they KNOW it)

The ONLY reason they are harassing you about production is because you allow them to. File a grievance for harassment and this will stop,and next January get on the 9.5 list and file every week you are forced to work excessive OT ( I made $3,000 so fay this year from these grievances) One has to stand up for oneself in this job

This job is a Marathon not a Sprint. Work at a good pace that can sustain you for 30 years and understand no matter how good you do it aint NEVER gonna be good enough

and yes doing this will put a target on your back, There is certainly nothing to fear if you do the job the same way,at the same pace day in and day out.
I have never ever seen anyone terminated for being Over Allowed but I have seen quite a few Runner Gunners fired for doing stupid crap to 'scratch' or 'make the numbers'
management LOVES these guys until they Eff up. One good Eff Up and they forget about 'performance'

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
What would be the basis of your complaint?

The only recourse that we have available to us is to work within the methods and to file 9.5 grievances as needed. Filing the grievances will result in increased scrutiny which may include 3 day rides. Hopefully after your on-car rides with you for 3 days he/she will figure out that you have legitimate complaints about your workload and will adjust it accordingly.

A mere on-car supervisor does not have the authority to "adjust a workload accordingly". Tooner's on-car sup is probably already aware of the fact that the workload is excessive and the allowance is unfair, but an on-car sup cannot ever allow a little thing like reality to get in the way of generating the make-believe numbers that upper management wants to see. Corporate policy has always been that if there is a production problem on a route, it is the drivers fault. Period. This policy is chiseled in stone and will never be changed. The goal, as always, is to create a "standard" that can only be met by working off of the clock. Tooner isnt willing to work off of the clock, hence she is the problem.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
"I'm working to the best of my ability."

Smile, kill them with kindness.

Management is not in any more control than you are, though they want to give the illusion that they are. Show them who's boss by ignoring the harassment and always spinning something positive out of their constant negativity and controlling ways.

center manager: "you were 14.2 and 14.4 SPORH the past two days"
Me: "I made an improvement, thank you for recognizing."