another win for freight

bbsam

Staff member
The basic business model would need to change, Sammy, and they aren't going to mess with the Golden Goose. It's cheaper to pay settlements for Ground accidents, and deal with the constant turnover rather than create a more professional organization. Doing so would decrease the profit margin.
Then we'll just deal with turnover same way Express does.

bbsam

Staff member
Yeah, that's me. When I see a Ground driver pull parallel to the curb or back-in instead of nosing-in to a dock or residential, I'll know you've "arrived". In the meantime, I'll just keep pulling the keys from the running truck blocking me at the alley or dock and toss them underneath the Ground vehicle.
I...don't care.

bbsam

Staff member
You sound more like "Pittsburgh" with each passing day.
You are correct. I do not believe in the "Purple Promise". All it means is I go out of my way, lose money, and the company benefits. They already get far, far more than they pay for. We excel at the basics. Beyond that, I don't care.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
Yes republican propaganda made the vote in Chicago an almost 2 to 1 no vote. That incredible Republican stronghold of Chicago. No democrats there.
Workers don't believe a union can deliver what they claim they can. If they trusted a union they would vote to be represented by one, that's not propaganda it's reality.
Ahhhh, I see why you have these terrible opinions. Your a contractor. I be worried too.
Yes republican propaganda made the vote in Chicago an almost 2 to 1 no vote. That incredible Republican stronghold of Chicago. No democrats there.
Workers don't believe a union can deliver what they claim they can. If they trusted a union they would vote to be represented by one, that's not propaganda it's reality.
No reality is I make triple what your drivers make and health care, vacation and a real retirement because I'm union. And you guys get squat because your not union. That's reality. Your claims of "workers Dont want" where do you come up with this stuff lol. Your a contractor, its your goal to take as much as you can from your guys. Please go.

It will be fine

10 terminals out of three hundred + have voted 4 of them have voted for representation.
You disregard the 6 where the union pulled out, likely due to lack of support. Including those, the union is at a 25% win rate. Even if you don't include them, 40% is not too impressive either. I don't know, but I would guess they planned the beginning of their campaign in areas where they believed they'd have the most support. Only getting less than half the terminals is not a good sign.

MAKAVELI

You disregard the 6 where the union pulled out, likely due to lack of support. Including those, the union is at a 25% win rate. Even if you don't include them, 40% is not too impressive either. I don't know, but I would guess they planned the beginning of their campaign in areas where they believed they'd have the most support. Only getting less than half the terminals is not a good sign.
When you consider how anti union fedex and Fred S is four terminals is huge and it's only the beginning.

Last edited:

overflowed

Genie has been let out of the bottle so to speak. I can guarantee in a few years maybe longer till the contracts are hashed out at the stations that voted yes. Those stations that voted no will revote with a yes vote. As soon as the no votes find out that the stations that voted in the union make better compensation. Before they would try to keep it quiet so no other stations find out, social media has changed that.

It will be fine

Genie has been let out of the bottle so to speak. I can guarantee in a few years maybe longer till the contracts are hashed out at the stations that voted yes. Those stations that voted no will revote with a yes vote. As soon as the no votes find out that the stations that voted in the union make better compensation. Before they would try to keep it quiet so no other stations find out, social media has changed that.
Or they lock in current compensation rates at the union terminals while they negotiate in "good faith" for the next 5-10 years. Meanwhile they increase pay at every other station. Then maybe they open some new stations to handle "growth" and start diverting work out of the union stations. Then a yes vote will look like less work and less compensation. We all know Fred is pretty good at this whole union busting thing. He'll drop tons of cash until the teamsters give up, then take it all back.

MAKAVELI

Or they lock in current compensation rates at the union terminals while they negotiate in "good faith" for the next 5-10 years. Meanwhile they increase pay at every other station. Then maybe they open some new stations to handle "growth" and start diverting work out of the union stations. Then a yes vote will look like less work and less compensation. We all know Fred is pretty good at this whole union busting thing. He'll drop tons of cash until the teamsters give up, then take it all back.
Bargaining " in good faith " is not 5-10 years. That would bring numerous ulp charges and a ton of bad publicity. This campaign was never going to be easy and definitely looked at as a long hard fight. The point you are missing is the longer this fight goes on the more $ FedEx spends and the worse they look in the public eye.

overflowed

They care a lot about PR. Imagine if that made the news?

It will be fine

They care a lot about PR. Imagine if that made the news?
Here's how I imagine it.
One day headline: FedEx isn't playing nice with labor union.

Average freight shipper, "Oh boy, it sure sounds bad for those poor truck drivers"
FedEx sales, "We can handle your freight for $X less than the competition."
Average freight shipper, "I'd like to schedule a pickup."

bbsam

Staff member
Bargaining " in good faith " is not 5-10 years. That would bring numerous ulp charges and a ton of bad publicity. This campaign was never going to be easy and definitely looked at as a long hard fight. The point you are missing is the longer this fight goes on the more $ FedEx spends and the worse they look in the public eye.
The "public eye"? Aside from here, I've heard nothing about it. Are you sure the public even cares?