Anybody Else Get Paid the Triple Time 9.5 Penalty Yet?

tourists24

I need some clarification on this 9.5 issue. I thought that if the driver had a planned day/dispatch that was 9.5 or greater for 3 days or more than an grievance can be filed. I didn't think that it was based upon how long it took the driver to deliver the area, especially if his paid day was over 9.5 but his dispatch was not. Any clarification on this would be appreciated.

Issues with 9.5 is based on hours worked, NOT planned/dispatched day. A lot of managers may try to use this as strategy to prevent grievances, but if the issue makes it to panel, it will be based on actual hours worked. Now there are different games that can be used to try and find out why you are taking so long to finish your route, but that's a whole new can of worms. It's still hours worked.

upsgrunt

How can that be? You say "...building up miles" is the only thing they can "gig" you on? That WORKING over 9.5 is the key?

How about working as directed? I can just see this now in a grievance hearing:

"Did you run the area according to trace? No? Then how do you know you would've gone over? Are you smarter than us? You know what a 9.5 dispatch is?"

Also, miles doesn't equate to more time? How about I have a deteor of about 60 miles. If I drive 60 miles per hour, it takes me 1 hour to complete the deteor with nothing accomplished but driving miles. The package driver that delivers to my house (no, I'm not a p/c driver and haven't been for some years. Am a feeder driver) says he was running about 33 miles a day before the "new" PAS. If he runs "on trace", he now puts in about 100 miles a day. That doesn't take more time? He doesn't just "gig" em on miles, he "gigs" em on time every day too!

"Valid reasons for being off trace"? Like what? You give one but I don't see that as valid. A local business closes at 3 and it's 2:50 and you got 10 more businesses in between? Is that MY fault that EDD doesn't know that? Sounds like a call to dispatch is in order at that time. I never did and never would now make those kind of decisions when I had previously informed dispatch of these problems. This business closes at 3 every day and this is the first time you've made that known?

"You sometimes HAVE to break trace"? The sometimes you HAVE to break trace, is it approved by center manager? If not, I don't do it! PERIOD!

That's how you win grievances! By WORKING AS DIRECTED!!!

I think things have changed a LOT in package since you went to feeders. There is a fine line between working a directed and giving service. I agree with Trp that sometimes you have to break trace- for all the reasons he gave plus a few more: to get a bulky stop out of the middle of the truck that is PALed to the 6000 shelf so you can deliver 1-5, and if you can get some ground stops off with an out of the way NDA. I'd like to think that with my area knowledge that UPS would appreciate the decisions I make- at least a few of them. Simply working as directed just to win a grievance is just wrong in my opinion.

Overpaid Union Thug

PAS/EDD isn't perfect. We all know this. Time allotments for routes aren't perfect either. We all definitely know this to be true. We all know that those "planned days' are based on a near perfect load, not having to back track for later opening businesses, customers being prompt, normal traffic, etc., so if I'm a dispatcher sitting in front of my computer and a route is almost in the red or, is already in the red then why would I not at least try and move some work around? If a driver is always running over 9.5 on a route that is "planning" under 9.5 then isn't that when I should realize that something is probably wrong with the route?

How can that be? You say "...building up miles" is the only thing they can "gig" you on? That WORKING over 9.5 is the key?
Yes WORKING over 9.5 IS the key to winning an over 9.5 grievance. That is what the contract is addressing, by definition, excessive overtime. When the statement of miles being the only thing they can gig you on is taken out of context, it is an incorrect statement.

How about working as directed? I can just see this now in a grievance hearing:

"Did you run the area according to trace? No? Then how do you know you would've gone over?
Because of extensive experience on this area, I know what it takes to make service (as in United Parcel SERVICE) is achieved.
Are you smarter than us?
Not necessarily, however I do feel that I an smarter than EDD.
You know what a 9.5 dispatch is?"
I do know that a so called 9.5 dispatch varies from one route to another and I know how to make SERVICE on packages. I have never read in the contract that I am responsible for dispatch, but I do read that I am responsible for SERVICE.

Also, miles doesn't equate to more time? How about I have a deteor of about 60 miles. If I drive 60 miles per hour, it takes me 1 hour to complete the deteor with nothing accomplished but driving miles.
I don't know how anyone can be held responsible for detours?
The package driver that delivers to my house (no, I'm not a p/c driver and haven't been for some years. Am a feeder driver)(maybe you should stick to feeder questions and suggestions) says he was running about 33 miles a day before the "new" PAS. If he runs "on trace", he now puts in about 100 miles a day. That doesn't take more time? He doesn't just "gig" em on miles, he "gigs" em on time every day too!
That's not the driver "gigging" the company, that's the company "giiging" themselves. The driver that delivers to your house is proof that staying "on trace" is not always a good thing.

"Valid reasons for being off trace"? Like what? You give one but I don't see that as valid.
That's the only one needed, SERVICE. You don't see that as a valid reason for going off trace? No wonder you went into feeders.
A local business closes at 3 and it's 2:50 and you got 10 more businesses in between? Is that MY fault that EDD doesn't know that?
No, it isn't my fault that EDD doesn't know that, but it would be me that got "gigged" for a service failure and a unhappy customer.

Sounds like a call to dispatch is in order at that time.
It would take more time to call dispatch and get a solution than to make SERVICE on the package.
I never did and never would now make those kind of decisions when I had previously informed dispatch of these problems. This business closes at 3 every day and this is the first time you've made that known?
What gives you the impression this is the first time it has been addressed?

"You sometimes HAVE to break trace"? The sometimes you HAVE to break trace, is it approved by center manager? If not, I don't do it! PERIOD!

That's how you win grievances! By WORKING AS DIRECTED!!!
OK, now we have a conundrum, do you work as directed to make service on all packages or do you work as directed to stay on trace? You can't always do both.

raceanoncr

I think things have changed a LOT in package since you went to feeders. There is a fine line between working a directed and giving service. I agree with Trp that sometimes you have to break trace- for all the reasons he gave plus a few more: to get a bulky stop out of the middle of the truck that is PALed to the 6000 shelf so you can deliver 1-5, and if you can get some ground stops off with an out of the way NDA. I'd like to think that with my area knowledge that UPS would appreciate the decisions I make- at least a few of them. Simply working as directed just to win a grievance is just wrong in my opinion.

Sure a LOT has changed since I went to feeders, but, you know what? The more things change, the more they stay the same! Look, I'm not against giving service, by any means. I think that's most important. We can and have gone on about this for many threads and I think there's a new one on here now abou the same issue. But, does it seem like the company wants to give service? I'll let the other threads answer that.

The original question presented by this thread was if anybody else has gotten paid the trip time for over 9.5. Some started answering this and then we get into a p***ing match about who's giving service. All I'm saying is this: You want to break trace and give all the service you can, I say knock yourself out! I applaud you! But then, you turn around and file a grievance because you're taking it upon yourself to make your own route, well, I'd have a hard time accepting that for presentation to a local, state or JAC panel. Why?

I've been with this company long enough (OK, flame me on this too. Some have been here longer, some shorter. Some are smarter, some are dumber), I can play devil's advocate. Let's see...you're in a grievance hearing for this...the labor manager askes you if you ran trace. You say NO! He says CASE DISMISSED! How can you legally hope to win this case when you did something illegal? Okay, that's extreme language, but I hope you get the point. "I DID run the red light, Officer, but I was late for an appointment". Are you gonna win THAT one?

If I file on something, I better make damn sure I AM working as directed on THAT issue and others. Why? Again, other threads have talked about you drawing a target on your back for the future.

Again, don't get me wrong here (as others surely have I can see), you want to break trace and provide service, I'm all for it. But, PLEASE don't try filing on it every time when you go over and expect to win. Maybe you will but most likely you won't.

raceanoncr

tripinkl,
You responded, criticized, rebutted, castigated me in my insistance on running trace. Fine! I don't care or get offended.

I still question why you responded with the statement that building up miles is the only thing they can gig you on, then state that it was taken out of context, it, being an incorrect statement. I say running up miles, going off trace could be contrued as being dishonest. ME saying it's dishonest? NO! The COMPANY saying it's dishonest. I say again, as I have many times on the Cafe, that this company may be morons when it comes to dispatch but experts when it comes to espionage and deceit. On this issue, the miles, I was merely saying, "Be careful, they can gig you on anything they want"!

You say you have extensive experience to make service (as in United Parcel SERVICE)? Well, don't we all? I would like to think so. The question most times, tho, is this: "Do you want me to make service or do you want me to work as directed?" Most times anymore, you can't do both. Correct?

In answer to my question from management, "You know what a 9.5 dispatch is"?, you stated that you know how to make SERVICE on packages and that you never read in the contract that you are responsible for dispatch, you are responsible for SERVICE. I say, TRUE, the contract does NOT make you responsible for dispatch but it certainly makes you responsible for WORKING AS DIRECTED, does it not? My bid sheet says that exact thing. As I stated before, I would LOVE to give the best service possible, but for some strange reason, the company does not want to do this. Example: FDX a couple yrs ago opened up a so-called fast lane in the middle of the states. UPS vaulted into action (following FDX, of course) and launched their own "fast-lane" in the same area, matching service, adding many sleeper runs to compensate. When asked why we couldn't do that in our lane, some miles north, a major corridor for shipping, our center manager stated, and I heard this directly, "Because FDX hasn't done it yet"! How shocking!

We could very easily institute over night service from many more areas than we do now but just won't. Why? It cost too much for one, but mainly because FDX ain't done it yet. So, I know how to give SERVICE too but just CAN'T. Oh, I could take it upon myself to keep on driving, by-passing my meet point and drive directly to the trailer destination, if my hours would allow, then when I'm fired I can claim I was making service but how would THAT fly? Sure, it's an exageration. Don't ding me on THIS now!

You also dinged me a couple times ("maybe you should stick to feeder questions and suggestions") and ("No wonder you went into feeders") and I admit I may not have your package car edymacation but I DID spend more time there than I ever wanted or would want to again and have contact with some of my old friends there and read this when my GED coach lets me and can help me wif the big words.

Again, I point out the title of this thread, "Anybody else get paid...". The question originally was about winning grievances on this 9.5 issue. I say, go for it but don't expect miracles. You ever been in these hearings where the company nitpiks about every little nuance of your job? I'm sure you have. So have I! I know what they're capable of. That's why I say, "Give SERVICE all you want, skip your lunch, go off trace, run across the yards, jumb off the docks, sign the DIAD yourself, do everything it takes to make SERVICE but don't file a grievance on your lunch, breaking your leg stepping in a resi gopher hole, sprain your back jumping off a dock, etc.". AND, running off trace. You think you're gonna win? I hope you do, but I don't think so.

I could go on and on about SERVICE, as you so keenly loved to throw out in this rebuttal. You talk about it taking more time to call dispatch than it does to actually MAKE service. I say, probably true. But what are the instructions? You go off trace to make service a couple miles away. What happens if you have an accident? How is the company gonna stand behind you on THIS one? No verbal answer needed here, I already know.

Lastly, I DO NOT condone sacrificing SERVICE just to win grievances. BUT, by golly, you file a grievance on an issue, you better be able to back it up! OR be prepared to lose. Notice, now, (and I can see you blasting me here along with others), I said BE PREPARED to lose. Maybe you'll win but in cases I have seen here, you make ONE misstep, you WILL lose.

Again, thanks for the kind words and will look forward to the next issue of, "Let's Make RACEANONCR look like an idiot"!

tripinkl,
You responded, criticized, rebutted, castigated me in my insistance on running trace. Fine! I don't care or get offended.
You were doing a fair amount of castigating yourself there. I was doing my best to answer your claims/questions about trace. I can understand how going off trace in feeders could/might be considered a really big deal. However, at least in our center, it's not that big of a deal. Especially since Pas has been implemented there are many routes that are not in an order that trace can be followed and service be made.

I still question why you responded with the statement that building up miles is the only thing they can gig you on, then state that it was taken out of context, it, being an incorrect statement. I say running up miles, going off trace could be contrued as being dishonest.
Breaking trace does not always mean running up miles. You said yourself that many of the drivers you know are running more miles than they were before. Breaking trace can in effect, reduce miles.
ME saying it's dishonest? NO! The COMPANY saying it's dishonest. I say again, as I have many times on the Cafe, that this company may be morons when it comes to dispatch but experts when it comes to espionage and deceit. On this issue, the miles, I was merely saying, "Be careful, they can gig you on anything they want"!
You've been around UPS long enough to know that everything they try to gig you on doesn't stick.

You say you have extensive experience to make service (as in United Parcel SERVICE)? Well, don't we all? I would like to think so. The question most times, tho, is this: "Do you want me to make service or do you want me to work as directed?" Most times anymore, you can't do both. Correct?
I believe I said that in the last two lines of my castigating, criticizing, rebuttal.

In answer to my question from management, "You know what a 9.5 dispatch is"?, you stated that you know how to make SERVICE on packages and that you never read in the contract that you are responsible for dispatch, you are responsible for SERVICE.
Again I was merely answering your "management" question. I may have not given the correct answer. I never said I was a genius. And quite possibly, given more time to think of another answer I may not answer in that way.
I say, TRUE, the contract does NOT make you responsible for dispatch but it certainly makes you responsible for WORKING AS DIRECTED, does it not?
Am I NOT directed to make service on all packages if possible?
My bid sheet says that exact thing. As I stated before, I would LOVE to give the best service possible, but for some strange reason, the company does not want to do this. Example: FDX a couple yrs ago opened up a so-called fast lane in the middle of the states. UPS vaulted into action (following FDX, of course) and launched their own "fast-lane" in the same area, matching service, adding many sleeper runs to compensate. When asked why we couldn't do that in our lane, some miles north, a major corridor for shipping, our center manager stated, and I heard this directly, "Because FDX hasn't done it yet"! How shocking!

We could very easily institute over night service from many more areas than we do now but just won't. Why? It cost too much for one, but mainly because FDX ain't done it yet. So, I know how to give SERVICE too but just CAN'T. Oh, I could take it upon myself to keep on driving, by-passing my meet point and drive directly to the trailer destination, if my hours would allow, then when I'm fired I can claim I was making service but how would THAT fly? Sure, it's an exageration. Don't ding me on THIS now!
Well, ...never mind.

You also dinged me a couple times ("maybe you should stick to feeder questions and suggestions") and ("No wonder you went into feeders") and I admit I may not have your package car edymacation but I DID spend more time there than I ever wanted or would want to again and have contact with some of my old friends there and read this when my GED coach lets me and can help me wif the big words.
I'm not sure I understand what you are implying here. Your last sentence in the above paragraph makes absolutely not sense, as it applies to nothing I said.
My dinging you about going into feeders was merely trying to say that things probably have changed since you were a PC driver. The sentence about "no wonder you went into feeders" was in response the impression you gave me that you thought staying on trace is more important than making service on packages. When BOTH are "work as directed" matters. Well, again lately, staying on trace may not be a "work as directed "matter.

Again, I point out the title of this thread, "Anybody else get paid...". The question originally was about winning grievances on this 9.5 issue. I say, go for it but don't expect miracles. You ever been in these hearings where the company nitpiks about every little nuance of your job? I'm sure you have. So have I! I know what they're capable of. That's why I say, "Give SERVICE all you want, skip your lunch, go off trace, run across the yards, jumb off the docks, sign the DIAD yourself, do everything it takes to make SERVICE but don't file a grievance on your lunch, breaking your leg stepping in a resi gopher hole, sprain your back jumping off a dock, etc.". AND, running off trace. You think you're gonna win? I hope you do, but I don't think so.
I guess we will see at some point in time.

I could go on and on about SERVICE, as you so keenly loved to throw out in this rebuttal. You talk about it taking more time to call dispatch than it does to actually MAKE service. I say, probably true. But what are the instructions?
My instructions everyday is to make service attempts on all packages. I have not heard a PCM on staying on trace in years. if ever.
You go off trace to make service a couple miles away. What happens if you have an accident? How is the company gonna stand behind you on THIS one? No verbal answer needed here, I already know.
I'll give an answer anyway. If I have a reason for being where I am, when I am there, the company should stand behind me. But we all know that if I have an accident, it aint gonna be pretty in any case.

Lastly, I DO NOT condone sacrificing SERVICE just to win grievances. BUT, by golly, you file a grievance on an issue, you better be able to back it up! OR be prepared to lose. Notice, now, (and I can see you blasting me here along with others), I said BE PREPARED to lose. Maybe you'll win but in cases I have seen here, you make ONE misstep, you WILL lose.
I do understand what you are saying.

Again, thanks for the kind words and will look forward to the next issue of, "Let's Make RACEANONCR look like an idiot"!
I never tried to make you or anyone else look like an idiot, in fact I don't think I made you look like an idiot. If indeed you looked like an idiot, it was your own doing, not mine.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I am working as directed, I get in my truck,at start time, try to find stuff and deliver it all. There is no trace, and no pas, as no one can tell me how to best run the diarhea they throw in. If someone can come out and show me how to run it better, jump in. I would buy lunch. I am a b car that is a junk car. I am in a 1000 and if it fits, Im expected to do it. I do, It may not be pretty, but its done. Got 10.5 tonite, and this week I file, Im not doing this all summer. And if I have to I will call it hazard pay. My work is on a car that isnt in my loop, and my loop partner goes 15 miles to the opposite end of town. The car with my work gets 10 and runs 2 hrs early. Love the guy, but if he wants the OT, he can deliver the crap that doesnt belong on my car. I want my work back. I do not know how to make this happen, Ive tried talking, no one wants to listen. If the dispatch sup thinks I need "more work" instead of using charts, he tells the loader to give me the 0-300 work, and he throws it on four different shelves. 1000 numbers apart in sequence. miles apart. No one wants to file, I dont want to file, but Im getting the crap because I dont speak up. I just want to do a fair day and go home. If I have 10 I have never cared, but I think it should be divided equally, and it isnt. Its a case of "we will do it til she gets all fired up". Then we will screw someone else for a while.

outta hours

Tooner it was told to me directly by my center manager that the work is dispatched and leveled per the driver not the area. He said that it was "just good business to load up the horses that will run". I am sure you work safely and probably harder than most and the second part of that is what is getting you more work. I would encourage you to file 9.5 every chance you can, that way it is documented that you will not allow yourself to be taken advantage of by them. They signed and agreed to the language in the contract just like we did. Time away from this place is too valuable not to fight for it. Three or more over 9.5's worked per week equals a grievance. Wait until the following Monday to file it add up everyday you worked over 9.5 multiply the hrs.X 1 1/2 your hourly rate and put the total on the grievance for penalty pay. And don't forget to add any comments made to you by them on the 2nd sheet for your BA to review with the labor mgr. It may take a while as it did for me but the work will come off and you can enjoy your evenings at home again.

gumbybros

Don't know if it's true, but I've heard that the company wants to renegotiate the 9.5 language. Supposedly, they say it's so confusing nobody can agree on what is meant, and they won't be bound by it as it is written. Obviously, from some of the prior posts, they are still paying out on it. Maybe it's a district thing. Maybe it's just plain b.s. Our opt out list was never posted, and when I pushed it, the center mgr said the company and union are working together on the "proper form" to post. The union business agent backed them up and said that was correct. Seems to me that it shouldn't be that difficult to do, so something must be up. The contract says you can file for double pay if they "CONTINUALLY" cause you to work over 9.5 hrs. more that 2 times in a week. Does anyone win a grievance if it happens a week here, a week there?

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I hate to have to do this. I do not like to cause havoc. I wouldnt even care if someone would listen, but they just blow me off, and someone else has a lesser problem and comes and bends an ear when I am trying to discuss like a professional what the problem is. They know Im soft and easy, we will fix it tomorrow yada yada. here I am stressing and I dont want to. There has just been so much gunfire, and killings in the last four days, I just really dont want to be there. I dont want to die at work. I know its going to get worse this summer, heck in the last four days. I never bid on a route that had this work, I never would have. It just got stuck on me, they move one section, then 2, then three, now four every darn day. And take nothing off. I did nothing, nothing but commercial til 4, then I hurried and slung pkgs, for the ghetto, and barely got to my pickups. Im not going there after 5. People are getting shot at 10 am every darn day. What happens when I bring the work back? I dont care. I have asked what the protocol is for these dangerous areas, duh, no answer, except yes its bad and getting worse. Im thinking a letter to corporate? dont want to but will. Ive done it before and got results on other issues, better than a grievance, as it isnt about money, its about safety. Yes I know DOK, hazardous mats, yada yada, how will that save me from a bullet? Got all the safety people there for a week, maybe I should get there early and ask about real safety concerns since no one else will listen. Excuse my rant, I feel better now:biting:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Tooner, considering the circumstances I think you have every right to rant and be scared too. I would. Along with what you said I would add that maybe you should call the 800#. It is to bad that anyone should have to work in those types of situations, but I would start playing the seniority card and do whatever it takes to get out of that area. I would be screaming at the top of my lungs to get out of there. I pray for a satisfactory end to this, good luck.

DS

Fenderbender
tooner,Ihope you do send off a letter to corporate,because we dont want you to die.
Its funny what you said about the junk car.if I'm heavy I give 10-15 resis to the guy 2 cars down,and I feel guilty because he has all the crap stops,like walmart, home depot, business depot, etc...and my car only has 160 pkgs in it,but he is usually back before me,and complains more than me.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
If anyone thinks Im exagerating, just go to www.wfmj.com. every shooting and robbery is on the area, they keep giving me. I tried to copy and paste but it would not work.

Thanks for the advice, but I already know something has to change, It is not worth 28 bucks an hour. Ill work my arse off, but this isnt right for any employee with any seniority, to have to handle when mgmt doesnt live here and doesnt have a clue.

If anyone thinks Im exagerating, just go to www.wfmj.com. every shooting and robbery is on the area, they keep giving me. I tried to copy and paste but it would not work.

Thanks for the advice, but I already know something has to change, It is not worth 28 bucks an hour. Ill work my arse off, but this isnt right for any employee with any seniority, to have to handle when mgmt doesnt live here and doesnt have a clue.
It's workin.

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
Tooner & friends: Youngstown Police Search for Sunday Shooting Suspect
Youngstown police are now investigating this weekend's shooting on the city's south side as a homicide.
Eighteen-year-old Terrell Roland of East Avondale was rushed to St. Elizabeth's Hospital Sunday after he was found unconscious in his driveway and shot twice in the stomach.
He was pronounced dead earlier this morning. A witness told police he saw the suspect shoot the victim and then speed off in a black four door buick regal.

Police Investigate Youngstown Shooting
Another shooting in Youngstown - this one in the middle of the day on Hilton Avenue, near Cottage Grove. Police say a man was taken to Saint Elizabeth hospital in critical condition after being shot several times. Investigators say two men in a blue Chevy Cobalt opened fire on him as he was driving. More than 20 bullets and shell casings were found in the street, and police say the victim's car was struck at least 16 times. Although police would not release the victim's name, they do tell us they're familiar with him. He was shot at last summer in this same neighborhood.

How can management ignore these Safety Issues??

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
All my area, now.
I was told for safety I could call 911, geez why didnt I think of that? And then call the center.
And I can put my route up for bid and go swinging again. Which doesnt eliminate the problem, someone has to be there.
But I was told that was the answer from the head of safety.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Another safety issue ignored. Safety first. I can't imagine working in some of these areas. My kid goes to college in Milwaukee and we fear for her safety. It's the urban jungle. It's only going to get worse as the economy weakens and more low end labor goes overseas.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
And as the weather gets warmer.
Hot summer nights in the hood, the smell of gunfire in the air, MMMMMMMM.
Safety a big joke.
I hope, and I know they wont ever ask me to attend a safety meeting again.
Ill be fine. Im hood trained now.
I just fear for others as it gets worse, and worse.
Make sure your daughter is street smart, Im sure you have taught her.
They are going to institute zero tolerance program again, and a new program called cease fire. Later this month for a few days, duh.

DS

Fenderbender
Tooner,its only a matter of time till some creep with a gun decides your truck has something in it he wants.YOU should have a gun.