Never Paid for Vacation

bnb828

He's been working more than a year, but has his one year anniversary passed. Someone being hired during the "free" period of summer could have a seniority date that falls after August 30th. Does his pay stub reflect vacation hours? Did he select vacation last fall or was something done by management earlier this year?
So , he started last June 2022 and after he qualified they let him know next year he’d have his 1 week paid vacation and to pick his dates, which he did and all was approved. His time card shows vacation “prepaid” on all of those days off he took. Union rep said he was suppose to get paid on a previous paycheck 2 weeks ago but we looked back at paystubs and never received that. He went in today and him and his stewerd filed the grievance. Now my #1 question is how long the process takes to get that paid vacation check since they :censored2: it up?

Up In Smoke

So , he started last June 2022 and after he qualified they let him know next year he’d have his 1 week paid vacation and to pick his dates, which he did and all was approved. His time card shows vacation “prepaid” on all of those days off he took. Union rep said he was suppose to get paid on a previous paycheck 2 weeks ago but we looked back at paystubs and never received that. He went in today and him and his stewerd filed the grievance. Now my #1 question is how long the process takes to get that paid vacation check since they :censored2: it up?
The company has until his first day of vacation to pay him. If they fail, then it's between the Center Manager and payroll to get it approved. Every pay period that passes carries a 4hr penalty. It sounds like his vacation hasn't started yet.

bnb828

The company has until his first day of vacation to pay him. If they fail, then it's between the Center Manager and payroll to get it approved. Every pay period that passes carries a 4hr penalty. It sounds like his vacation hasn't started yet.
Vacation week was 7/10-7/16 pay period.

Up In Smoke

If he started in June, there's a possibility he hasn't had a year of seniority yet. Most likely his seniority date is late July or early August. The company doesn't pay out vacation checks until an employee has a full year of seniority.

shalang

Sorry to have offended anyone. Husband doesn’t even know I’m on here. I am just extra and like to have everything in order and like to be in the know and on top of things. I probably didn’t word my OP correctly. Husband said shop steward was present and that he helped file. I’m just curious about the time frame bc my husband isn’t going to ask these questions so I thought I could get advice for the old timers on here. 🤷🏻‍♀️
The union is only as strong as your husband. Motivate him to be vocal about his issues. His issues affect your issues. We are only as strong as out weakest link.

Encourage him to be active and get involved. These issues will cease to exist once the company knows how serious he is about his rights. If they see he isn't or find out his wife takes care of his issues (we have a few here where their wives call out sick for them, set up their direct deposits, etc.) they will perpetually be seen as a push over and taken advantage of.

Its good you're taking a proactive approach and you shouldn't stop. But your husband needs to do his role as well.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Oof sorry to get you in a tizzy. Husband didn’t have me do anything…He probably doesn’t even know brown cafe is a thing. I thought I’d get some genuine advice. I am more on top of this kind of thing bc it’s my personality. Another genuine question: Is there a “no wives allowed” rule on this site? If so, my bad
As a woman who was a driver here, they are pretty tough on wives of husbands who need help. Its not hard to get on BC and ask for yourself. I certainly would not have liked my husband coming on here, and asking a question. There is no possible way you could know whats been said and done on his behalf. And if you think these guys are tough........ rest assured if you would call the center, he is doomed.

Hes has been at UPS one year, he needs to prepare because its a tough place to work, and you have to have really thick skin, like hippo skin, to survive.
I do understand your concern, possibly you have more time than he does, to ask these questions. or maybe you are just trying to be helpful. Or maybe you want him to get his dang paycheck. But as someone else says if the steward isnt getting it done, he needs to go to the Business agent.
I had to do it for funeral pay. I couldnt believe they were so insensitive....they are. They do not care, its all about the money, and not yours.

bnb828

Thanks for your input! I can understand all of that. And I know it may seem I’m meddling but ain’t no way I’d call that center trying to get answers lol. I’m extra but not like that. I truly was in the dark with how brown cafe worked. I just wanted to see what’s up and yes, to be helpful. He’s solid and does a great job. And as I said in replies above, he did get his shop steward on it and it’s being worked out. I jumped the gun posting on BC to get some clarity for myself and learned even more than what I was going for 🤣 that’s okay though! 🙏🏼

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Thanks for your input! I can understand all of that. And I know it may seem I’m meddling but ain’t no way I’d call that center trying to get answers lol. I’m extra but not like that. I truly was in the dark with how brown cafe worked. I just wanted to see what’s up and yes, to be helpful. He’s solid and does a great job. And as I said in replies above, he did get his shop steward on it and it’s being worked out. I jumped the gun posting on BC to get some clarity for myself and learned even more than what I was going for 🤣 that’s okay though! 🙏🏼
You just want to get paid…we get it. There are many payroll issues here so I’d suggest you guys keep a record of what he works every day and make sure it matches the weekly paycheck. Mrs. Cold and my aunt carol keep a very close eye on the money coming in… nothing wrong with that!

Brownsocks

Just a dog
BudLight on me.

Brownsocks

Just a dog
You just want to get paid…we get it. There are many payroll issues here so I’d suggest you guys keep a record of what he works every day and make sure it matches the weekly paycheck. Mrs. Cold and my aunt carol keep a very close eye on the money coming in… nothing wrong with that!
Excellent advice. The Teamsters app has a payroll calculator that you can use to keep track.
Make sure he pays attention to his pay codes when he gets done before 8 hours.