anyone get to ride with a security guard??

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Sat/Sober, I believe I will stay right here in good ol' Upstate NY, where I can go to work and, if I forgot to lock my door, oh well, no big deal.

Perhaps I am naive or sheltered or whatever you want to call it but I most certainly do not see the need to pack heat.

Sober, you made a point which I would like to counter. You said that the best way to deter violent crimes is to arm potential victims. I would counter that you would simply escalate the situation from a robbery to a fatality, most likely that of the victim.

I should have prefaced this by saying that I have experienced murder in my family (and I will not discuss this beyond this statement) thus the strong anti-gun stance. I was military and endured the annual firearms training and actually received the marksmanship award.

If I were a business owner I would not allow anyone, whether it be a customer or a UPS driver, in to my place of business if they were carrying a weapon, whether concealed or not.

While you are at it Upstate, post a really big sign on the front door that says "NO FIREARMS ALLOWED". That's keep everyone safe and sound.

brownrodster

Do you have a carry permit? I am fortunate enough to live in a "shall issue" state so all it took for me to get my permit was an 8 hr class and an FBI criminal background check. It would be nice if UPS allowed those of us who went to the effort of getting certified to carry on the job. Unfortunately, I doubt that will ever happen.

Wow, in my state all I did was fill out some paperwork and get a background check. No class. But they gave me some pamphlets.

Fortunately there is no need to pack where I live. I could go to work and leave me front door open and come home and everything would still be here...

Even though I have a 'concealed pistol license,' I've never concealed a pistol unless I'm going out into the woods to shoot.

feeder53

ADKtrails
I have a full carry NYS permit, but to have everyone carry is more than just the ability to carry a weapon, There is a great number of training courses that need to be completed to be able to discharge a firearm in a city, village or anywhere where someone else may be injured if the weopon is discharged. The liability alone is unreal. What if someone comes up to you and shows a weapon and askes you for all your valuables and you pull out your 44 and let one fly down range.......it goes through the thug, and the lady that just left Dunkin Donuts and the guy that just crossed the street....There are rules of engagement even in war.......At my home, that is different. I choose my battles very carefully..

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Sober, you made a point which I would like to counter. You said that the best way to deter violent crimes is to arm potential victims. I would counter that you would simply escalate the situation from a robbery to a fatality, most likely that of the victim.
In other words, you feel it is "safer" for the victim to be on their knees begging for their life without the means to fight back?
I'm not going to shoot anyone over the $40 in my wallet. My first choice would be to give them what they want and hope that the situation doesnt escalate beyond that. But if it does...at least I have a fighting chance.

satellitedriver

Sat/Sober, I believe I will stay right here in good ol' Upstate NY, where I can go to work and, if I forgot to lock my door, oh well, no big deal.

Perhaps I am naive or sheltered or whatever you want to call it but I most certainly do not see the need to pack heat.

I should have prefaced this by saying that I have experienced murder in my family (and I will not discuss this beyond this statement) thus the strong anti-gun stance. I was military and endured the annual firearms training and actually received the marksmanship award.

If I were a business owner I would not allow anyone, whether it be a customer or a UPS driver, in to my place of business if they were carrying a weapon, whether concealed or not.

Upstate,
I was talking of where I have to deliver to, not my home.
My doors are never locked at home.
No one should carry that is not fully trained.
When I pull up to a home and the first thing I see is a pistol barrel peeking through the window shade, I sometimes wish I had more than the knives I carry.
I am trained and I know how to defuse a bad situation through body/verbal language.
It is the sheer fact that I can be licensed to carry by the State and Federal laws, but UPS can (and does) send me into potential life threating conditions ,with the caveat that I can not carry anything to defend myself.
Albeit, you have seen murder in your family, I have lived with that fact, also.
Just ask the wife of a Palestine, Texas driver who was gunned down over a pair of tennis shoes.
Or, better yet, ask his two sons why Daddy isn't ever going to come home again.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I think we should be encouraged to carry to defend ourselves. We arent even suppose to carry mace. How ludicrous.

dirty moose

In our center the guy who does a pickup from a watch co. has a security guard follow him back to the center

There is also a route like this in my center, guard follows him from time of p/u till he finishes the route.

I have herd of routes that either have armed guards follow or ride with drivers. There are deff route in Brooklyn that require armed guards.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Well, all of you gun advocates received a big boost from the Supreme Court Thursday when that body affirmed the right for people to keep guns in their homes for self defense and addressing the principle of the right to keep and bear arms

May God have mercy on our souls.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Well, all of you gun advocates received a big boost from the Supreme Court Thursday when that body affirmed the right for people to keep guns in their homes for self defense and addressing the principle of the right to keep and bear arms

May God have mercy on our souls.
If no one is trying to break into my house then they have nothing to worry about. If someone tries to break in then I have the right to protect myself.

ikoi62

If no one is trying to break into my house then they have nothing to worry about. If someone tries to break in then I have the right to protect myself.

If your breaking into my house you deserve what you get.
the Supreme Court got it right this time.

soberups

An armed society is a polite society. The country with one of the lowest rates of violent crime---Switzerland---has one of the highest rates of private gun ownership in the world.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

An armed society is a polite society. The country with one of the lowest rates of violent crime---Switzerland---has one of the highest rates of private gun ownership in the world.

Really? You wouldn't be skewing statistics to fit your agenda, now, would you? Seriously, I did not know that and I thank you for bringing it to our attention as I would be that there are others that also did not know that.

soberups

Really? You wouldn't be skewing statistics to fit your agenda, now, would you? Seriously, I did not know that and I thank you for bringing it to our attention as I would be that there are others that also did not know that.
I'm not skewing statistics, nor do I have an agenda. Google "Switzerland gun laws" if you doubt it. Another interesting factoid about Switzerland is that virtually every adult male is a member of their equivalent of the national guard, and as such he is allowed to keep a semi-automatic assault rifle and ammo for it at home. Yes, at home. Most Swiss homes have one of those evil, scary assault rifles inside. They also have a very low rate of home invasions, car jackings and overall violent crime. I wonder why?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I spent a year in Sicily (1983-84) while in the Air Force and can recall flying in to Rome and all of the Polizia carried Uzies and were not shy about letting you know that they carried them.

UPS Lifer

The "security" guards we have here are unarmed and making minimum wage. I wouldnt want them to guard anything of importance.
UPS wouldnt need to hire security if they allowed employees with concealed weapons permits to carry while working. The first time a would-be criminal got shot trying to hijack a UPS truck, the word would get out.

Ahh! YES! This has worked well for Armored Carriers such as Loomis and Wells Fargo! They carry shotguns and still get shot up!!!

Once the word got around.....
As soon as the criminals knew you carried a weapon, you would have a big target on your back. UPS drivers would become the trophy's of the gang and criminal population!

Tell me, is it really that far fetched?? !!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Does anyone else remember that white truck driver who, for whatever reason, decided to try his luck and drove down one of the streets which was within the riot area in LA? They pulled him out of the cab, beat the crap out of him (with the fire extinguisher from his vehicle) and laughed the whole time they were doing it. I believe his name was Reginald Denny. Sober, just curious, what good would have a gun done him in that situation? It would have gotten him killed that much quicker.

Does anyone else remember that white truck driver who, for whatever reason, decided to try his luck and drove down one of the streets which was within the riot area in LA? They pulled him out of the cab, beat the crap out of him (with the fire extinguisher from his vehicle) and laughed the whole time they were doing it. I believe his name was Reginald Denny. Sober, just curious, what good would have a gun done him in that situation? It would have gotten him killed that much quicker.
Maybe, maybe not.