Anyone here anything about layoffs??

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
I see about 1 DHL guy in a minivan for every 10 UPS drivers. I rarely even notice a DHL pickup. I doubt any volume we would gain from them would add routes

that might be true where you are. 1 in 10. that would make it 10%.

here, there are a ton of dhl drivers.

something that will hurt us is the ability to take samples from labs that dhl currently handles. last i heard, ups will not take samples?

i know that several of the companies that my wife works with only use dhl. much more accomadating to their schedule.

not like ups where we make the delivery and pick up when we damn well please, and the customers schedule is given second place in planing routes.

one more thing. in our center of about 100 delivery drivers, there are about 40% that were planning to retire in the next 3 years. 10-13 in 2009. 9 have already said they will not retire because of the losses to the 401K's, finacncial unrest/concern etc. this means that part timers that could go full time will have to wait even longer, and drivers that would have stayed in delivery will be kicked back to working split shifts.

the change as been all due to what has happened in the last 2 months.

all these things will have a trickle down effect

d

pretzel_man

Danny,

As you said, everything has a trickle down effect.

We need to agressively go after DHL volume. I assure you that FedEx is.

You mention pharmaceuticals. I think that is very true.

Customers want more than the services we offer today. These products are harder to serve than what we've done in the past. That's why we see so many special offerings.

If someone is here from the product group, they can probably verify what you say about the need to service the health care industry.

Again, as you say everything trickles down. Jim Casey preached over and over again the need to grow.

It was true in his day and its true today. Volume equals jobs.

Right now, volume is down 7%. That's a decline I've never heard in my 33 years.

The demise of DHL is our chance to reduce some of the impacts.

P-Man

that might be true where you are. 1 in 10. that would make it 10%.

here, there are a ton of dhl drivers.

something that will hurt us is the ability to take samples from labs that dhl currently handles. last i heard, ups will not take samples?

i know that several of the companies that my wife works with only use dhl. much more accomadating to their schedule.

not like ups where we make the delivery and pick up when we damn well please, and the customers schedule is given second place in planing routes.

one more thing. in our center of about 100 delivery drivers, there are about 40% that were planning to retire in the next 3 years. 10-13 in 2009. 9 have already said they will not retire because of the losses to the 401K's, finacncial unrest/concern etc. this means that part timers that could go full time will have to wait even longer, and drivers that would have stayed in delivery will be kicked back to working split shifts.

the change as been all due to what has happened in the last 2 months.

all these things will have a trickle down effect

d

pretzel_man

If every single US DHL customer signed up with us tomorrow, UPS would still be down in volume.

DHL sinking is not UPS's salvation.

Good point and accurate. Its a way to reduce the bad situation.

I'm certain that FedEx is going after that volume agressively.

It won't save them either.

I'd rather have it serviced by UPS and its union employees than non-union FedEx. Wouldn't you?

P-Man

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen

I'd rather have it serviced by UPS and its union employees than non-union FedEx. Wouldn't you?

P-Man

Of course.

It's just that I've seen posted here so many times, "With DHL customers coming our way, all will be well" There is a reason DHL is leaving the scene - and it is NOT because they have many, hi-paying, quality customers.

pretzel_man

DHL only had 7% of the ground and air combined in the US. How many pkgs is that for UPS and FEDEX to go after?

From the Associated Press:

"Currently, the company's total air volume for shipments from points between U.S. and international destinations and between points within the U.S. is about 1.2 million shipments a day. Deutsche Post said that figure will drop to about 100,000 shipments a day after the changes go through. The air volume figures do not include packages that do not start or end in the U.S."

The way I read it, there are 1.1 million packages to go after. Last time I looked, roughly 75 packages equaled 1 Teamster job.

As was mentioned, this is not the answer to the problem but certainly helps.

P-Man

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
Not being argumentative with you on purpose, here - this response would have been the same to anyone. You wrote

.. This is volume, which translates in to revenue, which will hopefully translate in to reduced or no layoffs. This is not the time to be selective.

"Gross revenues does not equal profit" "There is plenty of work out there if you want to do it for nothing" "It is not what you earn, it is what you keep" "Sure we lose money on each piece delivered, but we will make it up in volume"

Each of these runs thru my head when I read about DHL going out, UPS benefiting from it.

DHL customers are (were?) with DHL because they provided a service/service level that UPS will not/can not perform. They used DHL because they were cheaper. There ARE reasons they are not with UPS.

If it was profitable, DHL would not be going out. The customers are those that UPS COULD NOT or WOULD NOT accomodate in the past.

I have no experience with DHL in the US, but DHL International bends over backwards for customers on the pacific rim - service that UPS does for no-one.

pretzel_man

Must be using that same broken calculator that are ie department uses!

Not a broken calculator. I use a more sophisticated device. I think its called a dart board.

So, how many packages equal a job? I wasn't the one who coined this. It goes back to Jim Casey's day. Packages equals Jobs.

Plug in your own number for how many it takes to make a job.

P-Man

satellitedriver

Not being argumentative with you on purpose, here - this response would have been the same to anyone. You wrote

"Gross revenues does not equal profit"
Exactly
DHL customers are (were?) with DHL because they provided a service/service level that UPS will not/can not perform.
UPS could provide that service, but not at a loss, as DHL tried.
They used DHL because they were cheaper.
DHL bought bales of hay for $1 a piece and sold them for .99 cents and expected to make profit on volume.

If it was profitable, DHL would not be going out.
If DHL ran their business with profit per piece, instead of volume, they might have been able to stick around.

I have no experience with DHL in the US, but DHL International bends over backwards for customers on the pacific rim - service that UPS does for no-one.
In my mind, the customers will still need to ship their product. They need to make a profit to stay in business and so they should expect their life support of shipping to be able to do the same.
Service is key, but UPS is not a charity.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Not a broken calculator. I use a more sophisticated device. I think its called a dart board.

So, how many packages equal a job? I wasn't the one who coined this. It goes back to Jim Casey's day. Packages equals Jobs.

Plug in your own number for how many it takes to make a job.

P-Man
Back in Csaey's day you might be right, but now we have alot of customers who receive and ship more than 75 pcs a day.

Packages do equal jobs, however routes are created by stops. While our volume is down, stops seem to be up. It takes the same time to deliver 1 piece to a stop than it would take to deliver 3 or 4 pieces.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
bbag made a good point.

there are a lot of things ups would not even think about doing for customers in the past. things like carry lab samples to collection sites. they were just not interested in the volume for what ever reason.

dhl was not just a cheap carrier, they offered to swing by later in the day than most to get the maximum number of packages each day. their customer counter stays open until 8:30, while ours is only open from 1-5:30. fedex btw is also open till 8:30.

bbag was wrong though when he said
There is a reason DHL is leaving the scene - and it is NOT because they have many, hi-paying, quality customers
the customer is a quality customer, its that we do not have the ability to meet their needs, or refuse to pay attention to what those needs are. some times when you get too big, it happens. but the customer is a quality customer, always.

d

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
bbag made a good point.

there are a lot of things ups would not even think about doing for customers in the past. things like carry lab samples to collection sites. they were just not interested in the volume for what ever reason.

dhl was not just a cheap carrier, they offered to swing by later in the day than most to get the maximum number of packages each day. their customer counter stays open until 8:30, while ours is only open from 1-5:30. fedex btw is also open till 8:30.

bbag was wrong though when he saidthe customer is a quality customer, its that we do not have the ability to meet their needs, or refuse to pay attention to what those needs are. some times when you get too big, it happens. but the customer is a quality customer, always.

d

I didn't phrase it correctly - I should have said a customer that we are unable to service as they require.

outamyway

P-Man

There is a problem with that question. You are asking it at a place where the union is well liked and appreciated. There are people out there who don't like, even despise organized labor. I'm not going to go into details.

I seriously doubt most big shippers and the few every one in a while shippers give a rats ass about whether it's a union or non union company they are using. They care about the rates and service quality.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
What are you guys talking about, not doing lab P/U's. We have 3 acct's here that I can think of off the top of my head that are lab samples. All NDA acct's. 2 are daily p/u and 1 is on call.

And LI804, it's STEWARD not stewart!!!!!!!!