Are They Worried?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
FedEx seems to be going to extraordinary lengths this year to "remind" us how good they've been to employees. But are they worried? A preliminary "Employee Loyalty" survey went out about 2 months ago, and most employees I know that got one didn't even bother with it. I wonder how "total apathy" registers with MEM?

Realistically though, what have they got to worry about other than an increased number of lawsuits? The union is a non-issue right now, but perhaps a backlash against the never-ending productivity push has them concerned. As others have pointed-out, they've already cut to the bone, and all it takes is a couple of sick calls to throw an entire operation into chaos.

A lot of couriers are really tired of being pushed to the maximum every day. Managment collapses routes at-will, and OSS is more than happy to expand route boundaries. Most of the couriers I know are sick of driving too fast and being pestered about gap times when they slow-down and drive safely.

Sooner or later, someone is going to be able to prove in court that FedEx knowingly sends couriers on the road every day with an unsafe amount of work. It's planned that way. Hopefully, it won't take someone T-boning a school bus to draw attention to this problem, but the totaled vehicles are stacking-up behind certain stations.

One accident that was brought to my attention involved a distracted courier who ran a rural intersection with their W700 and critically injured an innocent motorist. I was told that the courier in question was about 30 stops over and that weather conditions weren't very good at the time. Others have been brought to my attention, from all over the country. "Be safe, but don't have any lates, get your full break, and don't work off the clock". Yeah, sure.

Word is spreading about these multiple abuses of employees, and the corporate PR hype doesn't seem to be working any more. But are they worried enough to make some changes? My take is that they'll continue to push us until there is a landmark incident and resultant lawsuit that bring public criticism and calls to investigate FedEx for their safety lapses and dangerous work conditions. I think it's going to happen..soon.

If you know of any distracted driving accidents or accidents due to overloading couriers, please let me know so I can track them. At some point, they'll be submitted to the proper government agency when the above scenario takes place.

I think the wheels are coming off the bus, and that FedEx is worried that the public will soon know what is really going-on behind the scenes.

vantexan

It would have to be something along the lines of Dominoe's Pizza years ago. Remember the 30 min delivery or it's free guarantee? Caused alot of fatal accidents and lawsuits. Beyond that the public thinks we're making big money delivering letters. What FedEx truly worries about is disgruntled employees spooking Wall Street. The stock price is job 1 at this company. But make no mistake, if there were a rash of fatal accidents that led a reporter to put out an article slamming FedEx in the NY Times, you bet they'd be in full panic mode. Even more so if the Wall Street Journal agreed that FedEx was putting the public at risk.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
It would have to be something along the lines of Dominoe's Pizza years ago. Remember the 30 min delivery or it's free guarantee? Caused alot of fatal accidents and lawsuits. Beyond that the public thinks we're making big money delivering letters. What FedEx truly worries about is disgruntled employees spooking Wall Street. The stock price is job 1 at this company. But make no mistake, if there were a rash of fatal accidents that led a reporter to put out an article slamming FedEx in the NY Times, you bet they'd be in full panic mode. Even more so if the Wall Street Journal agreed that FedEx was putting the public at risk.

I really feel that it's just around the corner (The Domino's Moment). I'd be willing to bet that there are enough accidents now for the press to bring that fact to life. The icing on the cake would be the public realization that FedEx is not a good place to work, and that it's public image is completely fake.

vantexan

I really feel that it's just around the corner (The Domino's Moment). I'd be willing to bet that there are enough accidents now for the press to bring that fact to life. The icing on the cake would be the public realization that FedEx is not a good place to work, and that it's public image is completely fake.

What would be huge would be if a plane went down(hopefully never) and caused alot of death on the ground. Then some pilots make critical statements to the press about FedEx policies. They're respected professionals after all. Then savvy reporters notice all the lawsuits, interview couriers, report on driving accidents. FedEx would take a huge hit, and most likely couriers would get hammered again on payraises. I doubt much of anything would lead to better pay and benefits for us. Might get them philosophic about layoffs.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
What would be huge would be if a plane went down(hopefully never) and caused alot of death on the ground. Then some pilots make critical statements to the press about FedEx policies. They're respected professionals after all. Then savvy reporters notice all the lawsuits, interview couriers, report on driving accidents. FedEx would take a huge hit, and most likely couriers would get hammered again on payraises. I doubt much of anything would lead to better pay and benefits for us. Might get them philosophic about layoffs.

I don't want anything major to happen either, but I do think that the writing is on the wall for a high-profile incident. My guess is that this is absolutely the only way FedEx would take the steps necessary to be a safe operation. With the exception of the MD-11, the airline portion of the company seems well-run. They invest heavily in training, newer equipment is arriving, and the emphasis on safety is continous. The same cannot be said of the delivery end of the company, which is vastly larger than our relative handful of pilots and planes. Our equipment is junk, the training is minimal, and safety is most definitely secondary to production.

LTFedExer

One accident that was brought to my attention involved a distracted courier who ran a rural intersection with their W700 and critically injured an innocent motorist. I was told that the courier in question was about 30 stops over and that weather conditions weren't very good at the time. Others have been brought to my attention, from all over the country. "Be safe, but don't have any lates, get your full break, and don't work off the clock". Yeah, sure.
Without knowing the details (was he driving to fast, etc) I'll just say I don't feel sorry for the courier. 30 stops over or not, the weather alone should have made him slow down.
Pilots NEVER go over their hours. We had a plane run low on fuel because it was dangerous to land here. They were diverted to another airport. Because of the circling, diversion, wait and refuel....they ran out of hours. They had to fly another crew in form Memphis to fly the plane to us.

vantexan

Pilots NEVER go over their hours. We had a plane run low on fuel because it was dangerous to land here. They were diverted to another airport. Because of the circling, diversion, wait and refuel....they ran out of hours. They had to fly another crew in form Memphis to fly the plane to us.

That's happened to us too, get alot of fog in winter at our ramp. Just saying it'll probably take something horrible to get the kind of scrutiny that could be embarrassing for FedEx.

You know, the press is supposed to be liberal, it's surprising no one has compared the differences that FedEx employees experience at a non-union company compared to what UPS employees get.

CharleyHustle

Is there a FedEx driver (ground or air) that ever shuts off and secures the vehicle when making a delivery? The ground guy I see never does. Even at a High School where the delivery point is 300ft to the door and 1/2 way into the building, his truck is running with the bulkhead open. When a bunch of teenagers die after a joy ride in a FedEx truck, the poop will hit the fan.

snackdad

I wish no harm on any FedEx Employee or Customer in any way. An event that would highlight problems at FedEx I hope would come without anyone being a physical victim. However FedEx has left many many victims in it's path of pursuing profit and an attractive share performance for investors. Without investors FedEx would slow and that is where the real damage to FedEx can occur. Unfortunately FedEx only sees things in a dollar and cents view and more and more does not see the impact their decisions have on the people side of it.
Several years ago when FedEx had a rash of lawsuits they calmed investors by saying "don't worry we just hired a bunch of attorneys to handle the lawsuits". Talk about backward thinking. Maybe if the company took the time to avoid the events that create the lawsuits it would be money better spent. I think the company only reacts to things purely from a profit and image point of view.
We have discussed many times on here that FedEx knowingly ignores claims of Falsification and Break Violations. This is to their huge advantage. If it takes settling a lawsuit here and there for 350k, 600k, 800K, etc. than that is a bargain compared to what they are getting in free labor and forced productivity. It is only when the costs of settling all these suits and penalties from state and federal labor organizations, along with bad publicity will FedEx take notice and do something about. It is all math and it is all big business.
I for one am adding my name to the list of people suing FedEx for intimidation, falsification, labor code violations, and retaliation. When enough people stand up to the bullying tactics of management, the lying and cheating that is done everyday by management we will start to make a difference. Rattle the cage, make your voice heard and stand strong for what is right and fair and safe and we can all start to make a difference....I Hope....

bbsam

Staff member
How 'bout if Fred S went on TV and blue monkeys flew out of his butt? I bet that would get the public's attention!:happy2:

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Is there a FedEx driver (ground or air) that ever shuts off and secures the vehicle when making a delivery? The ground guy I see never does. Even at a High School where the delivery point is 300ft to the door and 1/2 way into the building, his truck is running with the bulkhead open. When a bunch of teenagers die after a joy ride in a FedEx truck, the poop will hit the fan.

At Express, it's supposed to be an immediate termination, and I've seen quite a few people canned for it. Ground is a different story.

bbsam

Staff member
At Express, it's supposed to be an immediate termination, and I've seen quite a few people canned for it. Ground is a different story.

Maybe because Ground uses contractors that really are independent even though you keep saying it isn't so? And that the company's ability to do anything about it may not be worth the legal hassle?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Maybe because Ground uses contractors that really are independent even though you keep saying it isn't so? And that the company's ability to do anything about it may not be worth the legal hassle?

That could be the reason. I don't really know for sure.

CharleyHustle

I'm sure the parents of the dead teenagers will understand your point.

bbsam

Staff member
I'm sure the parents of the dead teenagers will understand your point.

I'm not making a point. I'm suggesting why enforcement of a policy is different under different business models. Nice pull on the emotions though on a completely fictional scenario.