Arizona's anti-imigration law...

Lue C Fur

Evil member
Currently, immigration offenses are violations of federal, not state, law, and local police officers only can inquire about a person's immigration status if that person is suspected of another crime. Under SB1070, however, Arizona police will have the right to stop anyone on "reasonable suspicion" that they may be an illegal immigrant and can arrest them if they are not carrying a valid driver's license or identity papers.
Awesome!!!!

Passions about illegal immigration run high in Arizona, a point of entry for thousands of undocumented workers going to the U.S. from Mexico, and tensions were heightened by the recent murder of a rancher in a remote border area where illegal crossings are rampant. With 6.6 million residents, Arizona's illegal-immigrant population is estimated to be half a million people. (See the great wall of America on the Mexico border.)

A half a freakin million!!!!

Both proponents and opponents of the law are vociferous. "This criminalizes undocumented status and turns dishwashers, janitors, landscapers and our neighbors into criminals," says Chris Newman, legal director of the National Day Laborer Organizing Network. "The bill constitutes a complete disregard for the rights of nonwhites in Arizona. It effectively mandates racial profiling." But state senator Russell Pearce, a Republican, says his bill "will not change a thing for lawful citizens. It simply takes the handcuffs off law enforcement and allows them to do their job. Our legal citizens have a constitutional right to expect protection of federal law against noncitizens. When those laws are not enforced, our citizens are denied equal protection." (Will a biometric Social Security card help the immigration crisis?)

Oh my...you mean the poor illegal will get deported...oh no!!!! We need to take care of them, feed them, give them clothes and a roof over their head and while we are at it we should give their kids a free education (of course we need special teachers that speak spanish) and free health care too. While we are at it lets add spanish to all our products so they dont need to learn english...oh wait we do that for them too.

All 35 Republicans in the lower Arizona house voted for the bill,(good job!!!) while 21 Democrats voted against it.(no way, are you kidding me???) The bill passed the state senate earlier. Law enforcement in the state is split over the legislation, with rank and file supporting the measure and the Association of Chiefs of Police in opposition, saying it could hinder investigations by making the immigrant community hesitant to speak with police. You mean speaking to cops that had to learn spanish to understand them...and im sure all of the illegals were comming forward to help solve crimes.

"Enough is enough," says state senator Pearce, speaking about the increased violence along the Arizona border with Mexico. "One family has been burglarized 18 times and a number of officers have been killed and maimed in the line of duty dealing with illegal immigrants who are criminals. Our message is very clear," says Pearce. "Illegal aliens should find another state besides Arizona to visit."

Thankyou senator Pearce for standing up and doing the right thing.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Sheriff Joe in Maricopa county enforces the letter of the law.......if he wasn't so old, he'd make a good president.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Under SB1070, however, Arizona police will have the right to stop anyone on "reasonable suspicion" that they may be an illegal immigrant and can arrest them if they are not carrying a valid driver's license or identity papers.
Awesome!!!!
You actually think it's a good thing that police can stop you if you "look foreign" and arrest you if you don't have a drivers licence or "identity papers" (*** are those anyway?) on your person at all times? You would have made a good little German citizen circa 1937. Me, I'm about to scratch Arizona off my list of nice places to retire. Kudos to any lawmaker who voted against this fascist BS.

Lue C Fur

Evil member
You actually think it's a good thing that police can stop you if you "look foreign" and arrest you if you don't have a drivers licence or "identity papers" (*** are those anyway?) on your person at all times? You would have made a good little German citizen circa 1937. Me, I'm about to scratch Arizona off my list of nice places to retire. Kudos to any lawmaker who voted against this fascist BS.

I knew it would get you Liberals all fired up. Remember though its "resonable suspicion" not "look foreign" and im sure the Liberal lawyers will have that defense every time we bust and illegal.

Looks like Arizona might become a good state to live now when i retire.:thumbsup:

brett636

I believe you are required to carry some form of identification incase you are stopped by police. All this does is allow the police to stop someone who they have reasonable cause to believe they are in this country illegally and have them deported. Sounds like a good law to me.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I believe you are required to carry some form of identification incase you are stopped by police. All this does is allow the police to stop someone who they have reasonable cause to believe they are in this country illegally and have them deported. Sounds like a good law to me.

Sounds like profiling to me.

tieguy

Banned

easy big boy don't forget you're a conservative now.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Not in this country. If you are driving a motor vehicle obviously you are required to have a driver's license, but otherwise there is no law that says a citizen must have his license or "identity papers" with him at all times. Some states do have statutes that require you to verbally identify yourself to the police if they ask you.

It's interesting to me that any time the idea of a required national ID card has been raised in the past it's been vigorously opposed by conservatives (and rightly so) on the grounds that it would be a violation of privacy that would lead a curtailment of civil liberties. But as soon as the state frames it differently, ie as a way to "round up undesirables and foreigners", it seems that some people really aren't so conservative after all :wink2:

moreluck

golden ticket member
I ALWAYS have my purse with me and a driver's license inside.......no problemo !! They're not asking illegals to do anything different than we do....carry ID to prove who you are.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Profiling doesn't mean BAD!! If your subjects, say like terrorists, are middle Eastern, then I say search & question all people who fit the profile. Common sense.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I ALWAYS have my purse with me and a driver's license inside.......no problemo !! They're not asking illegals to do anything different than we do....carry ID to prove who you are.
That's fine if you always have that stuff with you but it's your choice, it's not the law. And they're not asking illegals to do anything different, this law would require us to carry ID or risk being arrested for "looking foreign". Maybe you're fine with that, but I'm not. If illegal immigrants are the problem, why do we need a new law that places more restrictions on legal citizens?

tieguy

Banned
That's fine if you always have that stuff with you but it's your choice, it's not the law. And they're not asking illegals to do anything different, this law would require us to carry ID or risk being arrested for "looking foreign". Maybe you're fine with that, but I'm not. If illegal immigrants are the problem, why do we need a new law that places more restrictions on legal citizens?

9-11

Lue C Fur

Evil member
This law would have made no difference as the 9-11 attacks were not carried out by illegal immigrants, those guys were all in the country legally.

Yes the entered legally but did not check back in with the INS and some of them had expired visas at the time.,but i see your point there.