Arizona's anti-imigration law...

bigbrownhen

Ok, it took awhile for me to grasp the core of this legislation. It seems this "law" was already on the books at the federal level. In Arizona it is now letting the "local" law enforcement enforce what is already a federal law. The local law enforcement is more likely to interact with "illegals" in thier day to day duty, and not just by "profileing". In this situation, instead of just inquiring about thier citizenship status, now they can require proof. Before the law was passed, the "illegal" could just lie, and walk, nothing could be done. Now if they can't prove they are here legally, then they can be held until it can be proven they are here legally or not. If not, they are in violation of the federal law and sent back to where they came from, not treated inhumanely I would hope, just sent back home. In effect, the local law enforcement is assisting the federal law enforcement.

I would imagine it will create more volatile encounters with illegals and law enforcement is inevitable, but in the long run, this may force more to come here legally, with proper paperwork. I don't know what it takes to accomplish this, or how long, I just imagine it takes years and knowhow. Perhaps this could be addressed and streamline the process, making it easier, eliminating the reason for making it so dangerous for them to cross illegally. All accounts I have seen or heard of illegal crossings can be very dangerous and a source of income for criminals across the border.

I don't blame others for wanting to live here. This is still the best country to live in, its not perfect, but sill the best. There aren't too many citizens wanting to leave. Just move here legally, problem solved. Then this law wont need to be enforced as much.

Just my take on it.

moreluck

golden ticket member
People get freaked out about oil spilling and threatening shrimp......but nobody wants to get excited about people spilling over our southern borders and threatening peaceful lives with their drugs and gangs and guns.
It's time to take the action and secure the borders...it's the first step!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Like I said I do not know first hand just how big of a deal illegal immigration is. The only time I get annoyed at visitors from a foreign country is when I can't find a space at the mall on a Canadian holiday. I just don't think that this law is the answer but don't have an alternative to suggest other than toughening up protection at the border, which takes money and manpower, which we don't have.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Could it be that they realized it was a flawed piece of legislation which would cost more in litigation than in the money saved by enforcing it

so by your way of thinking, every time a local cop enforces a federal law and wants to turn over a criminal to the feds they really shouldn't.
I can thinks of several bank robbers ( a federal crime ) and kidnappers ( another federal crime )who would be very happy.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Like I said I do not know first hand just how big of a deal illegal immigration is. The only time I get annoyed at visitors from a foreign country is when I can't find a space at the mall on a Canadian holiday. I just don't think that this law is the answer but don't have an alternative to suggest other than toughening up protection at the border, which takes money and manpower, which we don't have.

In 1929,President Herbert Hoover authorized the Mexican Repatriation program. To combat rampant unemployment, the burden on municipal aid services, and remove people seen as usurpers of American jobs, the program was largely a forced migration of approximately 500,000 Mexicans and Mexican Americans to Mexico. The program continued through 1937.

The Mexican Repatriation refers to a forced migration that took place between 1929 and 1939, when as many as one million people of Mexican descent were forced or pressured to leave the US.
These actions were authorized by President Herbert Hoover and targeted areas with large Hispanic populations, mostly in California, Texas, Colorado, Illinois and Michigan.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS

I know there is illegal immigration all across the country. Every state deals with it in some form. The border states are 10X worse, at least. The shooting that just happened is a prime example. This kind of thing happens all the time. The shooting of a border rancher recently. It's far from being the first and it's not going to end anytime soon. Its a war zone and it's time to put in some drastic measures to end it. I don't have an alternate suggestion either Dave but I do know that something has to be done. There are already federal laws in place that require immigrants to carry their documentation with them. Those that claim immigrants don't have to keep documentation with them are wrong. They are required to, just like I am required to have my licence or some form of ID with me.

Last edited:

klein

Für Meno :)

It's only going to get worse Upstate !!!
Starting July1st, Ontario will have a 15% sales tax on everything, and our dollar could likely be 10% higher.
Those 2 things alone, will make shopping in "your" lot 25% cheaper. Add the usual savings of atleast 25%.....makes 50% - your in trouble !!!! LOL

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
In 1929,President Herbert Hoover authorized the Mexican Repatriation program. To combat rampant unemployment, the burden on municipal aid services, and remove people seen as usurpers of American jobs, the program was largely a forced migration of approximately 500,000 Mexicans and Mexican Americans to Mexico. The program continued through 1937.

The Mexican Repatriation refers to a forced migration that took place between 1929 and 1939, when as many as one million people of Mexican descent were forced or pressured to leave the US.
These actions were authorized by President Herbert Hoover and targeted areas with large Hispanic populations, mostly in California, Texas, Colorado, Illinois and Michigan.
Kicking US citizens out of the country for the "crime" of being of Mexican descent. Not the kind of history we should be proud of.

The Mexican Repatriation refers to a forced migration that took place between 1929 and 1939, when as many as one million people of Mexican descent were forced or pressured to leave the US. (The term "Repatriation," though commonly used, is inaccurate, since approximately 60% of those driven out were U.S. citizens.)[1] The event, carried out by American authorities, took place without due process.[2] The Immigration and Naturalization Service targeted Mexicans because of "the proximity of the Mexican border, the physical distinctiveness of mestizos, and easily identifiable barrios." [3]

Babagounj

Strength through joy
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Immigration law has used the term ‘moral turpitude’ in its criminal grounds for exclusion since 1891. What constitutes moral turpitude for criminal purposes has been determined by judicial and administrative case law rather than a statutory definition. In general, if a crime manifests an element of baseness or depravity under current societal mores — if it evidences an evil or predatory intent — it involves moral turpitude.
Thus, certain crimes such as murder, rape, blackmail, and fraud are considered crimes involving moral turpitude, whereas crimes such as simple assault have not been considered to involve moral turpitude.

[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Deportation:You may be removed from the US, no matter what your immigration status (permanent residence (a green card), a student visa, a temporary worker visa, or asylum or refugee status). Deportability means the same thing to nonimmigrants and residents, yet very different consequences may ultimately arise from the same criminal conduct. Your status as a permanent resident or nonimmigrant will determine whether you are eligible for a waiver or cancellation of removal.

[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

UPS Lifer

Even scarier news out of Arizona this morning as Sheriff Joe has announced he is contemplating running for Governor. He may just ride the wave of voter sentiment all the way to the Capitol. I'll take a blind and clueless Governor (Patterson) over this guy any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

BTW, if this law is so perfect, why was it toned down yesterday?

Hey Upstate... Good for you, take your governor, support him. I will make no derogatory comments about your governor. I don't live there. It is up to the voters of NY what happens in their state of which I assume you are a voter.

Just a quick question.... Do you live in Arizona? Have you ever lived here? I think not. What you see on the lame stream news is very tainted. The bleeding heart liberals are afraid of people like Sheriff Joe. He treats criminals like criminals and the majority of Arizona appreciates what he does to protect the citizens of Maricopa County. You know who does not appreciate what he does... bleeding heart liberals - illegal aliens and criminals and those who are related to illegal aliens and criminals. These people are a very small percentage of the population of Arizona who make a lot of noise, and most are not citizens of our great state.

So you worry about NY and we will worry about our great state of Arizona.

... and if you don't like what you see happening on the tainted lame stream news, stay in NY. I am OK with that. Say hi to Gov. Patterson for me!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Lifer, relax. I have said repeatedly that I am not that familiar with this issue and was simply giving my take on it. I would guess that my opinion may change if I were subjected to the fallout from illegal immigration as both you and Dilli are.

My son just pulled in the driveway so I am out. Dave.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Sheriff Joe's tent city was featured on this week's episode of Policewomen of Maricopa County. They were covering the jailers there.

The guys in that jail all behave like a-holes. They get treated well as long as they follow orders. It's jail, not the 4 Seasons. One guy was arguing with a woman jailer about his haircut not being to "standards".....he was an idiot.

You watch some of that program and you'll see the element AZ. is dealing with .....CA. too.

UpState , with all due respect, maybe you should either learn more about the issue or refrain from comment. Why would Sheriff Joe becoming Governor of Az worry you one bit?

OK, now imagine you going to the Mall on one of those shopping holidays and as you luck out to get a decent parking place on of the Canuck visiters pulls a gun and shoots you for taking his spot? That is a far fetched scenario for NY but not too far in AZ. I'm thinking that would be a little more than annoying.

island1fox

OK, now imagine you going to the Mall on one of those shopping holidays and as you luck out to get a decent parking place on of the Canuck visiters pulls a gun and shoots you for taking his spot? That is a far fetched scenario for NY but not too far in AZ. I'm thinking that would be a little more than annoying.

trpinkl,
Your post has absolute validity to it ---or just downright common sense !! BUT ---- any Liberal will tell you that you are guilty of "racial profiling" You have stated basically that your odds of being shot by an illegal Mexican are greator than being shot by an illegal Canadian---I believe you are correct ---again statistics and past events prove this. At least one liberal --KLEIN ---may agree with you ---but again most other libs will call you "racist" !!!:happy-very:

Who should the Police watch closer ---The Mexican or the Canadian ???

A deserted lonely road or deserted parking lot --Who would you want your wife or child to encounter ---a young Mexican Male with tattoos and a bandana or a young Canadian with a can of Molson's in his hand ?

Profiling ??? Racism ??? or just down and dirty common sense ?????

Lue C Fur

Evil member
trpinkl,
Your post has absolute validity to it ---or just downright common sense !! BUT ---- any Liberal will tell you that you are guilty of "racial profiling" You have stated basically that your odds of being shot by an illegal Mexican are greator than being shot by an illegal Canadian---I believe you are correct ---again statistics and past events prove this. At least one liberal --KLEIN ---may agree with you ---but again most other libs will call you "racist" !!!:happy-very:

Who should the Police watch closer ---The Mexican or the Canadian ???

A deserted lonely road or deserted parking lot --Who would you want your wife or child to encounter ---a young Mexican Male with tattoos and a bandana or a young Canadian with a can of Molson's in his hand ?

Profiling ??? Racism ??? or just down and dirty common sense ?????

+1. Political correctness sucks!!!!!

moreluck

golden ticket member
The older I get, the less politically correct I become. Your realization of your mortality loosens all vocal chords and I find myself saying exactly what I think. If anyone gets offended, I'll just claim dementia. :wink2: