P

pickup

Guy told me the yard marker, but I didn't write it down. The driver that was in the bunk didn't put his net up and was injured flying out of the sleeper. That's all the info right now. I'll keep digging. thanks.

On occasion, I have been asked to move a sleeper tractor in the yard from one spot to another. These tractors were used many a time and I've noticed on too many occasions, that the net for the sleeping driver was still in its original packaging or in other words ,NEVER USED.

skoomer1

I also pulled one today. Took notice after this thread. We gotta pass the word, cause I sure haven't heard a word from management or our "safety committee" go figure...

NEFARIOUS

BOTTOM FEEDER
I pulled one last night had the 1 on the ibox . You could also tell the brake pods had been changed.

I'd like to hear more on the one bolt painted red. I've noticed it on a couple trailers..

UPS4Life

We got one yesterday that hadn't been fixed. So there are some still on the roads even though there shouldn't be.
Some!?!? There's a lot on the road and they're not coming off either. I feel bad for the places red tagging them because they're going to get stuck with all of them.

Newport2

I started up recently with another driver and we both had the same amount of hours available on our last working day. I was told that I could not work over 60 hours(I've gone over multiple times for years),and kept local off an ID run.
Now I'm not bothered that I was held under 60hrs. Yes I am the senior driver. What bothers me is the picking and choosing of whom they choose to harass. Now, I would just love for them to write me up to help my harassment claim.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I started up recently with another driver and we both had the same amount of hours available on our last working day. I was told that I could not work over 60 hours(I've gone over multiple times for years),and kept local off an ID run.
Now I'm not bothered that I was held under 60hrs. Yes I am the senior driver. What bothers me is the picking and choosing of whom they choose to harass. Now, I would just love for them to write me up to help my harassment claim.

Then you have been violating hours of service for years.

Just because you are local, does not mean that you can work over 60 hours. If you are staying within a 100 mile air radius, it just means that you do not have to run a log.

Whether local or not, you cannot drive after working 60 hours in a 7 day period.

If you stay in the yard, shifting or whatever, you can then work over 60. But you cannot leave the property if you have over 60 hours.

Newport2

Then you have been violating hours of service for years.

Just because you are local, does not mean that you can work over 60 hours. If you are staying within a 100 mile air radius, it just means that you do not have to run a log.

Whether local or not, you cannot drive after working 60 hours in a 7 day period.

If you stay in the yard, shifting or whatever, you can then work over 60. But you cannot leave the property if you have over 60 hours.

Hours of service is 70 hrs a week. 60 hrs is UPS unwritten BS rule. You've been misinformed my brother. Walk in the chicken coup next time you roll through and talk to a Patrolman.
We've actually been allowed (per Ups) to work 63.20, for years. 40min x5 for breaks is the plus.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
62.50 here.

70 hrs is in a 8 day period. we are on the 60 hr 7 day rule.

they are thinking of tweeking it again to mess us all up again.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Hours of service is 70 hrs a week. 60 hrs is UPS unwritten BS rule. You've been misinformed my brother. Walk in the chicken coup next time you roll through and talk to a Patrolman.
We've actually been allowed (per Ups) to work 63.20, for years. 40min x5 for breaks is the plus.

20 Minutes for breaks × 5 here. Can work 61.66 hours.

We are 60 hours in 7 days, not 70 hours in 8 days.

Check DOT regulations. If your standard workweek is 5 days, most UPS feeder drivers, it is 60 hours in 7 days.

If your standard workweek is 6 or 7 days, most over the road trucking companies, Swift, Schneider, JB Hunt, then it is 70 hours in 8 days.

Next time you roll through a coup, stop and tell the patrolman or scalemaster that your standard work week is 5 days and you have already worked 67 hours in 5 days.

See how fast they shut you down and see how big the fine is.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
in 25 years I have never heard of a UPSer being shut down or fined for an HOS problem.

of course there have been HOS violations but they are usually very minor and are handled inhouse with progressive discipline. maybe a letter here or there but never a termination.

and they are handled very very quickly. the next day. I think the DOT knows this and pretty much knows that we are 99.95% in compliance. at least at our hub.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!

And just to clarify, you still cannot work more than 60 hours. Your breaks do not count as working time when calculating DOT hours of service.

This means that you can be paid for more than 60 hours, but you are not working more than 60 hours.

Another issue is that drivers are getting fired for violating hours of service.

DOT regulations state that you cannot drive after being on duty for 8 hours without taking a 30 minute rest period.

Drivers are keying in their meal and then working, hooking sets, unhooking, etc. Mileage drivers do this because they are paid by the mile, not by the hour.

If you work through your meal, or 5 minutes of your meal, you have not satisfied the 30 minute rest period and are in violation of hours of service once you reach 8 hours of on duty time and keep driving.

UPS4Life

If this is the case why did ups apply for a retail exemption during peak to be allowed to work 70 hours?

moldsporh

Is a cdl needed for feeders. HR told me its not

Not needed as above mentioned, but I highly recommend getting some practice with the shifting of a non-synchronized transmission. It takes time and you don't have that in your unpaid week. Some catch on pretty quick but for the most part a lot of people don't.

You must be able to shift, especially downshift. This is the part that makes or breaks you.