mnballard

Working a 60/7 week typically let's us work more than a 70/8 when working the same schedule week after week. Five 12 hour days is 60 hours per week and a full 60 hours on a 60/7 log, however it would be 72 hours on a 70/8 log and be a violation. If we went to a 70/8 log for everyone, many feeder drivers would be reduced 2 hours of available time per workweek. Think about it before responding.....

UPS4Life

If what you say is true, then why is not UPS operating under the 70/8 hours of service?

There is no advantage to following the 60/7 rule. There are huge advantages to following the 70/8 rule.

Maybe something to do with UPS drivers having a 5 day standard work week, not 7 days?

An over the road driver following the 70/8 has a 7 day work week. He leaves and works everyday until he returns weeks or months later.

Almost every UPS driver, with a few minor exceptions, only works 5 days a week.
That's my argument is why are we not operating under a 70/8 when we have drivers working a full 7 days a week. I understand drivers only work 5 days as I don't think I've ever worked 6 days a week. The way I'm reading it though is it's based on the company running 7 days a week not the driver. I think the previous poster hit the nail on the head, overtime. It limits you to only being able to work 60 hrs a week, on the road anyways.

Newport2

^Ding ding ding. This is correct! We've been going over 60hrs here in SoCal for the last few years. Someone went into the Highway Patrol, and was told by the Patrolman "we look at UPS as 70hr drivers". That's when the flood gates opened!

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Working a 60/7 week typically let's us work more than a 70/8 when working the same schedule week after week. Five 12 hour days is 60 hours per week and a full 60 hours on a 60/7 log, however it would be 72 hours on a 70/8 log and be a violation. If we went to a 70/8 log for everyone, many feeder drivers would be reduced 2 hours of available time per workweek. Think about it before responding.....

Your explanation would be correct if there was not a 34 hour restart clause.

Going to a 70/8 would allow a feeder driver to work 10 more hours per week, or 6 days, if needed.

Working only 5 days a week, or even 6, would still allow for a 34 hour restart.

There is a very minute percentage, if any at all, that don't get a 34 hour restart.

So if you are working a rolling 60, or 70 hours and never resetting, I see your point. But this is not the case.

R

rclosure

Hi. I'm Richard. I'm new to the forum. Former UPSer. 1999-2005. Wanted to come back, as a feeder driver. Possibly seasonal, may be the easiest route. What are the qualifications?

fres431

How do you know?
I know because there is a do not rehire box when people leave UPS, if that box is checked you'll have better odds playing the lotto. You don't just get fired for one no show no call. It takes multiplies or a job abandonment to get fired for one incident

R

rclosure

Then I was told, it was because I have a felony Domestic Battery on my rap sheet. But that's now over 7 years old.

fres431

Felony ain't the factor, we had a new hire who served time for being a driver in a drive by shooting that killed someone. So the felony ain't holding you from being hired at ups. Ups highers felons all the time.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Not going to happen. It would require someone in HR or retention to go back in and take the "do not rehire" hold off of your file. This is incredibly unlikely unless someone still working there in management can not only vouch for you, but convince this person to do so.

fres431

Not going to happen. It would require someone in HR or retention to go back in and take the "do not rehire" hold off of your file. This is incredibly unlikely unless someone still working there in management can not only vouch for you, but convince this person to do so.
I have heard of this where a out of state hr called one of my managers asking about why x was on the do not rehire list, needless to say he stayed on the do not rehire list