Asset Vs. Liability

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
The one big thing that got me off the FedEx Kool-Aid and transformed into pro-union, pro-employee,was the way FedEx dealt with people who had become "liabilities". Let me explain. For Fred, and his corporation, if you're making him money, you're an "asset", and the second you are costing him money, the employee is a "liability". It makes no difference if you've been there 25 minutes or 25 years, because they don't care. You could be a stellar employee who won a Golden Falcon award, or the slacker who always just barely made it. They want you gone and off the books.

This is a calculation made long ago, and codified in the numerous P&P provisions that protect the company and make it very difficult for an employee to fight back. Like Ford, who figured that the cost of lawsuits would be less than a recall for the infamous Pinto gas tank issue, Fred will cut you loose, and then hope that the minefield he has laid-out will end up costing him less overall. In the long run, the lawsuits and settlements will be less than just getting rid of a "liability".

I saw this over and over again during my 25+ year Express career. Good people, who were great employees, got the shaft if they got hurt or somehow made a screw-up, whether real or imagined. A lot of lives were harmed in the process.

All it takes is a complaint from a big shipper, a spurned receptionist,"harassment", or a wide variety of other reasons. FedEx does not care, and they'll just cut you loose after an "investigation", which is often a joke. They now see you as a liability, not an asset. Sure, you might get your job back, or you might not. Either way, they've covered the corporation, and you're on your own.

Back in the 90's, I knew a courier who had a homeless person run out of a side alley directly into his van. Absolutely nothing he could have done to prevent it, but they fired him after a short "investigation". He fought it with an attorney and got his job back, but he had been fully awakened to just how expendable he was to a company he thought had his back. The police report fully cleared him, yet it took months to get back on the job.

Stellar employee, and full of Purple Pride.

I have tons of other examples, and Dano will soon be on here to say I'm making it up or lying. I'm not, and he's here just to cover for FedEx.

Keep this in mind as we go forward with Covid-19 and the aftermath.

I am FedEx

This statement is ridiculous. Back in the 90s... enough said old timer! Fedex carefully weighs the pros/cons of employment. If you meet goal your considered an asset, as set forth in your contract. Failure to meet the conditions of the contract and you should be labeled as a liability. Fedex has a displacement program that will cover your reason of “got hurt”.

bacha29

The one big thing that got me off the FedEx Kool-Aid and transformed into pro-union, pro-employee,was the way FedEx dealt with people who had become "liabilities". Let me explain. For Fred, and his corporation, if you're making him money, you're an "asset", and the second you are costing him money, the employee is a "liability". It makes no difference if you've been there 25 minutes or 25 years, because they don't care. You could be a stellar employee who won a Golden Falcon award, or the slacker who always just barely made it. They want you gone and off the books.

This is a calculation made long ago, and codified in the numerous P&P provisions that protect the company and make it very difficult for an employee to fight back. Like Ford, who figured that the cost of lawsuits would be less than a recall for the infamous Pinto gas tank issue, Fred will cut you loose, and then hope that the minefield he has laid-out will end up costing him less overall. In the long run, the lawsuits and settlements will be less than just getting rid of a "liability".

I saw this over and over again during my 25+ year Express career. Good people, who were great employees, got the shaft if they got hurt or somehow made a screw-up, whether real or imagined. A lot of lives were harmed in the process.

All it takes is a complaint from a big shipper, a spurned receptionist,"harassment", or a wide variety of other reasons. FedEx does not care, and they'll just cut you loose after an "investigation", which is often a joke. They now see you as a liability, not an asset. Sure, you might get your job back, or you might not. Either way, they've covered the corporation, and you're on your own.

Back in the 90's, I knew a courier who had a homeless person run out of a side alley directly into his van. Absolutely nothing he could have done to prevent it, but they fired him after a short "investigation". He fought it with an attorney and got his job back, but he had been fully awakened to just how expendable he was to a company he thought had his back. The police report fully cleared him, yet it took months to get back on the job.

I have tons of other examples, and Dano will soon be on here to say I'm making it up or lying. I'm not, and he's here just to cover for FedEx.

I keep hearing and reading reports from economists and sociologists regarding the extent to which America will change after COVID 19 passes into history, it's going to be different. The economy is expected to contract violently and is not expected to come roaring back as quickly as some hope.

And when it comes to your description of employment conditions at Express much the same environment exists at Ground in the sense that as a contractor while you sign contract there's no way to hold Ground to their own contract terms. The recourse or due process simply isn't there.

And while you might be a bit above scale you're kidding yourself if you believe that you have leverage and are indispensable.
It all comes down to what the printed word says and the means that are at your disposal to make them binding upon the other party.

bacha29

This statement is ridiculous. Back in the 90s... enough said old timer! Fedex carefully weighs the pros/cons of employment. If you meet goal your considered an asset, as set forth in your contract. Failure to meet the conditions of the contract and you should be labeled as a liability. Fedex has a displacement program that will cover your reason of “got hurt”.
So tell me while you might have a employment contract can you identify for me the governing legal authority with the power to make it binding? Do you a multi step grievance protocol and what third party representative speaking in your behalf will X agree to meet with?

CatMan

This is very true , I know plenty of good guys that got the boot for small infractions over the years , but like I said , you gotta behave , be lucky, and have a cool manager

CatMan

Correct! ...just like in sports, once you're hurt , it's next man up.....it's just business, unfortunately, you'll likely be displaced, but should keep your job.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Express employees (except pilots) don't have contracts, so it's obvious you don't know what you're talking about. "At-will" is the key phrase at Express, sir.

Displacement programs at FedEx are designed to get rid of people, not get them back to work.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
You are mistake if you believe express does not provide contracts to their employees.

Are you talking about the "at-will"clause in the application, or that Express employees have "contracts"? You seem confused, sir. Are you talking Ground contractors?

bacha29

You are mistake if you believe express does not provide contracts to their employees.
Contract or no contract it doesn't mean a thing if you don't have the legal firepower to make the terms binding . If there's no fair and readily accessible process to litigate your grievances then what good is that employment contract?

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
I have tons of other examples, and Dano will soon be on here to say I'm making it up or lying.

My comment is about the same as it has always been. Odd how the most outlandish claims come from the most dramatic and histrionic poster; odd how you manage to have exponentially more firsthand information about such incidents than the rest of the board combined; odd how you see the company as this heartless machine that fires people left and right for the most minor of infractions when other people seem to notice that it's nearly impossible to get fired for anything.

bacha29

Express employees (except pilots) don't have contracts, so it's obvious you don't know what you're talking about. "At-will" is the key phrase at Express, sir.

Displacement programs at FedEx are designed to get rid of people, not get them back to work.
You're right about Dano. He immediately comes to the defense of his employer. The fact that he can't seem to remember the unjust firings is because those incidents were erased from his memory a long time ago courtesy of his many trips to the academy.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
My comment is about the same as it has always been. Odd how the most outlandish claims come from the most dramatic and histrionic poster; odd how you manage to have exponentially more firsthand information about such incidents than the rest of the board combined; odd how you see the company as this heartless machine that fires people left and right for the most minor of infractions when other people seem to notice that it's nearly impossible to get fired for anything.

I knew you'd be here quickly to put the fire out, except you've got no water. As usual, you're shooting blanks.

CatMan

Their Rte is filled and they'll need to find another rte...in another station if nessesary.

59 Dano

You're right about Dano. He immediately comes to the defense of his employer. The fact that he can't seem to remember the unjust firings is because those incidents were erased from his memory a long time ago courtesy of his many trips to the academy.

I've complained about my employer almost as many times as you've posted meaningless stock prices.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
What contract? You are an at will employee.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Not to side with MFE, but I’ve seen several couriers fired for reasons that any other company with a dime of integrity would have stood behind. And don’t tell me I don’t have the complete story.

One of the most egregious was a courier delivering a damaged package. Policy states customer must refuse, or accept with damage exception noted. Recipient didn’t like her options and yanked couriers ID off his neck and slammed the door shut. When she finally opened the door, he reached up and pulled his ID out of her hand and left.

He was pulled off the road and fired. She had called the cops and filed assault charges against him. FedEx found it easier to fire a 15 year employee than to back him up.

Sorry, that’s unjustified.

59 Dano

Not to side with MFE, but I’ve seen several couriers fired for reasons that any other company with a dime of integrity would have stood behind. And don’t tell me I don’t have the complete story.

One of the most egregious was a courier delivering a damaged package. Policy states customer must refuse, or accept with damage exception noted. Recipient didn’t like her options and yanked couriers ID off his neck and slammed the door shut. When she finally opened the door, he reached up and pulled his ID out of her hand and left.

He was pulled off the road and fired. She had called the cops and filed assault charges against him. FedEx found it easier to fire a 15 year employee than to back him up.

Sorry, that’s unjustified.

Not to doubt you, but you're getting part of the story. That aside, she had a legitimate enough -in the legal sense- complaint against him (and he did against her as well). How do you back him up? I understand him reacting that way but if some idiot snatches my ID, I leave immediately and call the cops and my manager. Not going to stand around and wait.

The guy should have simply denied everything. Her word against his. Fifty bucks says he talked himself out of his job. Guaranteed.