Asset Vs. Liability

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Not to doubt you, but you're getting part of the story. That aside, she had a legitimate enough -in the legal sense- complaint against him (and he did against her as well). How do you back him up? I understand him reacting that way but if some idiot snatches my ID, I leave immediately and call the cops and my manager. Not going to stand around and wait.

The guy should have simply denied everything. Her word against his. Fifty bucks says he talked himself out of his job. Guaranteed.

FedEx helps you work yourself out of a job with their whole "investigation" process, starting with your written statement. HR and management can cherry pick it to find enough to get you out the door.

FM's example is perfect. That is exactly the type of He said/She said situation that will get you canned. FedEx seldom will back you up and will take the low-risk/no liability road that saves them money.

Too bad if you lose your job in the process. Fred's money gets protected.

Nolimitz

and your still a maroon

Not to doubt you, but you're getting part of the story. That aside, she had a legitimate enough -in the legal sense- complaint against him (and he did against her as well). How do you back him up? I understand him reacting that way but if some idiot snatches my ID, I leave immediately and call the cops and my manager. Not going to stand around and wait.

The guy should have simply denied everything. Her word against his. Fifty bucks says he talked himself out of his job. Guaranteed.

CatMan

My comment is about the same as it has always been. Odd how the most outlandish claims come from the most dramatic and histrionic poster; odd how you manage to have exponentially more firsthand information about such incidents than the rest of the board combined; odd how you see the company as this heartless machine that fires people left and right for the most minor of infractions when other people seem to notice that it's nearly impossible to get fired for anything.
Not to side with MFE, but I’ve seen several couriers fired for reasons that any other company with a dime of integrity would have stood behind. And don’t tell me I don’t have the complete story.

One of the most egregious was a courier delivering a damaged package. Policy states customer must refuse, or accept with damage exception noted. Recipient didn’t like her options and yanked couriers ID off his neck and slammed the door shut. When she finally opened the door, he reached up and pulled his ID out of her hand and left.

He was pulled off the road and fired. She had called the cops and filed assault charges against him. FedEx found it easier to fire a 15 year employee than to back him up.

Sorry, that’s unjustified.
Wow , I would have called the police on the spot that my Airline Identification was just stolen , then call my Mgr. ...

Serf

When you’re in you’re a guest, when you’re out you’re a pest. Just like the Army. Stay in your lane, keep your head down.

MassWineGuy

this heartless machine that fires people left and right for the most minor of infractions when other people seem to notice that it's nearly impossible to get fired for anything.

Got to agree there. Unless you shoot someone or get into a spectacular crash, it’s tough to be fired.

CatMan

Got to agree there. Unless you shoot someone or get into a spectacular crash, it’s tough to be fired.
In my experience, most terminations are a result of many "little" issues that pile up...Then one day you get canned for what seems minor....so its the guys that can't stay consistent on attendance, punctuality, scan compliance, vehicle safety, attitude, cooperation, ect...Thats why we have the letter system...and if the letters are starting to pile up...your days are numbered..Also with the GFT system , you might get a letter overturned ..SPH will not get you fired, insubordination will !!..they'll generally just have lower expectations of you..but if you're a slacker that's always screwing up, oh well...it's like that saying "the straw that broke the camels back"

Last edited:

CatMan

The other thing is Fedex is notorious for hiring people that aren't "courier material"...we hire them, train them, give them uniforms...and they can't hack it...we had a new hire girl quit cause she was PT and asked to do overflow and some bulks .....and she just quit!..What a waste...that and paying an hour and a half of overtime to do a bad address reattempt on a package that has a 2$ profit. ..where's the logic?..

Last edited:

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
FedEx helps you work yourself out of a job with their whole "investigation" process, starting with your written statement. HR and management can cherry pick it to find enough to get you out the door.

FM's example is perfect. That is exactly the type of He said/She said situation that will get you canned. FedEx seldom will back you up and will take the low-risk/no liability road that saves them money.

Too bad if you lose your job in the process. Fred's money gets protected.

This wasn't described as a he said/she said situation.

59 Dano

In my experience, most terminations are a result of many "little" issues that pile up...Then one day you get canned for what seems minor....so its the guys that can't stay consistent on attendance, punctuality, scan compliance, vehicle safety, attitude, cooperation, ect...Thats why we have the letter system...and if the letters are starting to pile up...your days are numbered..Also with the GFT system , you might get a letter overturned ..SPH will not get you fired, insubordination will !!..they'll generally just have lower expectations of you..but if you're a slacker that's always screwing up, oh well...it's like that saying "the straw that broke the camels back"

I always like the guy who'd tell everyone "They fired me for being five minutes late," and leave out the part where he had persistent punctuality issues (among other issues) and had been disciplined twice in the prior 12 months for tardiness, including being given a decision day and required to submit a Personal Improvement Plan.

They often forget that part.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I always like the guy who'd tell everyone "They fired me for being five minutes late," and leave out the part where he had persistent punctuality issues (among other issues) and had been disciplined twice in the prior 12 months for tardiness, including being given a decision day and required to submit a Personal Improvement Plan.

They often forget that part.

Yes, they do. Did you get a Liability Reset when you crawled back and begged to be an overseer again at The Plantation?

59 Dano

and your still a maroon

I'm a maroon who knows how these things work. You want to do it your way, fine by me. It's not like I have to make sacrifices if you or any other employee insists on being stubborn and gets fired for it as a result.

MAKAVELI

The other thing is Fedex is notorious for hiring people that aren't "courier material"...we hire them, train them, give them uniforms...and they can't hack it...we had a new hire girl quit cause she was PT and asked to do overflow and some bulks .....and she just quit!..What a waste...that and paying an hour and a half of overtime to do a bad address reattempt on a package that has a 2$ profit. ..where's the logic?..
Yep. UPS has a 30 day qualifying period. If you can't hack it, it's back to preload or back to the streets.

CatMan

I'm a maroon who knows how these things work. You want to do it your way, fine by me. It's not like I have to make sacrifices if you or any other employee insists on being stubborn and gets fired for it as a result.
Maroon!.. Lol...sounds like a bugs bunny quote, but that's kind of what I'm saying....I don't need to kiss ass ...only kick ass!...I don't mind giving a prolific effort most days...I've actually had to dial it back or I'll be sweeping bulks and dispatch asking me to do favors for some surrounding routes...I don't dig it much...but if you can handle yourself like a professional ...maybe you won't be so pist off....it's hard work , and were under appreciated. .I get it

bacha29

Maroon!.. Lol...sounds like a bugs bunny quote, but that's kind of what I'm saying....I don't need to kiss ass ...only kick ass!...I don't mind giving a prolific effort most days...I've actually had to dial it back or I'll be sweeping bulks and dispatch asking me to do favors for some surrounding routes...I don't dig it much...but if you can handle yourself like a professional ...maybe you won't be so pist off....it's hard work , and were under appreciated. .I get it
Hard work? After you done with those envelopes go over to Ground and do a tour of duty spending much of your day dragging stolen motor freight up 3 or 4 flights of stairs ......just to have them refuse it..

CatMan

Hard work? After you done with those envelopes go over to Ground and do a tour of duty spending much of your day dragging stolen motor freight up 3 or 4 flights of stairs ......just to have them refuse it..
Well I'll give you a pass on your condescending " After you done with those evelopes". You don't know crap about my route.I know Ground is brutal, but if you're Express you must know that you have to cover the route almost 3 times. Starting at 0900 to 1030 you have 25 P1. And then I get about 75 P2, and need to make the business SOS by 1500 and they're scattered all over this sprawling area .Then you need to break route around 1400 to get them done on time. The 2nd half is knocking out the remaining resi's..you with me so far? Good , all while making time for your early closing pickups and until recently, signature required resi and throw in a couple COD here and there. A lot of apartments, a couple bulks ,wicked traffic.Oh ,and plenty of construction and some trains to boot! 15 pick ups and a 1 hour lunch...Yeah man , mindless unskilled work anyone can do , right?..I know multiple routes SRA..no map no GPS! Oh yeah you also have to reattempt any business C8. Back at the station by 1700 with a 20 min stem.

Last edited:

CatMan

Plus I got bit a few times, and we're not allowed to carry repellant ! Over 25yrs in and I'm still putting some of these cocky millenialls in their place.

Last edited:

McFeely

Huge Member

Why would we go over to Ground? We know it sucks there, and only a sucker would willingly buy a route there and piss and moan about how awful his contract is.

bacha29

Well I'll give you a pass on your condescending " After you done with those evelopes". You don't know crap about my route.I know Ground is brutal, but if you're Express you must know that you have to cover the route almost 3 times. Starting at 0900 to 1030 you have 25 P1. And then I get about 75 P2, and need to make the business SOS by 1500 and they're scattered all over this sprawling area .Then you need to break route around 1400 to get them done on time. The 2nd half is knocking out the remaining resi's..you with me so far? Good , all while making time for your early closing pickups and until recently, signature required resi and throw in a couple COD here and there. A lot of apartments, a couple bulks ,wicked traffic.Oh ,and plenty of construction and some trains to boot! 15 pick ups and a 1 hour lunch...Yeah man , mindless unskilled work anyone can do , right?..I know multiple routes SRA..no map no GPS! Oh yeah you also have to reattempt any business C8. Back at the station by 1700 with a 20 min stem.
You have no idea how many Ground oxen would love to be back by 1700. With many of the Ground oxen you're lucky if you can get back by 2000.And "sprawling" area ? You express guy work neighborhoods but out in rural USA Ground guys work multiple counties, 300+ miles is a routine day. And for the Ground oxen who are in urban areas 200+ stops and 400+ crates in a day is considered a slow day.

Sure, express is time sensitive but you're not out there dragging around truck bumpers, back hoe buckets, steam jenny's, complete living room suites etc etc. People killing themselves out there just to keep you letter carriers pension and healthcare plans solvent.

bacha29

Why would we go over to Ground? We know it sucks there, and only a sucker would willingly buy a route there and piss and moan about how awful his contract is.
Under Roadway while it wasn't perfect they did however stay within the original market objective which from a contractor perspective made the experience acceptable
When Fat Freddy got a hold of it he tried to make it serve multiple markets tried to make it be all things to all people . Something for which it was never designed to do and as his dependence on it for earnings became disproportionately heavy the disparity between the value he offered and the value he demands became unacceptable.