rod

Retired 22 years
My gf's brother was working part time and asked me if I wanted to start work the next morning unloading the feeder. Short story even shorter. Married his sister 3 months later and started as a full time driver. No UPS school --just the DM riding with me for 2 days.

Heavy Package

Started with UPS at 37. Inside preload at a 75% pay cut. Started driving that same year and am now a full-time driver. Here's a reality check from someone who worked a 9-5 desk job out of college for 15 years till UPS.

Inside the hub UPS is a hard, physical, thankless job often done alone with little to no communication or support. It was an adjustment, that's for sure. It sucks. You are nothing but a body with a heartbeat to them and you come home stinking and filthy.

Driving is better - the pay and benefits are great. Day to day moving the boxes and driving I don't notice any fatigue on road but my body hurts when I get home. I need more rest than ever before and I sleep more on the weekends. Mentally I think I am 18, but my body is starting to tell me I am not. You still come home stinking and filthy but get paid decent.

Driving for UPS is a day in and day out cat and mouse game. The constant stupid messages, safety jargon, and "we can get you at any time" feeling that management gives you is just plain weird coming from other fortune 500 corporate cultures.

On the plus side, the pay and benefits are great, as well as the feeling that I leave the job at UPS and try not to take it home with me. It truly is a job that has you with the "golden cardboard handcuffs". Only when you work for UPS do you truly understand what we are talking about here.

T

thisjobaintforeverybody

It’s not about the labor as much as it is about the time away from family or any hobbies Mon-Friday. Do a search on these forums, drivers aren’t complaining about the physical aspect, the number 1 complaint is forced time away from home.

But it can wear your body out overtime!

Shiftless

Realistically? 36 + many years part time + working your way into a FT driver position = you will be ready for retirement before you know it.

watdaflock?

You do realize that the current funds in SS are IOUs from the Federal Gov't .
Plainly speaking it is already gone .
Well to be completely fair, there never was any cash in SS. It's always been a pay as you go, until '82 and Ronnie enacted the payroll tax hike, in preparation of all the baby-boomers retiring. The Treasury (pretty much) handed the surplus $$$ to Bush and his war.

Yea yea yea.....all Presidents do this type of crap. I know...

rod

Retired 22 years
Well to be completely fair, there never was any cash in SS. It's always been a pay as you go, until '82 and Ronnie enacted the payroll tax hike, in preparation of all the baby-boomers retiring. The Treasury (pretty much) handed the surplus $$$ to Bush and his war.

Yea yea yea.....all Presidents do this type of crap. I know...
I remember when they used to quit taking SS out of your checks when you hit about 25 or 30K. That was usually about October.

Dr.Brownz

Driving for UPS is a day in and day out cat and mouse game. The constant stupid messages, safety jargon, and "we can get you at any time" feeling that management gives you is just plain weird coming from other fortune 500 corporate cultures.

e.

If you feel this way you should be following every rule to a T and filing harassment grievances at every instance of intimidation or harassment.

Above10200

Not at all I am 4 years in and I am 41, the people who are retiring out of my center are 25-30 years older. I learned quick learn your contract, go at a safe pace you can keep up with for 25+ years, and SUPPORT YOUR UNION!!!!! It is a great career for me and my family but you need to fight for your rights! There is no union without you!