Avatar -Science Fiction or Disgrace ?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by island1fox, Dec 21, 2009.

1. island1fox

island1fox Well-Known Member

Great special effects. Why did Hollywood have to Spin their Liberal Message of America the evil, Corporate greed, Imperialism,Killing of our Green Planet and Showing the majority of our military and Marines as blood thirsty killers of women and children? :angry: In a time of war -when so many of our young are sacraficing so much ---SHAME on Hollywood.

2. bbsam

bbsam Moderator Staff Member

Same reason the military told the Pat Tillman hero story. They have a point of view to sell.

3. av8torntn

av8torntn Well-Known Member

Was it any good? I went to try and catch it at the IMAX and they were sold out. I am on the fence about going to the trouble to watch it.

4. moreluck

moreluck golden ticket member

I would have a problem watching any movie about 10 ft. blue people.......I need reality!! Papa Smurf didn't do it for me either.

Give me comedy/romance, the old guy/girl story of relationships and how they work or don't work. IE: Meet the Parents, Along Came Polly, Sweet Heart Alabama, etc.

5. island1fox

av8torntn,
    The movie had great special effects --no doubt about it. I am really not "thin skinned" --an underlying liberal message would not bother me --but I truly feel that Hollywood went out its way to portray America as the EVIL empire. I left the movie not in a very good mood. I would not have spent the twenty bucks to get in --if I would have known. Also it was very long and dragged on a little after the first two hours.
    Maybe I am very "old fashioned" but give me Cagney singing "over there" if it is a film about our troops.:wink2:

6. cachsux

cachsux Wah

I believe you are incorrect in your statement on one fact. It was James Cameron,not Hollywood, who produced this film and it`s message. he has openly admitted the parallel story to Americas invasion of Iraq. Don`t take it as an insult,man has been warring and pillaging against his neighbor long before there was an America.

7. island1fox

cach,
    Not looking to give you a hard way to go --James Cameron --Famous Hollywood movie maker -married to a Hollywood star --Not Hollywood ???:wink2:

8. cachsux

cachsux Wah

If it bothers you that much then go see a Miley Cyrus flick.

9. av8torntn

av8torntn Well-Known Member

Thanks I think I will take that advice.

10. Jones

Jones fILE A GRIEVE! Staff Member

The story looks to be pretty cliche and preachy, but I will probably go see it just for the special effects.

11. wkmac

wkmac Well-Known Member

One Review

Another review

If it wasn't for the special effects (always better on the big screen) I'd wait for the DVD but as is I'll probably go over the next few weeks to check it out myself. I am also interested in the storyline from a property rights perspective having heard of this angle before the movie was released. On the primacy of property rights, sounds like I'm pulling for the Na'vi.

The animation reminds me to much of artist Roger Dean who did the album covers and set designs for the band Yes as well as album covers for the band Asia. As much as I'm interested in special effects and the storyline however that works out, I'm also interested in the movie as a fan of Roger's artwork.

12. JimJimmyJames

JimJimmyJames Big Time Feeder Driver

Ditto :happy2:.

Also, ditto on the Roger Dean reference :happy2:.

As a person who (and sometimes only with hindsight, unfortunately) has not agreed with any "war" (remember, none of them were declared) we have been involved in since WWII and who does believe that corporate America and the military must be viewed with suspicion, I think I will view the message of the film sympathetically.

And, believe it or not, I consider myself to be a conservative.

13. diesel96

diesel96 New Member

Who care's..... what happened to the good ole' days when we rolled a "fatty" right before going into the movie theater and enjoyed a futuristic special effects movie ? ... please, if a fictional movie is capable of influencing you to the point of making life altering changes than maybe you ought to stay home read a book instead....

14. moreluck

moreluck golden ticket member

deez......we were able to smoke both in the movie theaters and hospitals !!

15. wkmac

wkmac Well-Known Member

Jim,

It's long but check out Dr. Murry Rothbard's circa 1965' article, Left and Right: The Prospects for Liberty. I think from your POV and now looking back nearly 45 years at Rothbard's observations, his comments might prove most worthwhile. Like myself when I read it, there should be several "AH-HA" moments.

I've no doubt Cameron has something in mind and yes preachy may in fact be the word but this nation and it's principles were founded on the Lockean ideal of property rights and thus the inalienable rights of the individual so any movie that forces us to face how we violate the very principles this nation was founded on IMO has good merits to it! So-called conservative decry the so-called liberal for his zeal of gov't in taking property domestically at will (property being not just physical property but in Lockean tradition all that the individual produces is property as well) for public purposes and yet the conservative doesn't decry his own efforts to do the same on the international stage under the veil of nationalism by using the guise and excuse of societal security. (Again, read Rothbard above)

I can see exactly where many conservatives and even liberals might object to the root message of property rights in Avatar (something about looking at yourself) and I'm not so sure Cameron completely sees this for what it is. Hope I'm wrong about him however. Looking forward to seeing the movie!

16. wkmac

wkmac Well-Known Member

Honey, I don't think you were able to smoke what D was talking about, at least not legally!

:happy-very:

17. wkmac

wkmac Well-Known Member

Oooo! Such hostility! Sounds familar so let's make a quick change and marvel at the similarities.

Jim,

See Rothbard's point?
    :wink2:

18. diesel96

diesel96 New Member

what ???....who's talking tabacco...lol :bloodshot:

Ha Ha....JJ's got homework from Kmac...lol:wink2:

Hostility ?...If I came across as hostel, I'm sorry, or, are you a little senitive today Kmac ? I thought you'd be able to read into my opinion and agree....instead your comparison of me to Tieguy was a complete 180' degree turn around......I just don't find the big deal of getting worked up'ed over a Sci Fi movie...but, I do recall the movie, V for Vendetta, had a very profound affect on you. So I guess I should tone it down for you movie buffs...:wink2:

19. tieguy

tieguy Banned

I don't know why you're beating yourself up I like your avatar.:happy-very:

20. island1fox

??????
    Does not pay to be nice --no need to say more :happy-very: