Awkward encounters with people on your route

Indecisi0n

That is what I do, except I usually sort my entire truck after my business section is done. I will continue delivering, but as soon as I cant find my first package, I sort the whole truck. usually takes 15-20 minutes, but I make up the time by the end of the day, by no searching, and it saves me headaches from frustration...

I do the same. I do all the business, sort my truck pretty much stop for stop while checking for misloads. Then take my lunch. The rest of the day is smooth sailing until i get messages for OCP's at businesses that i was just at 2 mins ago. WTF people.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Had a delivery in a semi-rural area one time to a house with a small driveway, so I backed into the driveway to get off of the road and then walked the stop off. It was about 80 yards from the pkg car to the house and the driveway was curved, so the pkg car was not visible from the house.

So I hike on up there with the package and when I get around the last little curve of the driveway I see that the garage door was open. With rain in the forecast, I decide to leave the package in the garage. I walked into the garage and towards the door that led into to the house when, out of the corner of my eye, I saw the woman of the house doing laundry...in her underwear.

Her back was to me, and she couldnt hear the noise of my footsteps or jingling keys over the noise from the dryer. I didnt see her until the last minute because she was on the other side of a vehicle that was parked in the garage.

At this point, I am screwed no matter what I do. If I announce my presence...she is gonna scream. If I drop the package and try to "sneak" back out and she sees me out of the corner of her eye...she is gonna scream. If I remain motionless to give myself time to think and she sees me....she will assume I was standing there staring at her and she is really gonna scream. To make matters even worse I notice several nice sets of deer and elk antlers hung on the wall, which tells me that (a) she is married and (b) her husband hunts which means (c)that he owns guns.

I had to make a decision immediately....so I continued walking in the garage towards the door that led to the inside of the house, I placed the package down, and I walked back out with my eyes looking towards the floor. I was 3/4 of the way back out of the garage when I heard her scream. Not missing a beat...and keeping my eyes glued to the floor....I said in a loud voice "UPS, package for you ma'am, I left it by the door, have a nice day" and kept on walking. The 80-yard march back to the package car seemed like a mile, and I was never so glad to get back in the driver seat. I have had several deliveries for that house in the years since, and the lady and I have never once spoken of the incident. What happens out on route....stays out on route.

Indecisi0n

Had a delivery in a semi-rural area one time to a house with a small driveway, so I backed into the driveway to get off of the road and then walked the stop off. It was about 80 yards from the pkg car to the house and the driveway was curved, so the pkg car was not visible from the house.

So I hike on up there with the package and when I get around the last little curve of the driveway I see that the garage door was open. With rain in the forecast, I decide to leave the package in the garage. I walked into the garage and towards the door that led into to the house when, out of the corner of my eye, I saw the woman of the house doing laundry...in her underwear.

Her back was to me, and she couldnt hear the noise of my footsteps or jingling keys over the noise from the dryer. I didnt see her until the last minute because she was on the other side of a vehicle that was parked in the garage.

At this point, I am screwed no matter what I do. If I announce my presence...she is gonna scream. If I drop the package and try to "sneak" back out and she sees me out of the corner of her eye...she is gonna scream. If I remain motionless to give myself time to think and she sees me....she will assume I was standing there staring at her and she is really gonna scream. To make matters even worse I notice several nice sets of deer and elk antlers hung on the wall, which tells me that (a) she is married and (b) her husband hunts which means (c)that he owns guns.

I had to make a decision immediately....so I continued walking in the garage towards the door that led to the inside of the house, I placed the package down, and I walked back out with my eyes looking towards the floor. I was 3/4 of the way back out of the garage when I heard her scream. Not missing a beat...and keeping my eyes glued to the floor....I said in a loud voice "UPS, package for you ma'am, I left it by the door, have a nice day" and kept on walking. The 80-yard march back to the package car seemed like a mile, and I was never so glad to get back in the driver seat. I have had several deliveries for that house in the years since, and the lady and I have never once spoken of the incident. What happens out on route....stays out on route.

I wouldn't have brought it that far into the garage. I take one step into the garage and drop in off to the side (so a car can't run it over).

old levi's

blank space

I gotta tell you, you were processing a whole lot of information in a short span of time!

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!

I would have taken it over to her as soon as I noticed her. Handed her the package and said Thank You very much!!

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner
I do the same. I do all the business, sort my truck pretty much stop for stop while checking for misloads. Then take my lunch. The rest of the day is smooth sailing until i get messages for OCP's at businesses that i was just at 2 mins ago. WTF people.

DUDE, I hate that so much. Especially OCP's @ places that already have a pick up schedule and you've already picked up. Must b a new guy in shop, LoL..

I clean out an extended add cut area that is more ghetto then my own just to get a bunch of OCP's causing me to break out of "MY" plan and go back there, killing My efficiency. All to pick up an RS.

Ghetto people with there R.S. OCP kills the day again.

You get there and they tell you to hold on so they can box,tap it with medical bandage tap.

Worst one was an OCP that I had for an old lady who was R.S.ing a RECLINER chair.
She thought I was bringing her the box!!!!!!!

Said sorry, We don't do that. It needs to be packaged and ready with label on to ship before I get here.

Later, I had a CALL TAG for this same lady for the same Recliner. 3 days in a row. I arrive and she and hubby say, " You was supposed to call me and let me know u were coming over"

Each day, I explain the same thing. I'll b back in the afternoon tomarrow. Each day, same response and not ready.

NR1,2,3 done yes they r out of my hands now.

NOPE, Get a new CALL TAG 2 weeks later. SAME EXACT THING OVER AGAIN.

3rd attempt, (reality is it was my 7th, 1 OCP and call tag twice), She has a home depot box and I feel horrable that we have'nt serviced her. I tell her let me try to box it up. BOX is no were near big enough to fit RECLINER in. Couldn't do pick up. Been over a month now so I assume they gave up or found an alternative.

This OCP's to resi for R.S. is bull crap. We are not PIZZA DELIVERY BOYS. Why do we do this when we have our 160+ stops and pick up schedules. if we get them early then we can treat themas an on area pick up but when u clean an area out and on opposite side of town it's a big waste of service.

Tell gheto to drop R.S. off themselves.

themidnightoil

Walking up on a woman sunbathing nude. Its signature required, and she has her earbuds in....ummmmm....

20 years agao early in my driving career, I was making a delivery to an apartment when I rang the bell. I heard a woman's voice say "it's open... come in". without saying a think, I opened the door and was setting the package inside the door when a toppless woman turned the corner. we both were embarrassed. she thought I was her boyfriend.

another time last year I was making a signature required delivery and could hear a couple 'doing the dance of love' inside the home. I left without knocking and did some other stops then went back to the home an hour later. when I drove up to the home, there was a man leaving and the lady signed for the package as I held the diad. the man leaving was not her husband and I was glad I had some wet-wipes. this was really awkward because I never said anything to her husband. just how do you say something like that to someone you don't know very well. a few weeks ago I saw the woman outside and she has a 'bun in the oven'. this will be their/her 3rd child.

have also gone to the door with people in an all-out bitching fight. nothing like ringing the doorbell to that.

themidnightoil

another time that was akward was a lady in a bikini top was holding her little dog that was trying to get down. the dogs paw got inside of the top and her saggy boob fell out in front of her whole family. I see that lady all the time and we just laugh about it now.

Indecisi0n

DUDE, I hate that so much. Especially OCP's @ places that already have a pick up schedule and you've already picked up. Must b a new guy in shop, LoL..

I clean out an extended add cut area that is more ghetto then my own just to get a bunch of OCP's causing me to break out of "MY" plan and go back there, killing My efficiency. All to pick up an RS.

Ghetto people with there R.S. OCP kills the day again.

You get there and they tell you to hold on so they can box,tap it with medical bandage tap.

Worst one was an OCP that I had for an old lady who was R.S.ing a RECLINER chair.
She thought I was bringing her the box!!!!!!!

Said sorry, We don't do that. It needs to be packaged and ready with label on to ship before I get here.

Later, I had a CALL TAG for this same lady for the same Recliner. 3 days in a row. I arrive and she and hubby say, " You was supposed to call me and let me know u were coming over"

Each day, I explain the same thing. I'll b back in the afternoon tomarrow. Each day, same response and not ready.

NR1,2,3 done yes they r out of my hands now.

NOPE, Get a new CALL TAG 2 weeks later. SAME EXACT THING OVER AGAIN.

3rd attempt, (reality is it was my 7th, 1 OCP and call tag twice), She has a home depot box and I feel horrable that we have'nt serviced her. I tell her let me try to box it up. BOX is no were near big enough to fit RECLINER in. Couldn't do pick up. Been over a month now so I assume they gave up or found an alternative.

This OCP's to resi for R.S. is bull crap. We are not PIZZA DELIVERY BOYS. Why do we do this when we have our 160+ stops and pick up schedules. if we get them early then we can treat themas an on area pick up but when u clean an area out and on opposite side of town it's a big waste of service.

Tell gheto to drop R.S. off themselves.

I would have scanned it "given to customer."

Friday I am trying to just get the hell out to go home. I get an OCP call for a certain business that i already dropped off to. OK whatever. I break off and pick up the package. I am now banging out my res trying to leave and "beep beep" goes the DIAD. Another OCP at the same location! Very annoying.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
20 years agao early in my driving career, I was making a delivery to an apartment when I rang the bell. I heard a woman's voice say "it's open... come in". without saying a thing, I opened the door and was setting the package inside the door when a toppless woman turned the corner. we both were embarrassed. she thought I was her boyfriend. .

Unless I know for a fact that I am dealing with an elderly/disabled customer who needs me to bring the package inside, I never open the door myself. I dont care how many times I hear them yelling "come in", I stay on the porch until they come to the door and open it.

themidnightoil

Unless I know for a fact that I am dealing with an elderly/disabled customer who needs me to bring the package inside, I never open the door myself. I dont care how many times I hear them yelling "come in", I stay on the porch until they come to the door and open it.

yes.... it was a learning experience for sure.

C

chuchu

This is why I stop and sort my next 30 or so stops the 10 mins you waste looking for the package you could have sorted half your car and not have had that problem becasue you would have known that the package wasn't there.
oR JUST LEFT ON THE TAIL END OF THE 8000 SECTION BECAUSE THEY SENT THE PRELOAD HOME AND A SUP THREW IT IN THE CAR TO GET U OUT OF THE BLDG.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
This is why I stop and sort my next 30 or so stops the 10 mins you waste looking for the package you could have sorted half your car and not have had that problem becasue you would have known that the package wasn't there.
Dunno what kind of route you have but take a look at mine in some of my other posts. Needless to say, I can't walk through my truck till noon most days. By that time it's over 120 in the back. Besides, management has informed me many times that we aren't paid to sort, we're paid to deliver. I just work as instructed, and that includes not having 30 min gaps to explain everyday to a management crew that refuses to correct the real problem

menotyou

bella amicizia
I never sorted. They dont give Preload enough time to do the job correctly, like they use to, so be it. If I have to search, that is apparently what they wanted me to do.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

As soon as I hear "come in" I place the pkg by the door and am usually at least halfway back to the PC by the time they open the door. As Sober said, if I know that the customer is elderly/disabled, I will wait for them and put the pkg where they want it.

As soon as I hear "come in" I place the pkg by the door and am usually at least halfway back to the PC by the time they open the door. As Sober said, if I know that the customer is elderly/disabled, I will wait for them and put the pkg where they want it.

Glad to know youd wait for me to tell you where to stick the package...........

robot

Has A Large Member
While doing DR's a man flagged me down on the street asking if I could swing by his house and pick up a package. He said it was too big for him to carry it to me.

I don't know why I asked this but I said "How big is your package?". He gave me an odd look then smiled and said "pretty big"...