Back to the Mariana Trench

It will be fine

You're the one singing the blues and crying your eyes out....and you tell me that I don't know anything about business? lmao.
I just pointed out that your semi-coherent ramblings don’t reflect reality. Now is a great time for corporate to move volume from the Express network into the Ground network because of all the excess capacity at Ground.

For whatever reason suits you at the time, you think that’ll be bad for contractors.

bacha29

I just pointed out that your semi-coherent ramblings don’t reflect reality. Now is a great time for corporate to move volume from the Express network into the Ground network because of all the excess capacity at Ground.

For whatever reason suits you at the time, you think that’ll be bad for contractors.
You were the one who was crying the other day about the 2-3% margins. Sure they can try to move some Express over to you for the simple reason that you'll do it for less which in turn improves Fat Freddy's margins. That much is for certain but there's no guarantee that it will improve yours.

The real question is how long will you have it? Are they doing this because they believe that it will shield their RLA exemption or are they doing this to prepare for the repeal of that exemption and what it could mean?

In his SOTU last night Biden spelled out his goal to make it easier for workers to vote on whether or not to form a union. If barriers to union representation do go down scab truckers like you are not likely be spared from attempts to organize. .

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
I’m real sure that there’s gonna be an endless supply of suckers lining up to haul Fred’s stupid late freight for peanuts while UPS drivers rake in all the cash. There’ll be plenty of furniture, trampolines, windows and all sorts of heavy packages to make the job that much more enticing to retain employees. Yeah, right.

bacha29

I’m real sure that there’s gonna be an endless supply of suckers lining up to haul Fred’s stupid late freight for peanuts while UPS drivers rake in all the cash. There’ll be plenty of furniture, trampolines, windows and all sorts of heavy packages to make the job that much more enticing to retain employees. Yeah, right.
Truck bumpers, backhoe buckets steam jenny's appliances and anything else UPS doesn't want or what Fat Freddy can steal off the LTL's All for half the wages and zero benefits.
I recently attended my school district's joint operating committee meeting. I was surprised to learn that 64% of the junior class of one of the participating school districts are attending the vocational/technical school to study and become proficient in one or more of the skilled trades. Why? Retirements by people from those trades are opening up a lot of jobs.

When you compare what a union skilled trades job pays compared to what Ground contractors will be able to pay in the aftermath of what will likely be very modest increases in FXG contractor rates.....guess who's going to get the more productive and better character workers?

It will be fine

You were the one who was crying the other day about the 2-3% margins. Sure they can try to move some Express over to you for the simple reason that you'll do it for less which in turn improves Fat Freddy's margins. That much is for certain but there's no guarantee that it will improve yours.

The real question is how long will you have it? Are they doing this because they believe that it will shield their RLA exemption or are they doing this to prepare for the repeal of that exemption and what it could mean?

In his SOTU last night Biden spelled out his goal to make it easier for workers to vote on whether or not to form a union. If barriers to union representation do go down scab truckers like you are not likely be spared from attempts to organize. .
Oh, well if Biden said something in the SOTU speech I better be worried. No doubt his lofty goals will sail through congress and magically all the workers in the country will unionize. You do know my drivers could form a union now, right?

It will be fine

Truck bumpers, backhoe buckets steam jenny's appliances and anything else UPS doesn't want or what Fat Freddy can steal off the LTL's All for half the wages and zero benefits.
I recently attended my school district's joint operating committee meeting. I was surprised to learn that 64% of the junior class of one of the participating school districts are attending the vocational/technical school to study and become proficient in one or more of the skilled trades. Why? Retirements by people from those trades are opening up a lot of jobs.

When you compare what a union skilled trades job pays compared to what Ground contractors will be able to pay in the aftermath of what will likely be very modest increases in FXG contractor rates.....guess who's going to get the more productive and better character workers?
Whoa!! Skilled trades can earn more than entry level delivery jobs?!!!!! Amazing! That changes everything, I better declare bankruptcy now.

Spam

Let me guess, you rambled on at that meeting, until everyone left🤦🏻‍♂️

bacha29

Whoa!! Skilled trades can earn more than entry level delivery jobs?!!!!! Amazing! That changes everything, I better declare bankruptcy now.
With birth rates slowing, retirements increasing and skill trades offering far more than you could ever offer the supply of unsuspecting labor who haven't yet caught onto the scam scheme you're running might get pretty thin. But you'll still be fine as long as you don't expect them to stay any length of time.

bacha29

Let me guess, you rambled on at that meeting, until everyone left🤦🏻‍♂️
There as an observer. And I did learn something when it came to demographics and the direction the up and coming labor force is headed in.

"Rambling" as you claim? It was still interesting enough to capture your attention (unfortunately a very short spanned one overall) then it is definitely not rambling.

Guitarman01

Yea I dont see how Fedex puts all their stock in contracted drivers. I'm sure there are plenty of decent ground drivers but you can't have the same high expectations or standards when the pay and benefits of ground are all over the place. I assume less would consider it a career as opposed to express.

bacha29

Yea I dont see how Fedex puts all their stock in contracted drivers. I'm sure there are plenty of decent ground drivers but you can't have the same high expectations or standards when the pay and benefits of ground are all over the place. I assume less would consider it a career as opposed to express.
Indeed. There is no consistency in terms of pay, benefits, expectations, workloads or disciplines from one contractor to the next outside of the fact that they all pay less.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
IF true, and IF Ground becomes essentially the predominant delivery service of FedEx, then this decision is a gamble, and, much like Fred S in Vegas during the birth of this company, it will survive only IF the gamble pays off.

It's a wager I want no part of.

lilwizbiz

Ohio. I'm not sure they were given any notice. Drivers are finding out through the grape vine. I will post any new info. Eventually all of Express will be absorbed by Ground. It's been in the works for years. The question is when will the shift happen nationwide?
Lol went from all express being let go to heard through the grapevines. BS as always smh

HD219

You as a ground driver get bits and pieces of information from your contractor. Some of it may be true but most of it is hearsay and misinformation. We all know FedEx would cream their pants if it can go all contractor model. What you don't understand is it's a lot more complicated to do with varying state laws and federal laws along with executing such plan without imploding. Express is the biggest operation FedEx has and they can't just snap their fingers and make it all ground. Now why don't you give some details of the operation? Size of both stations number of employees, volume, what type of area and then we can talk. Otherwise you're just trolling.
Where did I say it's going to happen over night? We've been getting express volume for years. FedEx is going to start combining Express with Ground in rural areas. The smaller markets. There's more signs Express is going away than there is of it sticking around. You can't see that because your head is so far up your hole.

Gone fishin

Where did I say it's going to happen over night? We've been getting express volume for years. FedEx is going to start combining Express with Ground in rural areas. The smaller markets. There's more signs Express is going away than there is of it sticking around. You can't see that because your head is so far up your hole.
Obviously express will never go away , they would of done that 20 years ago. The question is if ground is worth the loss of many accounts because of the quality of the experience.
Meaning is the on time delivery worth possibly handling it over to an eventual express company.
We’ll all soon find out within 3-5 years

Serf

I don’t know what’s going on but seems like every Tuesday, weather or not we get our start time pushed back 30-50 minutes…even if it’s not weather related in the A.M.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
I don’t know what’s going on but seems like every Tuesday, weather or not we get our start time pushed back 30-50 minutes…even if it’s not weather related in the A.M.
Tuesdays were always the worst at my station. Heavy Monday outbound, along with lack of enough help at the hubs, ramps and aircraft delays all factored in.