Barney Frank

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Question: In the laws passed by congress and signed by Bush or any Bush "orders", did any of them include "interest only loans" for people with bad credit or people that could not make the payments?

Was it the president or the banks that presented the loan papers to be signed? How were these interest only deals presented? Was there a clear explanation that the payments would increase by 2/3 on a house that would know owe more on than the original sale price? Did Bush order the lending institutions for hide that pertinent information from buyers?

I also have to wonder what % of the fore closures were do to people loosing their jobs and having basically no income?
Over the years, there has been a very basic "rule" of lending institutions that ones monthly house payment not exceed 1/4 of their monthly income. Did Bush order the banks to ignore that? If he did order that, where and how was the order issued?

Cool, now youre asking the right questions. I appreciate that. Lets examine some of them (Time constraints) NOT ALL the changes to the regulatory system of housing needed congressional approval. Only the de regulation process allowed the banking and mortgage industry to create the "FINANCIAL INSTRUMENTS" necessary to assist low income, and bad credit buyer. BUSH directly states that BAD CREDIT was a barrier to home ownership and HE was going to REMOVE that "BARRIER"

BUSH called for the creation of NEW FINANCIAL INSTRUMENTS (aka interest only loans) to assist in the first time home buyer process. You are correct, BUSH encouraged both FANNIE AND FREDDIE to set aside 440 billion to "COVER" the millions of homes he was proposing to be built. At a median price of 100K, that 440 billion would have been enough to cover the bet. Unfortunately, the runaway prices changed the original model and both FANNIE and FREDDIE were unable to cover the losses.

How did this happen? Easy, Builders at first used BUSH's idea of 100K homes and they sold at a pace faster than they could be built. Seeing this, the builders started raising prices on the homes in phases. The rate of sales was still outperforming building rates so they raised prices again. What wasnt considered by BUSH or his advisors but caught by Alan Greenspan in 2002 was that the original 440 billion dollars set aside for this massive housing project would soon be in the red as home prices skyrocketed.

friend and friend wasnt able to cover home loans of 1 million or more. It wasnt able to cover homes at 500K either. The original BUSH plan called for 440 billion, but as homes reached outrageous prices, it was obvious that lenders would be stuck holding the bag, so the mortgage selling process started to break down.

Only insiders knew this. When it comes to Barney Frank, when he made the statement about friend and friend, this was at the begining when the 440 billion was in the bank and it was suppose to cover any losses. Frank had no idea what was happening to pricing and trends.

At that time, everyone was making money so nobody wanted to pay attention. Only Alan Greenspan called it like it was and he was not only ignored, but replaced by BUSH.

BUSH clearly went after the low income bad credit market and says so himself.

BUSH:
I set an ambitious goal. It's one that I believe we can achieve. It's a clear goal, that by the end of this decade we'll increase thenumber of minority homeowners by at least 5.5 million families. (Applause.)
Some may think that's a stretch. I don't think it is. I think it is realistic. I know we're going to have to work together to achieve it. But when we do our communities will be stronger and so will our economy. Achieving the goal is going to require some good policies out of Washington. And it's going to require a strong commitment from those of you involved in the housing industry.

BUSH:
And so here are some of the ways to address the issue. First, the single greatest barrier to first time homeownership is a high downpayment. It is really hard for many, many, low income families to make the high downpayment. And so that's why I propose and urge Congress to fully fund the American Dream Downpayment Fund. This will use money, taxpayers' money to help a qualified, low income buyer make a downpayment. And that's important.

BUSH:
One of the barriers to homeownership is the inability to make a downpayment. And if one of the goals is to increase homeownership, it makes sense to help people pay that downpayment. We believe that the amount of money in our budget, fully approved by Congress, will help 40,000 families every year realize the dream of owning a home. (Applause.) Part of the success of Park Place is that the city of Atlanta already does this. And we want to make the plan more robust. We want to make it more full all across America.

BUSH:
A third major barrier is the complexity and difficulty of the home buying process. There's a lot of fine print on these forms. And it bothers people, it makes them nervous. And so therefore, what Mel has agreed to do, and Alphonso Jackson has agreed to do is to streamline the process, make the rules simpler, so everybody understands what they are -- makes the closing much less complicated. We certainly don't want there to be a fine print preventing people from owning their home. We can change the print, and we've got to. We've got to be wise about how we deal with the closing documents and all the regulations, but also wise about how we help people understand what it means to own their home and the obligations and the opportunities.

BUSH:
And so these are important initiatives that we can do at the federal government. And the federal government, obviously, has to play an important role, and we will. We will. I mean, when I lay out a goal, I mean it. But we also have got to bring others into the process, most particularly the real estate industry. After all, the real estate industry benefits when people are encouraged to buy homes. It's in their self interest that we encourage people to buy homes

BUSH:
That's why I've challenged the industry leaders all across the country to get after it for this goal, to stay focused, to make sure that we achieve a more secure America, by achieving the goal of 5.5 million new minority home owners. I call it America's home ownership challenge.
BUSH:
And let me talk about some of the progress which we have made to date, as an example for others to follow. First of all, government sponsored corporations that help create our mortgage system -- I introduced two of the leaders here today -- they call those people Fannie May and Freddie Mac, as well as the federal home loan banks, will increase their commitment to minority markets by more than $440 billion. I want to thank Leland and Franklin for that commitment. It's a commitment that conforms to their charters, as well, and also conforms to their hearts.

BUSH:
This means they (Fannie and Freddie) will purchase more loans made by banks after Americans, Hispanics and other minorities, which will encourage homeownership. Freddie Mac will launch 25 initiatives to eliminate homeownership barriers. Under one of these, consumers with poor credit will be able to get a mortgage with an interest rate that automatically goes down after a period of consistent payments.

BUSH:
To help more Americans achieve the American dream of owning their own home, President Bush set a new public-private goal of increasing the supply of affordable housing by seven million over the next 10 years. To meet this goal, the President is calling for passage of his Homeownership Tax Credit and encouraging communities to reduce regulatory barriers through the Department of Housing and Urban Development's America's Affordable Communities Initiative and the President's new Opportunity Zones initiative.

BUSH:
Challenging the Private Sector. The President is calling upon the housing industry, including the, Federal Home Loan Banks, the homebuilders, and the mortgage and finance industry to join with Federal, State, and local governments to help America meet the goal of increasing the supply of affordable housing.

BUSH bragging:
Congress and the President have worked together to accomplish important elements of his strategy - providing downpayment support for low-income families and good financing options for rural buyers. Under President Bush's leadership, overall U.S. homeownership in the second quarter of 2004 reached an all-time high of 69.2 percent. Single-family housing affordability is at its highest level in 30 years, and minority homeownership set a new record-high of 51 percent in the second quarter.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Here, BUSH clearly spells out how he was going to flood the market with new homes by giving home builders huge tax breaks (handouts) to build the homes.

BUSH:
Over the next five years the initiative will provide home builders and therefore home buyers with -- home builders with $2 billion in tax credits to bring affordable homes and therefore provide an additional supply for home buyers. It's really important for us to understand that we can provide incentive for people to build homes where there's a lack of affordable housing.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Here BUSH outlines how the sub prime industry was going to be payed for using tax payer monies. NOT only was President BUSH ordering the assistance of downpayments to low income buyers with bad credit, he was also ordering SECTION 8 to make the mortgages for these people instead of using that money for rent/leases. These are his own words, policies and actions folks!

BUSH:
And, of course, one of the larger obstacles to minority homeownership is financing, is the ability to have their dream financed. Right now, we have a program that all of you are familiar with, maybe our fellow Americans are, and that's what they call a Section 8 housing program, that provides billions of dollars in vouchers to help low-income Americans with their rent. It encourages leasing. We think it's important that we use those vouchers, that federal money to help low-income Americans go from being somebody who leases to somebody who owns; that we use the Section 8 program to not only help with down payment, but to help with continuing monthly mortgage payments after they're into their new home. It is a -- it is a way to help us meet this dream of 5.5 million additional families owning their home.

I CHALLENGE ANY OF YOU TO PROVE THAT BARNEY FRANK DID THE SAME! In fact, I CHALLENGE ANY OF YOU TO PROVE THAT ANYONE OTHER THAN BUSH DID THIS TO AMERICA.

Peace.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Here, BUSH expands his call for more low income home buyers directly.

BUSH:
Last June, I issued a challenge to everyone involved in the housing industry to help increase the number of minority families to be home owners. And what I'm talking about, I'm talking about your bankers and your brokers and developers, as well as members of faith-based community and community programs. And the response to the home owners challenge has been very strong and very gratifying. Twenty-two public and private partners have signed up to help meet our national goal. Partners in the mortgage finance industry are encouraging homeownership by purchasing more loans made by banks to African Americans, Hispanics and other minorities.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
With all this being said, all the BUSH quotes, how can ANYONE blame Barney Frank? Provide any link, statement, action or video where Barney Frank encourages, promotes or cheerleeds the selling of homes to low income bad credit buyers.

I think Ive had a reasonable debate without any name calling, I would appreciate the same in the responses.

Peace.

Cool, now youre asking the right questions. I appreciate that. Lets examine some of them (Time constraints) NOT ALL the changes to the regulatory system of housing needed congressional approval. Only the de regulation process allowed the banking and mortgage industry to create the "FINANCIAL INSTRUMENTS" necessary to assist low income, and bad credit buyer. BUSH directly states that BAD CREDIT was a barrier to home ownership and HE was going to REMOVE that "BARRIER"

BUSH called for the creation of NEW FINANCIAL INSTRUMENTS (aka interest only loans) to assist in the first time home buyer process. You are correct, BUSH encouraged both FANNIE AND FREDDIE to set aside 440 billion to "COVER" the millions of homes he was proposing to be built. At a median price of 100K, that 440 billion would have been enough to cover the bet. Unfortunately, the runaway prices changed the original model and both FANNIE and FREDDIE were unable to cover the losses.

How did this happen? Easy, Builders at first used BUSH's idea of 100K homes and they sold at a pace faster than they could be built. Seeing this, the builders started raising prices on the homes in phases. The rate of sales was still outperforming building rates so they raised prices again. What wasnt considered by BUSH or his advisors but caught by Alan Greenspan in 2002 was that the original 440 billion dollars set aside for this massive housing project would soon be in the red as home prices skyrocketed.

friend and friend wasnt able to cover home loans of 1 million or more. It wasnt able to cover homes at 500K either. The original BUSH plan called for 440 billion, but as homes reached outrageous prices, it was obvious that lenders would be stuck holding the bag, so the mortgage selling process started to break down.

Only insiders knew this. When it comes to Barney Frank, when he made the statement about friend and friend, this was at the begining when the 440 billion was in the bank and it was suppose to cover any losses. Frank had no idea what was happening to pricing and trends.

At that time, everyone was making money so nobody wanted to pay attention. Only Alan Greenspan called it like it was and he was not only ignored, but replaced by BUSH.

BUSH clearly went after the low income bad credit market and says so himself.

You did a lot of work compiling this post and did well at not calling any names. Congratulations.

In the 10 or 11 quotes by Bush, only one even mentions poor credit (I believe that was transcribed from the video). In that one quote, he did say.

Freddie Mac will launch 25 initiatives to eliminate homeownership barriers.
Under one of these, consumers with poor credit will be able to get a mortgage with an interest rate that automatically goes down after a period of consistent payments. (gotta wonder if those interest rates ever went down)
What wasn't said was the he ordered FM to do this, maybe he did or maybe he didn't but left it up to FM to figure a path for more minorities to buy homes and this was one of the methods they chose. I can't prove this one way or another but haven't found anywhere stating that was one of Bushes ideas (orders).

I liked the idea of reducing the DP for certain lower income people, otherwise buying an affordable home would never be possible. On the other hand I thought the zero down payment was absolutely ridiculous for more than one reason. Also I don't recall the interest only mortgages being mentioned. Was that one of FM's 25 "initiatives" or was that one of Bushes "orders"? That doesn't even sound remotely like a good idea, for one, if a person can't come up with a DP today, how are they going to come up with one in fives years to refi . Another thing that happened to many of the people was variable interest rates that caused monthly payments to increase. I doubt that was an order from Bush.

In all of the quotes I didn't see, ordered or mandated although I did see "encourage" and "challenge", not the quote same thing. I'm pretty sure Bush never intended for people to buy houses they could not make the payments on. The section 8 thing seems to be an after thought, and not entirely a bad idea on the surface. It makes more sense to me to help people pay a mortgage than to pay their rent.

True that the deregulation allowed for the financial institutions to grant loans to people with bad credit, but was that truly the goal? I don't see any evidence of that, perhaps that came about due to friend&friend being the scape goat for poor judgement of the lenders.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Bill Clinton's drive to increase homeownership went way too far[/h]Posted by: Peter Coy on February 27, 2008
bill%20clinton.jpg
Add President Clinton to the long list of people who deserve a share of the blame for the housing bubble and bust. A recently re-exposed document shows that his administration went to ridiculous lengths to increase the national homeownership rate. It promoted paper-thin down payments and pushed for ways to get lenders to give mortgage loans to first-time buyers with shaky financing and incomes. It’s clear now that the erosion of lending standards pushed prices up by increasing demand, and later led to waves of defaults by people who never should have bought a home in the first place.

President Bush continued the practices because they dovetailed with his Ownership Society goals, and of course Congress was strongly behind the push. But Clinton and his administration must shoulder some of the blame.
In writing this blog entry, I’m following the lead of Joseph R. Mason, who is a finance professor at Drexel University’s LeBow College of Business, a senior fellow at the University of Pennsylvania’s Wharton School, and a consultant at Criterion Economics. Here is a link to a piece that he wrote on Feb. 26.
The Clinton-era document that Mason cites—“The National Homeownership Strategy: Partners in the American Dream”—was hiding in plain sight
on the website of the Department of Housing & Urban Development until last year, when according to Mason it was removed (probably because the housing bust made it seem embarrassing to the department). Mason credits Joshua Rosner of Graham Fisher & Co. with saving a copy of it before it was expunged.
The National Homeownership Strategy began in 1994 when Clinton directed HUD Secretary Henry Cisneros to come up with a plan, and Cisneros convened what HUD called a "historic meeting" of private and public housing-industry organizations in August 1994. The group eventually produced a plan, of which Mason sent me a PDF of Chapter 4, the one that argues for creative measures to promote homeownership.
The very worst idea in the plan, which fortunately never gained approval, was to let first-time homebuyers freely tap their IRA and 401(k) retirement-savings plans with no penalty to scrounge up a downpayment. That, HUD estimated, would have "benefited" 600,000 families in the first five years.
Plenty of other ideas in the plan did become reality, though. Knowing what we know now about the housing bust, the earnest language in the document seems faintly ridiculous. Here's an excerpt. Read it closely and you can see the seeds of disaster being planted:
For many potential homebuyers, the lack of cash available to accumulate the required downpayment and closing costs is the major impediment to purchasing a home. Other households do not have sufficient available income to to make the monthly payments on mortgages financed at market interest rates for standard loan terms. Financing strategies, fueled by the creativity and resources of the private and public sectors, should address both of these financial barriers to homeownership.
Note the praise for "creativity." That kind of creativity in stretching boundaries we could use less of. Mason puts it well: "It strikes me as reckless to promote home sales to individuals in such constrained financial predicaments."

Lue C Fur

Evil member
I think Ive had a reasonable debate without any name calling, I would appreciate the same in the responses.

It does not matter what anyone shows you because you deny, lie, or twist the facts to fit your lefty agenda. I would just appreciate you telling everyone my other screen name that you accused me of having. Run away...run...

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll

Bill Clinton's drive to increase homeownership went way too far

Posted by: Peter Coy on February 27, 2008
bill clinton.jpg
Add President Clinton to the long list of people who deserve a share of the blame for the housing bubble and bust. A recently re-exposed document shows that his administration went to ridiculous lengths to increase the national homeownership rate. It promoted paper-thin down payments and pushed for ways to get lenders to give mortgage loans to first-time buyers with shaky financing and incomes. It’s clear now that the erosion of lending standards pushed prices up by increasing demand, and later led to waves of defaults by people who never should have bought a home in the first place.
President Bush continued the practices because they dovetailed with his Ownership Society goals, and of course Congress was strongly behind the push. But Clinton and his administration must shoulder some of the blame.
In writing this blog entry, I’m following the lead of Joseph R. Mason, who is a finance professor at Drexel University’s LeBow College of Business, a senior fellow at the University of Pennsylvania’s Wharton School, and a consultant at Criterion Economics. Here is a link to a piece that he wrote on Feb. 26.
The Clinton-era document that Mason cites—“The National Homeownership Strategy: Partners in the American Dream”—was hiding in plain sight
on the website of the Department of Housing & Urban Development until last year, when according to Mason it was removed (probably because the housing bust made it seem embarrassing to the department). Mason credits Joshua Rosner of Graham Fisher & Co. with saving a copy of it before it was expunged.
The National Homeownership Strategy began in 1994 when Clinton directed HUD Secretary Henry Cisneros to come up with a plan, and Cisneros convened what HUD called a "historic meeting" of private and public housing-industry organizations in August 1994. The group eventually produced a plan, of which Mason sent me a PDF of Chapter 4, the one that argues for creative measures to promote homeownership.
The very worst idea in the plan, which fortunately never gained approval, was to let first-time homebuyers freely tap their IRA and 401(k) retirement-savings plans with no penalty to scrounge up a downpayment. That, HUD estimated, would have "benefited" 600,000 families in the first five years.
Plenty of other ideas in the plan did become reality, though. Knowing what we know now about the housing bust, the earnest language in the document seems faintly ridiculous. Here's an excerpt. Read it closely and you can see the seeds of disaster being planted:
For many potential homebuyers, the lack of cash available to accumulate the required downpayment and closing costs is the major impediment to purchasing a home. Other households do not have sufficient available income to to make the monthly payments on mortgages financed at market interest rates for standard loan terms. Financing strategies, fueled by the creativity and resources of the private and public sectors, should address both of these financial barriers to homeownership.

Note the praise for "creativity." That kind of creativity in stretching boundaries we could use less of. Mason puts it well: "It strikes me as reckless to promote home sales to individuals in such constrained financial predicaments."

THis would be great if it were FACTS and not an OPINION PIECE by a right wing writer. Show me the White House transcripts where Clinton promotes or "encourages" any of the things outlined in the BUSH home ownership society.

Then youd have a case.

Until then, just another opinion piece filled with half truths and twisted facts to suit a political agenda.

Peace.