Becoming a supervisor

jcUPS95

So I'm becoming a part time supervisor and I'm just wondering what things I should know before I start the process tomorrow.
I'm most likely going to be a training supervisor so I know I'll need to know the 8 keys to lifting and lowering and the 5 steps to preventing slips and falls. Any other technical things you guys can think of? And where I can find the information? Pretty much anything you had to learn to start working at UPS, can't remember half that stuff.. I don't want to go into this unprepared.

jcUPS95

Well I'm not looking for anything long term, just looking to have a decent paying par time job to get me through the rest of college. Any tips and resources would be very helpful.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Ant12

If you don't plan to have a future with UPS, and want a good resume builder then it's great. It pays decent while you're in college. I see a lot of sups not use their degree though and stay part time here after they graduate for whatever reason...not too much opportunity for advancement in management

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
So I'm becoming a part time supervisor and I'm just wondering what things I should know before I start the process tomorrow.
I'm most likely going to be a training supervisor so I know I'll need to know the 8 keys to lifting and lowering and the 5 steps to preventing slips and falls. Any other technical things you guys can think of? And where I can find the information? Pretty much anything you had to learn to start working at UPS, can't remember half that stuff.. I don't want to go into this unprepared.
I would recommend not doing it. It is literally the worst job at UPS. You are going to do it anyways though just like everyone else I warn. Just because you get to wear a polo and khakis. You are going to be at the bottom of the totem pole. They are going to treat you terribly. Honestly if you just stay an hourly you will have a lot less stress, and a lot more freedom than you would if you are a part time sup. They literally take anyone that will do it, so it's not like they hand selected you because you are special. You might not want to stay for long at UPS but what if a sweet job spot opens up later on, and you could have done that, but you blew it because you are a part time supervisor.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Bear in mind that there is a pretty high insurance deductible ( I think its $500 each) for the mandatory castration and lobotomy, so you will need to plan on paying that up front. Your best bet is to try and have both procedures done at the same time which will help reduce your out-of-pocket expenses for an overnight stay in the hospital room. Good luck with your career choice.

Johnny Paycheck

Speak softly and carry a big stick.
My advice, stay where you are for a few more weeks and ask some other hourlies who have been there longer about it. They always try to go for the new guys before they know any better. Some sups will even be straight up with you. I had one tell us during break (We had a new guy who was considering it) that he wouldn't become a sup, if given a chance to go back 5 years.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
images-1.jpeg

The dark side beckons.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
Don't apply if you are epileptic or otherwise prone to seizures.

At the end of your re-education, they place you in a dark room with strobe lights where you hear "union workers are evil" blaring from a speaker on the wall for 72 hours straight.

Good luck.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Bear in mind that there is a pretty high insurance deductible ( I think its $500 each) for the mandatory castration and lobotomy, so you will need to plan on paying that up front. Your best bet is to try and have both procedures done at the same time which will help reduce your out-of-pocket expenses for an overnight stay in the hospital room. Good luck with your career choice.

I strongly disagree. If the OP is just planning on doing this while completing his degree, UPS will be a great addition to his resume.

To the OP---I applaud your decision to challenge yourself and wish you well during your short stint with the company and in your future.

Keep in mind that you will get infantile responses from those unable or unwilling to challenge themselves.

Last edited:

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
I strongly disagree. If the OP is just planning on doing this while completing his degree, UPS will be a great addition to his resume.

To the OP---I applaud your decision to challenge yourself and wish you well during your short stint with the company and in your future.
Brown nose.

MassWineGuy

Besides all the jokes, I'm sure being a sup has some advantages. But the main thing I'd worry about is that you could get a call out of the blue that you're now working in a center 75 miles away. You'd have no recourse.

jcUPS95

Well regardless of what anyone says, I am going to take the job. I wasn't hand picked, I asked to get the job. It's not as bad as it must be where you guys work.
Any help would be appreciated unless you want to keep bitching about the company like every other employee does.

Sent using BrownCafe App

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Just know that the first day of being a part time supervisor is the first day of the last days of your UPS career.

Part time supervisors get "pinned" with all the blame when the company fails to perform. Remember, right now, as a union worker, you are only responsible for yourself, but as a supervisor, everyones failures are your failures.

All the err's will fall onto your shoulders and you better be able to handle the heat. The company will eat you alive as they pin every failure onto you until you quit.

Besides the title, what value do you think being a part time supervisor will add to your resume? A part time sup's value carries about the same weight as a manager at a subway sandwich shop.

You will have no control to make decisions. You will do as you are told. You will comply when the company reduces the tools at your disposal to do your job. Then you will suffer the consequences when things dont work out.

Its the same story at every hub across this country.

The turnover of part time supervisors is staggering. Like used rags, you can see piles of them at the end of the year.

I wouldnt do it unless you are connected by having family in the upper ranks of the company.

If you decide to take the spot, then i say thanks for working for UPS in advance.

TOS.