Best way to use map efficiently without wasting time.

Pooter

Ask ur training sup to print out a map of the route and highlight
the streets you have for a quick reference. Tape it to the bulk head door or somewhere you can quicky glance. Obviously, not while driving :)

If you live close I'd say drive around your area on the weekend. Make notes of businesses such as offices. Or anything that seems tough to find.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
But....but....but....the Joe Unions will whine that you are "working off the clock".

I call it an investment in your future.
If management told him he had to do this, I would have issues but from one driver to another I am just making a suggestion. It is up to the newbie to make up their own mind.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Your center can print out a colored map of your area with all of the stops for today highlighted by dots on the map and numbered in order. Our cover drivers use them all the time. I used this when I was learning my new area about a year ago. Basically you connect the dots. It still helps to have a paper map as all of the names of the streets won't show up on the printout.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
But....but....but....the Joe Unions will whine that you are "working off the clock".
I call it an investment in your future.

Great advice, nothing wrong with someone showing some initiative by getting familiar with an area...on or off the clock. What he chooses to do with your advice is up to him.

For $70k+ a year, I'd be gleaning everyone I knew for helpful advice to succeed.

Future

Victory Ride
Great advice, nothing wrong with someone showing some initiative by getting familiar with an area...on or off the clock. What he chooses to do with your advice is up to him.

For $70k+ a year, I'd be gleaning everyone I knew for helpful advice to succeed.
Damn son you better up that 70k a year!!

ebronx

Remember kid is not in Union yet. As long as he knows once he makes book this won't be tolerated by his peers!

Sent using BrownCafe App

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Your center can print out a colored map of your area with all of the stops for today highlighted by dots on the map and numbered in order. Our cover drivers use them all the time. I used this when I was learning my new area about a year ago. Basically you connect the dots. It still helps to have a paper map as all of the names of the streets won't show up on the printout.
Yeah but what helps with the STEVIE WONDER loads? Got to be able to find stuff to use those maps, just sayin lol.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
You need to get the "big picture" of your delivery area and you cant do that with a smart phone.

Buy a map book and make multiple photocopies of the route. Often this involves multiple pages, that you can tape together to make one big map that shows the entire area. You can clip this map above the visor or tape it to the bulkhead door. Since its a photocopy, you can write notes on it denoting address ranges, street breaks, heavy pickups etc. Being able to see a map of the entire route helps you to visualize and memorize it in a way that simply is not possible using a smart phone to find one stop at a time.

stoliohranj

On Saturday's my building doesn't use EDD. I know 4 routes in my building, but I cover a much larger and varying area doing Saturday air. I've found using the Android app Best Route to be advantageous. You can enter addresses and it will plot out a route for you to make a circle among them all. As I've learned more areas I rarely use the routing feature. But I still punch in the addresses before heading out, this gives me a nice map with all my stops, and figure out my own route around.

This is obviously not practical for a full route during the week, my Saturday routes will have maybe 15 stops and 130 miles.

Sent using BrownCafe App