Bible-Thumping Zealots On The BC

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
Boy, I hope we each have our own private heaven. Because if it is a general one filled with cats, that would sound more like hell to me :devil3:.

Jones, I would have to say I dislike cats as much as you like them :happy:.

wkmac

Of course I understand that people dont see things eye to eye on this... but your post simply stated no one is going to heaven. I disagree. Thus my response. No matter what your belief is, it is based on faith that it is true. If anyone can "prove" theirs is the "right" one, then congratulations; you will have done something no one has ever been able to do. All you can do is bring your word and hope to get people to agree with you.

I can really go on and on about this issue at length and in many directions, but I dont want to thump my bible.

Tourist,

If you look back at both my posts, even the one that jerked your chain (one you jerked yourself) it was all done in fun and humor. Notice those smiley faces. And the simple truth is, even taking your belief system, your physical body does remain in the ground and does decay. Outside a metal coffin and concrete encasement, your body over time would become compost for the surrounding plant life. That is a known absolute. Now is it your contention that upon enturnment that the soul re-engages the body and both depart for the heavenly abode? Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought only Jesus had so far accomplished this feat thus his special place in religious history?

The very fact that you failed to even see the humor, that until you chimed up I was happy to leave as my only response here, thus reacting I believe from a position of insecurity in your own beliefs is IMO very telling.

Or was it the fact that I thumbed up FedExer for having the guts to challenge with a contraian POV? I may or may not agree with him on all points but I enjoy those who dare pose a contraian idea. And even in christian circles among people who still believe, there are questions and debate about the origins of the biblical texts. In the Old Testament you had writtings where the word for god was elohim which has a plural context and in other cases god comes from the word yahweh or the YHWH which is used to translate the forbidden speaking of god's name in jewish tradition. This word is singular in form and context. Many suggest the difference has to do with the pre-Eygpt experience when the "people of god" still held to ideals of god that Abram brought out with him for Ur which is located in the old Sumer culture that is driven by polytheism. After the Egyptian experience, monotheistic culture was adopted and the single god wording was the more common form. There the bible itself speaks of different manifestations of what god is or could be. Later god manifests back to a type of polytheism, 3 gods in one (Trinity) that more represents the Zoroasterian ideal, a belief exposed to during the the babylonian deportations in 600 BC and later also manifest in the Roman ideals of Mithraism and Sol Invictus.

The fact is, the only proof of heaven that you have is what is written in a book from a collection of narratives collected over time, written by authors who are of some debate and in fact tell multiple and often conflicting ideas of god as being the actual sources and that the book itself only became cannon after a group of men gathered for political purposes voted on that book in a majority wins setting.

What you also ignored is the possibility that I've looked at science and advanced physics and concluded that it is possible that alternate dimensions may exist and therefore it's also possible that some manner of afterlife may indeed be possible. You also ignore that looking at just the atomic structure of life (matter) and how precise, not even advancing into other phases and means of other forms of matter and life, ie single cell, multi-cell, animal or human, it's hard to ignore that this design may indeed not be random at all and it does show a huge measure of intelligence. Maybe it's just the fact that I see "potential evidence" of some force, energy or higher presence not as something that fits neatly into a personified little box and then manipulated by men for their own purposes but rather a vast potential, one we may not be able to explain or comprehend yet we can sit in awe at the granduer and beauty we can see if we only look.

What about the human soul? Is there such thing or is it once the chemical processes of the body stop we are gone forever? Science is learning that cells develop memory and if true, can we then deny the potential that these memories somehow transfer down to the atomic and sub-atomic levels of matter that continue even after life ends and the decay process is complete? Can DNA, the blueprint of life be extracted well long after death and used today in limited form? Yes it can and what happens if science at some point can take DNA from millions of years ago and re-create life with it and what if the cellular memory can be re-energized along with it? If man "might" be able to do this, then is it equally possible that the architect of the universe could do this as well? Sure but where's my proof? I can only theorize so could I then tell people who don't believe as I that they are lesser beings? I can't and won't but in another time I might commission my ideas be put in writting and advanced and then over time they become embedded as fact in the human mind.

Remember, the universe is vast and in many ways unknowing because of it's vastness. Sounds a bit like what we think of god doesn't it? If the universe and all things were created in some way by design and that across the vastness of space we see that time and events take place that in fact re-cycle matter into new forms, so if the process is true on such large scale, should we not consider the same potential on our own scale? Is it possible that in some future we are "re-cycled" if you will? Sure, but again can I prove it? Nope!

So many would say you can't know the mind of God and I would agree but yet are you not suggesting in many respects via the book known as the bible that one can in fact know the mind of God? The secret formula of winning God's big lottery, the means of knowing future events and the precise and exact manner of how we should live, act and think?

You're free to believe as you like as my own wife and daughters believe and attend church regularly, one daughter plays in the church band. I even encourage it because it works for them. My wife needs a completely different way to see and experience god than I and therefore needs things presented in such a way that she feels comfortable. From my POV, there is no eternal harm believing in heaven and hell or whatever suits your fancy but look at the bright side, if I'm wrong there's one less person in heaven and you'll just enjoy more eternal space to have the good life!
:wink2:

upsgrunt

Do you have absolute proof that your wife will never cheat on you or leave you? No-- you have faith and hope and you cling to to that in place of your proof. Same with religion.
You or anyone else has rights to their opinions about why they think God does not exist. You can lay out your arguments that support your point of view and I can do the same with my beliefs. My problem comes when you try to belittle a person whose beliefs aren't parallel with yours. If this is what you were trying to get across in your thesis above, then I apologize. I couldn't follow it.
Steve

P.S.
Proof of Heaven can be found in the book "Ninety Minutes In Heaven". I can't think of the author, but he was dead for an hour and a half and talks about being in Heaven and what joys await those who spend eternity there.

Last edited:

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
The big "J" said love me and love one another. I thought about that for a while after reading this thread and said to myself "we should love one another and maybe just maybe find a little love in our hearts for Upsocks"
On second thought no its not possible. Having any good feelings for sucks I mean socks that is.To the rest of you have a Merry Festifus Season.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Do you have absolute proof that your wife will never cheat on you or leave you? No-- you have faith and hope and you cling to to that in place of your proof. Same with religion.
You or anyone else has rights to their opinions about why they think God does not exist. You can lay out your arguments that support your point of view and I can do the same with my beliefs. My problem comes when you try to belittle a person whose beliefs aren't parallel with yours. If this is what you were trying to get across in your thesis above, then I apologize. I couldn't follow it.
Steve

P.S.
Proof of Heaven can be found in the book "Ninety Minutes In Heaven". I can't think of the author, but he was dead for an hour and a half and talks about being in Heaven and what joys await those who spend eternity there.

I know someone who had a heart attack and was clinically dead for 12 minutes. When I asked him what he felt or experienced during that time he said "nothing". This guy isn't a Christian, however, and he certainly hasn't led a Godly life (drugs, affairs, drinking etc). I'll see if I can find the book you mention on Amazon.

satellitedriver

I have been "clinically" dead twice in my life.
Once in a car wreck and the other being electrocuted.
In both cases they same things occurred.
Time slowed down and I watched everything in slow motion.
In the car wreck, I was amazed that while my face hit the windshield I could see the cracks slowly crawly out and I could hear them slowly pop.-(hard to describe the sound of breaking glass in slow motion)-
Bam, blackness.
Then, I heard a voice repeating the same words. "Keep your eyes open."
A man come running out of his house and found me bloody lying in the street. He checked me for a pulse. None.
When he rolled me over to try CPR, I woke up and jumped up and felt pretty good, just bruised and cut.
Same thing when I got hit by a 440 volt line.
Slow motion, watched the end of one my finger explode and while I was falling.
Bam, darkness.
I heard the same voice saying,"Keep your eyes open."
My friend did CPR and got my heart started again. I awoke, jumped up and felt good, but bleeding.
I have wondered through the years if I was only hearing my inner ID, for survival.
Now to belief;
I have always been protected by a Guardian Angel and had the rare opportunity to see him face to face in broad day light.
No wings, no Harp ect...., just a smile and a wink from a passing stranger that saved my life in a bad situation.
Another 15 seconds that changed my life.
Sorry, I will not share that intervention.
After decades of Theological study, my core belief is that I am in the dead center of two eternity's and my choice is how I live now.

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
What about the human soul? Is there such thing or is it once the chemical processes of the body stop we are gone forever? Science is learning that cells develop memory and if true, can we then deny the potential that these memories somehow transfer down to the atomic and sub-atomic levels of matter that continue even after life ends and the decay process is complete? Can DNA, the blueprint of life be extracted well long after death and used today in limited form? Yes it can and what happens if science at some point can take DNA from millions of years ago and re-create life with it and what if the cellular memory can be re-energized along with it? If man "might" be able to do this, then is it equally possible that the architect of the universe could do this as well? Sure but where's my proof? I can only theorize so could I then tell people who don't believe as I that they are lesser beings? I can't and won't but in another time I might commission my ideas be put in writting and advanced and then over time they become embedded as fact in the human mind.

Remember, the universe is vast and in many ways unknowing because of it's vastness. Sounds a bit like what we think of god doesn't it? If the universe and all things were created in some way by design and that across the vastness of space we see that time and events take place that in fact re-cycle matter into new forms, so if the process is true on such large scale, should we not consider the same potential on our own scale? Is it possible that in some future we are "re-cycled" if you will? Sure, but again can I prove it? Nope!

Great post.

I am fascinated with what one could call "natural" religion, i.e. religion based solely on what can be observed, as opposed to revelatory religion.

I find comfort knowing that nothing ever is really destroyed as much as it is transformed. My hope is that personal consciousness exists in some form, even if transformed, after our lives have ended.

Without this hope life would have no meaning for me.

tourists24

If you look back at both my posts, even the one that jerked your chain (one you jerked yourself) it was all done in fun and humor. Notice those smiley faces.
sorry I missed the humor.... call it a defensive reaction,,, my fault... touche
The very fact that you failed to even see the humor, that until you chimed up I was happy to leave as my only response here, thus reacting I believe from a position of insecurity in your own beliefs is IMO very telling.
your opinion is incorrect here.... there are not many things in life one can be sure of... this is one I am very confident in

Or was it the fact that I thumbed up FedExer for having the guts to challenge with a contraian POV? I may or may not agree with him on all points but I enjoy those who dare pose a contraian idea. And even in christian circles among people who still believe, there are questions and debate about the origins of the biblical texts.
nothing wrong with debates and differing opinions. That isnt the problem the some of us had with some of FedEx's comments.

The fact is, the only proof of heaven that you have is what is written in a book from a collection of narratives collected over time, written by authors who are of some debate and in fact tell multiple and often conflicting ideas of god as being the actual sources and that the book itself only became cannon after a group of men gathered for political purposes voted on that book in a majority wins setting.
That is one way to put it I guess. Unbelievers often find themselves searching for ways to prove just how wrong and silly those bible thumpers are.

What you also ignored is the possibility that I've looked at science and advanced physics and concluded that it is possible that alternate dimensions may exist and therefore it's also possible that some manner of afterlife may indeed be possible. You also ignore that looking at just the atomic structure of life (matter) and how precise, not even advancing into other phases and means of other forms of matter and life, ie single cell, multi-cell, animal or human, it's hard to ignore that this design may indeed not be random at all and it does show a huge measure of intelligence. Maybe it's just the fact that I see "potential evidence" of some force, energy or higher presence not as something that fits neatly into a personified little box and then manipulated by men for their own purposes but rather a vast potential, one we may not be able to explain or comprehend yet we can sit in awe at the granduer and beauty we can see if we only look.
Not sure if this is which direction this thread should head, but this is the one area I focus on the most in defense of the Creator. Of all the studies that you have done, have you checked out "Answers in Genesis" or the writings of "Jonathan Sarfati"? Just to name 2. Probably wont change your thought, but it does address everything you just mentioned.

What about the human soul?
That question will probably never be answered while we are alive

So many would say you can't know the mind of God and I would agree but yet are you not suggesting in many respects via the book known as the bible that one can in fact know the mind of God? The secret formula of winning God's big lottery, the means of knowing future events and the precise and exact manner of how we should live, act and think?
Not exactly as simple as "knowing the mind of God" and it's not a lottery at all. The formula is just that simple though. It is spelled out exactly what to do to go to heaven. The bible is simply a teaching tool when it comes to how you should wish to live your life. You simply cant bring yourself to believe it "starts" that simple because you are a very intelligent person that demands a complete and utter logic to everything before you will believe. Good luck in that because there is no "complete undeniable" truth that can answer your questions. You just have to pick your side or remain undecided.

You're free to believe as you like as my own wife and daughters believe and attend church regularly, one daughter plays in the church band. I even encourage it because it works for them. My wife needs a completely different way to see and experience god than I and therefore needs things presented in such a way that she feels comfortable. From my POV, there is no eternal harm believing in heaven and hell or whatever suits your fancy but look at the bright side, if I'm wrong there's one less person in heaven and you'll just enjoy more eternal space to have the good life!
just the opposite, I hope you can be there with me.

WKmac, I apologize for taking your post out of context. I read it once and responded. We have been friends on here for a while and I in no way meant to present that kind of confrontation. All was meant for debate only on my part

wkmac

Tourist,

No harm, sorry myself if I seem to come across rather harsh. To say that any one of us has all the answers, the exact keys that unlock all the doors would IMHO be foolhardy at the least. Even christians themselves don't agree on the exact course and last I heard there were over 300 various biblical translations of the bible, all differing in some manner in context and form. What about the numerous denominations of christian churches? They can't all be right can they?

Even here amongst those who profess the christian faith we'd get a wide variety of dogma and doctrine so is God so scrambled that he/she (I personally dislike these personafied human terms but it does help us in our limited abilities of understanding) has put the divine word and divine revelation in so many conflicts in forms of text? Or is it that man wants to just shape God in his or her own image?
:surprised: Do we in some measure of truth all stand guilty of this? I wouldn't object to that assertion. There in lay my point about human conceived texts we call the inerrant word of god.

Even in the question of afterlife over time beliefs have in fact changed. The hebrew word "sheol" is translated hell, pit, grave in the bible and yet this word over time has had different understandings as to it's intent. Just with the word sheol here is what is called a "liberal" POV and here the "conservative" POV and these aren't meant political terms in the way we've been Pavlov's dog trained to think and react. If the old testament texts used a word, Sheol in this case, would it not be wise to consider that word in the period of time it was used to represent? Just food for thought.

Something to ponder and to me something that proves a powerful point. John Chapter 1 talks about "in the beginning there was the word" and word in the greek is logos or law. Taking that starting point, ponder the commandment "Thou shall not steal" and then imagine for a period of one year all of mankind could follow that commandment in perfection. What would that world be like? This is an exercise I do with my kids where we ponder a world where people followed the commandments against stealing, murder (theft of life if you will) coveiting, false witness. How would the world around us be and what would become obsolete that we consider pillars of our lives? It would truly shock and astound you if you pondered and you'd begin to see just how far away we are in our world today for just following these basic precepts but the flipside of this is you begin to see the beauty, wonderment and perfections in moral and ethical behavior among men if we'd just set out in that course. People see Jesus bringing a message of eternal life, eternal is the greek word eonian which means "of an age". We get the word eon from eonain and do we believe eon to mean eternal? Where you see heaven above from Jesus, I see an age of heaven on earth with a society of moral and ethical people. "Do unto others" IMO was a direct linkage back to the commandments that cover person to person life. That is nothing more than natural law found across the spectrum of mankind. These commandments were also found in the Egyptian Book of the Dead that predated the comandments given at Sinai and a chief pillar of life and custom from the one just departed from.

Try sometime to imagine society in the manner I spoke above and see what ideas you develop. It will amaze and if you ponder enough you'll never look the same at our society again so be forewarned! Didn't Jesus warn the same thing?

JimJimmyJames makes a good point about the natural revelation of god rather than man's revelation of god and once I started down that path and looking at nature's wonder I clearly saw the fingerprint of what we call God. You could say or it's IMO that nature itself and natural forces is the word of God and the means by understanding what we call God. I don't personify God anymore, at least I try (old habits and bad at that) because I don't know exactly what that force is but I don't think it would fit human terms or vision. Many would suggest the bible as the means of knowing God but remember regardless of all said, IMO this book has proven at best to be man's revelation of his understanding of God and what God wants of us. There are many good things in it, many which are of and fit natural law but there are also other things that violate and conflict with natural law of morals and ethics and then the question must arise of whom's self interests are served by such teachings?

The old saying of never discuss religion only applies if one takes an authoraterain view that their belief is the only way possible. Once freedom to believe one's own path enters the picture, where is the point in which conflict begins? Where's the opposition that kicks in the defense mode? No one is prevented from his/her beliefs and the beauty of that is then people feel at ease to openly express their beliefs and often times much common ground is discovered followed by understanding and respect. And this transcends religion to all manner of life IMO. We don't all eat the same food, wear the same cloths or drive the same car and are completely free to do so but belief in the greater things of life should be that way as well yet do we never discuss food, cloths or the family car in polite company?

"Do unto others as you'd have them do undo you!"

WOW! What a remarkable concept if we'd only begin to follow that very ideal! But it's an ideal we still all stumble to achieve.

Be Cool! :peaceful:

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
I know I'm not the most popular guy on this site, but I'm getting tired of a couple of "God Squad" members tossing God into every topic in site. I'm cool with you being one of God's buddies, but please don't inject Him (reverent capitals) into stuff where He (more reverence) doesn't belong.

I like Christians, and sometimes I even think I believe too, but I can't stand "HypoChristians, the hypocrite born-agains who talk the talk and don't walk the walk. Talk about turning people off on religion. Stay off my doorstep and out of discussions where God has absolutely freaking NOTHING to do with the topic. BLESS YOU!!!
Don't like it ??? CALL THE ACLU !!! Tell them the Brown Cafe offends you !!

wkmac

This isn't an insult? Admit it, you've had a problem with me being on here from the get-go. In the early days, whenever someone would go into attack mode because someone purple was here, you'd be right there backing them up with your own peculiar brand of venom. As a moderator, I expected a somewhat more mature approach on your part. You still can't stand it, and whenever you can, you strike.

Your reference to the "great" Ronald Reagan probably explains a lot about your take on politics, God, and a moderate like myself. It's ironic that someone who works for a unionized company as an hourly reveres an individual who did more than any other President to bring the unions down. Remember PATCO? One would think a "genius" would see the logical disconnect there, but apparently not. Your even belonging to a union goes against everything Reagan believed in. That clown helped destroy the middle class and did everything possible to take care of his rich friends in the defense industry. And you worship the guy.

Keep on insulting me. and I'll keep right on taking you to the woodshed for your daily intellectual "beating". By the way, "Barnie" spells his name B-A-R-N-E-Y. One would think a big fan like you would know that. Keep trying...

Don't know your history do you?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Don't know your history do you?

I'm not sure I get your angle. Ronald Reagan hated unions and did everything he could to help bring them down. SatelliteDriver quotes Reagan in a reverent manner, and it seems ironic that a Reagan-lover would belong to a union at all.

Reagan used the air traffic controllers (PATCO) as an example of how he was going to deal with unions. Life for the unions went downhill rapidly thereafter. What's wrong with my history or the irony of a Reaganite belonging to a union? After all, wouldn't a God-loving, apple pie-eating Free Market American refuse to belong to a godless,Commie-loving, Leftist organization like the Teamsters?

bbsam

Staff member
After some cursory research I have learned that when our pets die they go to a place called The Rainbow Bridge. I find this oddly reassuring.
Have you considered the possibility that after 8 years of Bush-Cheney that said bridge may not be structurally sound? I hope you find this thought equally disconcerting.:peaceful: