Biden asks Congress to avert railroad strike.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
Wanna know a secret?

Laws are only good as the paper they're written on until someone has the will to enforce it

Biden is cracking down because he WANTS to crack down, no more no less

There's no such thing as automatic enforcement

He and Congress are totally acting within the law.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
1669897248984.png

Box Ox

Railway Labor Act applies to railroads and scheduled airlines. Fred S got FedEx determined as a scheduled airline which makes it about impossible to unionize.

I guess what I’m more specifically wondering is whether there might be room for Congress to maneuver under the RLA to prevent a strike if any part of UPS has a railway component. Otherwise I’m back to wondering why some folks think Congress might have the power to intervene against a UPS strike.

vantexan

I guess what I’m more specifically wondering is whether there might be room for Congress to maneuver under the RLA to prevent a strike if any part of UPS has a railway component. Otherwise I’m back to wondering why some folks think Congress might have the power to intervene against a UPS strike.
UPS is under the National Labor Relations Act. Anything Congress can do towards a UPS strike will have to be in accordance with NLRA provisions. They'd have to vote to move UPS under the RLA in order for it to apply.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I'm confused. Could the Railway Labor Act be used to prevent a UPS strike or not?
No. Railroads and airlines are governed under the RLA (Railway Labor Act), UPS is a trucking company, and is governed under the NLRA (National Labor Relations Act).

Nah
He and his conductor both contracted COVID in 2020 at a time when all of the Class I railroads had slashed their workforces because of precision scheduled railroading (PSR) running longer trains with fewer employees. Around the same time, the rail carriers had made major cuts to middle management and ground employees, forcing him and others “to do more with less.”

Unable to work for three days because of COVID, he received a call from his dispatcher threatening disciplinary action if he did not return to work.

“I had friends that I worked with for 20 years who died of COVID, but we couldn’t even go to their funerals without facing scrutiny by management,” the engineer said. “We had no choice but to work.”