Biden asks Congress to avert railroad strike.

Nah
What's crazy is that Democrats don't have to do this. They can extend the negotiations. They can appoint a new mediator.

Democrats are choosing the worst option.

I hope they strike anyway.

Wishful thinking, I know.

newfie

1669832492849.png

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Three years of rail workers' negotiations with management over this issue could soon culminate in an economy-disrupting strike, after the latest tentative agreement included just one paid personal day off a year. That's too far from the 15 days of paid sick leave that rail workers pushed for, and which railroads argue would cost them $688 million a year.
"People are going to work with the flu, and working around very dangerous equipment sick because we have no time off," a BNSF railway conductor of over a decade told Insider. "When you're on call 24 hours a day, seven days a week, you can't schedule a doctor's appointment or dentist appointment, take the day off for your wife's birthday. I mean, it's just made it nearly impossible to get any time off."
"People watched our industry shrink itself and watch the railroads demand more and more and more out of us, and discipline people for being sick or their family being sick," Michael Paul Lindsey, a locomotive engineer in Idaho who is a steering-committee member for Railroad Workers United, told Insider.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Three years of rail workers' negotiations with management over this issue could soon culminate in an economy-disrupting strike, after the latest tentative agreement included just one paid personal day off a year. That's too far from the 15 days of paid sick leave that rail workers pushed for, and which railroads argue would cost them $688 million a year.
"People are going to work with the flu, and working around very dangerous equipment sick because we have no time off," a BNSF railway conductor of over a decade told Insider. "When you're on call 24 hours a day, seven days a week, you can't schedule a doctor's appointment or dentist appointment, take the day off for your wife's birthday. I mean, it's just made it nearly impossible to get any time off."
"People watched our industry shrink itself and watch the railroads demand more and more and more out of us, and discipline people for being sick or their family being sick," Michael Paul Lindsey, a locomotive engineer in Idaho who is a steering-committee member for Railroad Workers United, told Insider.

Is this really all just about sick pay or is this the narrative the Dems and the drive-by media are pushing?

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Is this really all just about sick pay or is this the narrative the Dems and the drive-by media are pushing?
“It’s not everything I would like to see. I think that we should have paid sick leave,” Pelosi said. “Every country, every developed country in the world has it. We don’t. But nonetheless, we we have an improved situation. And again, I don’t like going against the ability of the unions to strike, but weighing the equities, we must avoid a strike.”

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
“It’s not everything I would like to see. I think that we should have paid sick leave,” Pelosi said. “Every country, every developed country in the world has it. We don’t. But nonetheless, we we have an improved situation. And again, I don’t like going against the ability of the unions to strike, but weighing the equities, we must avoid a strike.”
Too bad Washington doesn't go on permanent strike.

Nah
So Sean is applauding this.
I think it is sooooo wrong to allow the government into OUR business
So Sean was a snake after all. Glad I'm not at UPS anymore. And that I didn't vote for him (left just before the election, I actually got a ballot so I could have voted lol).

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
So what happens if they strike after Brandon's congress tells them not to?
I'm guessing the union gets fined?
I'd walk, union is no good to us if we cant strike.
under the Railway labor Act of 1926 The government can legally stop a RAILROAD strike.
This does not apply to UPS.
It sux big time for teh Railroad workers that the Act is in place but its totally legal