Biden asks Congress to avert railroad strike.

Nah
under the Railway labor Act of 1926 The government can legally stop a RAILROAD strike.
This does not apply to UPS.
It sux big time for teh Railroad workers that the Act is in place but its totally legal
That doesn't answer his question. How are they gonna stop it?

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
Air Traffic Controllers were and are government employees. Railroad employees are not.

So how is congress and/or the president going to block an "illegal" strike from taking place?
Railraod Employees arent government employees but under the Railway Labor Act they can be fired for an illegal strike. Since Congress ( completely within thier rights) has declared a strike would not be legal then under the act the RR can legally fire the workers if the strike.
Can they be replaced is anyones guess.
This law is crap but it is the law

Nah
Railraod Employees arent government employees but under the Railway Labor Act they can be fired for an illegal strike. Since Congress ( completely within thier rights) has declared a strike would not be legal then under the act the RR can legally fire the workers if the strike.
Can they be replaced is anyones guess.
This law is crap but it is the law
The railroad can fire them, yes. But how are they going to replace them? Depending on position, it can take weeks or months to train replacements. In the meantime, the trains still aren't moving. What then? And THAT'S assuming they can even find enough interested people. Unemployment is still pretty low, and a lot of people don't want to work. Especially in those conditions.

It seems to me that this is a great opportunity for the workers to take a stand and defy congress and the president. If they strike, and everybody else backs down, great. If they strike, and they start getting arrested and/or fired, the trains don't move and the problem doesn't get resolved. For the companies and the politicians, a wildcat strike situation turns into a "heads they win/tails I lose" situation.

This whole situation just goes to show that companies can bargain in bad faith if they have some reason to believe the government will waltz in and impose a bad deal on the workers. Why would you ever bargain in good faith if you believed from the start that the government will take your side anyway? "We don't need to negotiate, the pro-labor president has our back and he'll stop them from striking!"

What's the point of even having a union?

Nah
I just think these railworkers are in a unique position to get what they want and humiliate congress and the president all at once.

And who could possibly be against that?

Sacrificial Lamb

Package Shepherd
There is no point to unions at all if every strike can (and will) be averted by invoking national security or the economic impact

the total cooperation of corporations and unions with the govt is the literal textbook definition of fascism (not the fake Twitter outrage definition)
The answer to 1984 is 1776.

newfie

under the Railway labor Act of 1926 The government can legally stop a RAILROAD strike.
This does not apply to UPS.
It sux big time for teh Railroad workers that the Act is in place but its totally legal
the clinton administration still intervened behind closed doors.
Alexis herman the labor secretary sat in on the negotiations and one point threatened UPS with a flurry of regulatory actions if these negotiations didnt get settled.

not sure if they strong armed Carey at all but shortly after the strike they announced the investigation into his financial activities.

so while you are correct that legally the government can not force you back they have intervened in other ways in the one strike UPS had.

not sure if they would do so this time. the logistics networks present now have increased their ability to absorb ups volume this time where there was no way they could do so in 97.

amazon has been building a network and looking to compete with ups .
fdx has been faltering and would probably love to be able to cherry pick the highly profitable ups volume they would take.

personally I'm glad I'm gone. I think a strike would be a suicide pact with the competition UPS now faces. I hope I'm wrong I still have some fondness for the company i used to work for.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
Ummmm….
Doesn’t that door swing both ways between labor and liberals?
“Teamsters Pledge”??? LOL

Guess I should specify. By labor I meant the workers themselves. The unions and the Democratic party though take turns blowing each other.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
I just think these railworkers are in a unique position to get what they want and humiliate congress and the president all at once.

And who could possibly be against that?
I agree. I dont think they could replace an entire workforce at once and I totally support the workers sticking up everyones ass.
However the Union would be on the hook for losses incurred during the illegal strike and you can rest assured the speed and ferocity of legal action taken against the Union could bankrupt it quickly.

Nah
I agree. I dont think they could replace an entire workforce at once and I totally support the workers sticking up everyones ass.
However the Union would be on the hook for losses incurred during the illegal strike and you can rest assured the speed and ferocity of legal action taken against the Union could bankrupt it quickly.
If I'm a member of one of those unions at this point I'm willing to throw it under the bus to wake them up. They need to be reminded their members are their bosses, and their priority.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
Railway Labor Act of 1926
don;t like it but it's the law
Wanna know a secret?

Laws are only good as the paper they're written on until someone has the will to enforce it

Biden is cracking down because he WANTS to crack down, no more no less

There's no such thing as automatic enforcement

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
The answer to 1984 is 1776.
wikipedia-rebellions-united-states-incomplete-expanding-95b7797d77022525-fe948975e9c2c693.jpg