Black Friday 2016

Is Black Friday a Holiday for Package Handlers (Off Time)

• Total voters

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
It's an option day for us drivers in 177. But at this point the dm is pretty much begging us to come in as he claims that following Monday will be peak day and they want to alleviate work Friday.
Tell him it will be peak day either way. We worked Black Friday last year, I still went out with over 400 stops the Monday afterwards. Doesn't matter.

PT Car Washer

Ok thats formative PT. I work in Small Sort and got hired a few weeks ago.
If you were only hired a few weeks ago I would say your chances of working would be close to zero. Other then preload all the other sorts will either not be working or running a skeleton crew of 6 or less. Rest up because the Monday after all Hell breaks lose.

km3

Please keep in mind I'm a package handler not a driver, so driver requirements on black friday may differ then package handlers.

Either way, I suggest you start pumping up your GPA now, because in December, UPS will own your ass. I damn near missed finals last year. Fortunately, I had the forsesight to make an arrangement with my instructor, but still. Could've gotten ugly.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
If you were only hired a few weeks ago I would say your chances of working would be close to zero. Other then preload all the other sorts will either not be working or running a skeleton crew of 6 or less. Rest up because the Monday after all Hell breaks lose.
We do Saturday ground here. Might have a full Friday operation.

PT Car Washer

We do Saturday ground here. Might have a full Friday operation.
Keep us informed about how the Saturday ground operation works. Sups and managers at my building don't have a clue. The hub will start working an extra Saturday sort after Thanksgiving to advance the volume for Mondays.

PT Car Washer

Our Saturday Ground operation debut was pushed back until February , but was just told we are operating Saturday as well as Black Friday.
We always work Saturday Air after Thanksgiving. Usually super light deliveries but super heavy pick ups as we start picking up ground packages from the UPS stores instead of just air.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

We always work Saturday Air after Thanksgiving. Usually super light deliveries but super heavy pick ups as we start picking up ground packages from the UPS stores instead of just air.

Last year Black Friday was a "regular" day, similar to the volume and delivery on Good Friday. This year, SAT will be like Good Friday and Black Friday.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Either way, I suggest you start pumping up your GPA now, because in December, UPS will own your ass. I damn near missed finals last year. Fortunately, I had the forsesight to make an arrangement with my instructor, but still. Could've gotten ugly.
UPS can't force any PT over five hours. The impression you are giving is built inside your mind and not based upon reality. Because UPS pushes its shifts back several hours does not mean your life needs to change any.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
My hub has run optional sorts Saturday and Sunday after thanksgiving past 3 years. And basically every weekend till Christmas. I'd get 50 hours or so and take home $500 a week when I was PT and thought I had it made.

PT Car Washer

My hub has run optional sorts Saturday and Sunday after thanksgiving past 3 years. And basically every weekend till Christmas. I'd get 50 hours or so and take home $500 a week when I was PT and thought I had it made.
Must have been many years ago. I am thinking maybe $2k to 2.5k bagging smalls for seven days of double shifting.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Must have been many years ago. I am thinking maybe $2k to 2.5k bagging smalls for seven days of double shifting.
Started at $8.50 an hour in 2012, overtime was gold, double time was unreal. Never double shifted.... just Sundays, then it was straight overtime on Fridays, and double time Saturdays.

km3

UPS can't force any PT over five hours. The impression you are giving is built inside your mind and not based upon reality. Because UPS pushes its shifts back several hours does not mean your life needs to change any.

Not saying you're wrong, but if you have contract language to back that up, I'd love to see it. I'm not taking classes this semester, so it doesn't matter to me, but would be good for future reference.

Last peak, there was a day when midnight ran 10+ hours. Started at 22.50, ended at 8.75. I had a finals review that day. Arguably hurt my grade. Would've been nice to know at the time.