Black Friday 2016

Is Black Friday a Holiday for Package Handlers (Off Time)

• Total voters

ITwannabe

I'm a fairly new employee so calling out wont be an option. I will just have to go in, I was just curious because I heard over the past several years that it Black Friday was accounted for as an holiday, and I was also curious due to the fact that its on a friday and not a real set week work schedule.
Being new doesn't mean anything....I got hired right before peak as a full time driver and called off two days around thanksgiving which they told us low seniority drivers we would be working....if you have sick days and don't have attendance problems they can't do anything to u. And guess what. when I got back they didn't say a word to me. UPS takes a lot from your life....don't let them take your balls

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Because the contract says it is. Also, so employees can get one last chance to visit family across the country during the holidays, since they can't take Christmas week off.
You are mistaken. The only 2 locals who have supplements which still list the day after Thanksgiving as a "holiday" and therefore seniority employees are not required to work are 177 and 804.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Double time for all time worked plus 8hrs, yes please. On top of that since we are running Saturday ground, Saturday will be at 1.5 hourly rate. Think my record for a weekly check was $29xx.xx, I can't recall off the top of my head.

Just looked, was $2918.74, net after taxes and union dues, $2056.89.

Last edited:
Double time for all time worked plus 8hrs, yes please. On top of that since we are running Saturday ground, Saturday will be at 1.5 hourly rate. Think my record for a weekly check was $29xx.xx, I can't recall off the top of my head.

Just looked, was $2918.74, net after taxes and union dues, $2056.89.
We only get time and a half here for black Friday

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You are mistaken. The only 2 locals who have supplements which still list the day after Thanksgiving as a "holiday" and therefore seniority employees are not required to work are 177 and 804.

This is actually untrue. The operational change was made after the supplements were ratified.

Black Friday is still listed as a paid holiday in our supplement.

clean hairy

In the Southern, article 49 (local supplement) page 208 section 1.
any part-time employee in the case of emergency (and the Managements lack of planning IS an Emergency!) work beyond the 5th hour, the employee shall be paid time and one half for all hours for all hours worked past the 5th hour per shift"

True, start time can only be adjusted by 1 hour, (start time at 6, you can only be changed to a start time of 5) But, suppose they want to start the sort at 2, I feel that might come under the "Extra work" provision of the contract. So, they can ask for volunteers for the earlier start time, and process what they can with the reduced workforce.

The Co. can at the start of the sort indicate the day is projected for 6.5 hrs.
The employees are all expected to stay until the work is done.

km3

My copy of the central region supplement says it's a holiday.

It kind of contradicts itself, though. On one line, it says we can't be required to work, and on another it says if we are required to work, it's double time. As far as I can tell, the only holiday they truly can't make us work is Labor Day, which requires permission from the local union.

SnakePlissken

If I put in for an optional day/split vacation for Black Friday a few weeks in advance and wasn't given notice I couldn't have it within the required 8 days-- do I get the day off or not?

They have me listed to work on the schedule that day as of right now.

My question: If people can have that day off for vacation, shouldn't that mean I can have it off as an optional/split vacation day?

35years

Gravy route
If I put in for an optional day/split vacation for Black Friday a few weeks in advance and wasn't given notice I couldn't have it within the required 8 days-- do I get the day off or not?

They have me listed to work on the schedule that day as of right now.

My question: If people can have that day off for vacation, shouldn't that mean I can have it off as an optional/split vacation day?
Don't listen to Upstate, he makes up rules and assumes all supplements are the same as his.

If the master and/or your regional/local supplements allow option/split vacation days up to the week after Thanksgiving, and they did not respond to your request in the time allotted...you get the day off. Make sure you know the rule/wording before you talk to them about it. Around here your Option day would have to be honored if they did not respond 8 days in advance. I don't recall the deadline required for denying a split vacation day, but check your language/ call your B.A.

As always CYRLS (check your regional/local supplement). Ours does not allow option or split vacation days after Thanksgiving.

Also realize management may try to deny even though they can't. Call your B.A. before you confront them.

Last edited:

1080Driver

Where is 177 and 804 located?
804 is NYC, Long Island, Westchester and Putnam counties. Thanksgiving is obviously a holiday with no operations and the Friday is still a holiday but there are full operations. They've been begging for us to to come in, but can't force us in. I'll take the 4 day weekend before peak, thank you.

Rack em

Made the Podium
My supplement has the day after Thanksgiving listed as a holiday. Western region, local 2.