Black Friday 2016

Is Black Friday a Holiday for Package Handlers (Off Time)

• Total voters

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Not saying you're wrong, but if you have contract language to back that up, I'd love to see it. I'm not taking classes this semester, so it doesn't matter to me, but would be good for future reference.

Last peak, there was a day when midnight ran 10+ hours. Started at 22.50, ended at 8.75. I had a finals review that day. Arguably hurt my grade. Would've been nice to know at the time.
It's a part-time job. Nowhere does it say, contract or otherwise, you are full-time for Christmas. LOL

km3

It's a part-time job. Nowhere does it say, contract or otherwise, you are full-time for Christmas. LOL

Well, Article 37 says that employees shall work in a manner that best represents the interests of the employer. The contract goes both ways. During the busiest time of the year, in an industry where the work is done when the work is done (no specific end time like in retail), it seems to me that an argument could easily be made that PTers can be expected to stay until they're not needed anymore.

That's why I want contract language to backup what you said. I would love for it to be true, but I've never heard that anywhere but on this forum (I recall another user saying the same thing a while back).

UnconTROLLed

perfection
No where does it say you can decide to leave after 5 hours and keep your job either though. I've seen more than one new hire walk out and quit because HR lied to them about the hours.
Here in New England, UPS can only change your start time +/- one hour. I know it is local practice but it is common knowledge that part-time employees are PART TIME and have other obligations.

UPS is going to discipline you for not working full-time hours, at their whim? C'mon, grow a pair :D What is their basis for discipline?

BrownTexas

For this year Black Friday, November 25 (friday right after thanksgiving) is that an holiday off for UPS package handlers? I have an important trip to go to that weekend and was curious if that was off since time requested is usually put on hold during the holiday season. Thanks
If you have made seniority, 30 days or more, I wouldn't worry about coming in. It is a paid holiday and you cannot be forced to work. They will say you are required but it is a lie and is optional.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Insubordination? Job abandonment?
If you have another job to go to at 9:30 am, from the preload, are you going to get fired/disciplined for job abandonment? I am talking about the "normal" career/"job" :P

If you are a PART TIME employee you should not be working FULL-TIME hours. There is no reason ever for a part-time employee to work over six hours, nevermind eight.

km3

If you have another job to go to at 9:30 am, from the preload, are you going to get fired/disciplined for job abandonment? I am talking about the "normal" career/"job" :P

If you are a PART TIME employee you should not be working FULL-TIME hours. There is no reason ever for a part-time employee to work over six hours, nevermind eight.

Double-shifting? I get 10-12 hours all the time...I know, not what you meant, but still.

If you are FULL-TIME school you should be doing that full-time, not slaving away for 8 cents/package onto an extendo :D

Agreed. But UPS doesn't care. They will fire you if you walk out because in your mind, you've worked enough hours for that particular day. I've seen it happen.

What I was hoping for was some kind of basis for what you were saying, either contractual, or from the national grievance panel, so that I and my fellow co-workers could be better informed for the future. "I'm only part-time" won't get you your job back, in my building, if you're fired for walking out at 5.01 hours. "I'm sorry, and it won't happen again" will. Period.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Double-shifting? I get 10-12 hours all the time...I know, not what you meant, but still.

Agreed. But UPS doesn't care. They will fire you if you walk out because in your mind, you've worked enough hours for that particular day. I've seen it happen.

What I was hoping for was some kind of basis for what you were saying, either contractual, or from the national grievance panel, so that I and my fellow co-workers could be better informed for the future. "I'm only part-time" won't get you your job back, in my building, if you're fired for walking out at 5.01 hours. "I'm sorry, and it won't happen again" will. Period.
This should never be an issue if you are not extending beyond your normal work hours. If your normal start time is say, 4am on the preload, then UPS can start you at 3am. (locally) It is highly unlike you will be working past 9 or the latest 9:30. The same logic can be applied to any hub shift. If a twilight hub shift starts at 6pm, you can't be forced to come in at 3pm.

If you double-shift, that is a different animal and you are volunteering for FT hours, but you understand that.

Part-time is not a career nor a full-time responsibility.

km3

The only thing close to that which we have here is a local practice that you can't be forced to perform work for other shifts. If midnight runs 10 hours, like it did last year, they can't force you to help preload wrap up too. They can't force a twilight sorter back on the sort aisle to help midnight.

They can't start earlier than 4:30 anyway, since noonday is still running at that point.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

In the past, black friday was premium services only, and usually filled by high-seniority going for the easy double time.

I used to work all of those "non operational" days. We would get straight time for hours worked on top of the holiday pay. We would generally work 4-5 hours and then go home to our families.